Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 December 2004
I was pleasantly surprised by the book, as I half expected the original 1814 stories to be changed to suit younger children, but I was very happy to find the tales remain as they was when they were originally written just as I wanted. Some of the tales are quite dark but don't let that put you off as they contain important morals within them.
The short stories really give you a feel of older times and what it must have been like in the 1700's 1800's.
The tales are quite different from the modern day versions adapted for young children.
I have been reading the tales to my younger brother & sister (9 yrs & 13 yrs) before bed, and they enjoy the stories as much as I do in there original version. Some tales my brother & sister have found amusing for example LAZY JACK.
The illustrations in this book are few & far between & not very goo in my opinion anyway, which I see as a positive side as they can then captivate the imagination which is a more powerful tool than the use of pictures.
This book includes some of the famous fairy tales we all know & love but you will see them in another light when you read the original versions of them. I much rather prefer the old versions myself.
They are also good to read to slightly older children (age 7 & above I'd say) as it will make them think more about the message behind the tales.
Excellent value for money!
on 5 February 2004
This was the first book I decided to read to my baby daughter. She is a little too young to offer any feedback on the stories so I will offer my opinion. I was shocked to read what we assume are the original versions of stories such as "Babes in the wood" and "Little red riding hood". If like me your memory of "Red Riding Hood" ends with the woodcutter killing the wolf...then you would be shocked to find out what happens in this version! Many of the stories are quite dark. However, most if not all contain important morales. The illustrations are few and far between and I would not be quick to mention them as a selling point! However, for the price I don't think you can complain.
These aren't your watered-down, bowdlerised, Disney fairy tales. These are original (as far as originality is applicable) English fairy tales as they were told of old, in their full, raw violence and crudeness.
The price is great, but for that you get a cheap-feeling paperback. If you just want to read them yourself, go ahead. But if you got attracted by Rackham's illustrations, better wait for a more beautiful edition.
on 14 June 2015
This is a fabulous book which I had as a little girl. Mine was not as nice a copy as this one but its the stories that I love it for, my favourite being Childe Rowland. I searched high and low to find this story and it was only by chance that I ever did. One always assumes fairy stories come from Hans Christian Anderson or the Brothers Grimm. Well none of these included were ever penned by the aforenamed. These are in some cases perhaps a little less known but no less enjoyable stories and I bought this for my collection because I loved it so much. However everyone knows the 3 Bears, The 3 Little Pigs, Jack and the Beanstalk and Dick Whittington? They also know Tom Tit Tot (I hope) and also Red Riding Hood. Others that I love and recommend are Mr and Mrs Vinegar (who live in a bottle), Henny Penny, the Black Bull of Norraway and Caporushes. These are really lovely stories and there are loads of them. Children will be enthralled especially when read out loud. They are totally enchanting.

This hard back would make a lovely present for a child to be read to (some of the words are quite hard) and a delight on any book shelf.

Now can anyone help me track down a copy of a fairy story called the HAIRY BOGGART? Genuine thanks if you can
on 13 July 2015
I originally bought it to read to my grandchildren ( aged 3), however it seems to be designed for much older children- no pictures and the text is small together with a vocabulary that is probably gauged for older children- I would guess 8yrs and over. However Im sure it will be appreciated in later years
on 28 December 2013
This is a good selection of Fairy Tales. Who cares whether they are English or not? Not me. Not children either, I would think. We all just like a good story, & this is a pretty decent collection.
on 23 October 2014
I like this book and wonder whether teachers today are bothered to use good material for their lessons in the primary school class.
on 22 May 2013
I've just started reading it to my grandson who loves it even though he is only 2 1/2 years old.
on 15 February 2016
Disappointed. Expecting pictures. Bought for a three year old. Given to a charity.
on 5 March 2015
Excellent Product and prompt delivery.