4.0 out of 5 stars Aesop's Fables
Published on 24 Mar. 2009 by Spider Monkey

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful pictures, but short on the story
Aesop's fables are beautifully, beautifully illustrated in this edition - I'm glad i got it just for the pictures, which are lovely.
I should say, the prose is wooden and parsed in some cases (eg: the dog and his reflection) to the point of being quite befuddling if you don't already know the story.
If you're happy reading this to your children and embellishing...
Published on 6 Sept. 2005 by Mr. Philip Duncan

3.0 out of 5 stars beautiful pictures, but short on the story, 6 Sept. 2005
If you're happy reading this to your children and embellishing the stories yourself from memory it's a great buy for the pictures, which are charming and full of details, otherwise try another edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aesop's Fables, 24 Mar. 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Paperback)
This `Aesops Fables' is a beautifully illustrated, but inexpensive, edition of this book beloved by adults and children everywhere. You get all the fables with the addition of excellent line drawings to illustrate the various tales. The fables are very short and simple and are usually only a paragraph or two. Occasionally they will have a sentence underneath explaining the moral of the fable but generally you are left to work it our for yourself. A few of the fables seem to have no point whatsoever, they are simply a telling of a conversation between two animals for example, but not every fable has to have a moral or meaning behind it for you to enjoy it. As one of my friends pointed out, there are some quite dark tales in here, like one animal flaying another animals skin to wear it, and I guess in todays sanitised society this may shock some parents or kids, but this is pretty benign stuff and classic children's literature that can teach some valuable lessons. It is surprising just how many of these fables you know from your own childhood and how many of todays everyday phrases come from these stories. This would be perfect for bedtime stories as the fables are short, often involve talking animals and carry a message. A classic book and a simple yet attractive edition. Worth a look.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aesop as I remember him, 20 Aug. 2010
Lovely book, with simple morals at the end of the stories. I also have Michale Murpurgos version but find it too simplistic, to the point where the morals are a bit wishy washy. I much prefer this version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading details, 6 Jan. 2011
Bob (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
I bought this book for a christmas present, in looking thru the choices of the books available I used the "Look inside" feature which appeared to show a book containing about 200 fables, this appeared to be just what I was looking for so I purchased, I had noted that what I was looking at was from the Paperback edition and I would be sent the Hardback copy. This appeared good as it was for a present the Hardback copy was preferred.
When the book arrived it contained only about 10 fables! Whilst the book and illustrations were very good I think the advert details were VERY MISLEADING, I have since also purchased the "paperback edition" which whilst it has all the fables is as expected not as good quality print, paper, or illustrations.
I was always under the impression that the difference between a paperback copy and a hardback was the covers and lower quality paper and illustrations, NOT as above.

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to morality., 17 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
The truisms reflected in the immortal tales of Aesop are twofold. Firstly, they are unforgettable fairy stories that I recall even after 23 years. Secondly, they are a fun and distracting way of reacquainting our dwindling youth with the concept of morals. It is a marvellous example of seduction rather than instruction. Take,for example, 'The boy who cried wolf.' Children get so carried away with the flow of the story that they absorb the moral without realising it. By the end the child is commenting on how the boy was silly and should not have lied. Brilliant. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aesops Fables for Children (Dover Pictorial Archives), 9 Mar. 2010
The kids love it. Especially the discussions that follow each story. This book contains excellent instructions for both parent and child. Note that the book is written in American.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring Aesop Home, 21 Sept. 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This dazzling Classic Edition of AESOP'S FABLE has my initial concern that the advanced choice of compound words may be too difficult for my young children - but it quickly evaporated as they, intrigued by Aesop's unique fable power, struggled to pronounce them, asked about their meanings and moved on to figure out what had happened and what did the moral say. Through the process, the reservoir of their vocabularies is expanding and these memorable lessons imprint in their minds. The Frog and the Ox. The Wind and the Sun. The Fox and the Grapes. 53 Aesop's best fables were accompanied with magnificently artworks done by distinguished illustrators such as Charles Bennett, Milo Winter and Percy Billinghurst. Bring Aesop home and the kids will be naturally attracted to read about those silly (or wise) animals that act just like real human beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aesop's Fables, 15 April 2010
A. Tomlinson - See all my reviews
Who could forget the story of the Tortoise walloping the Hare, here we have an affordable offering of old style childhoods, when things seemed much simpler and innocent. This book tells the fables in two ways, some have a line about the meaning of the tale others are left for one to work out one's self. Its a good read and great to read to children, although note should be taken that the odd fable is a bit gruesome so careful choice should be made when reciting to the very young. I would recommend this book,its a fair price and good fayre.Aesop's Fables (Wordsworth Children's Classics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated book, 1 Dec. 2011
I have bought this book for my 6 year old for Christmas so I do not know yet her reaction to it but for myself I am very impressed with the book both the collection of stories contained therein and the wonderful illustrations for each story. I would definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aesop's Fables, 14 Dec. 2012
I wanted this book for my 4 year old grandson because his mother and I had enjoyed the fables when chldren.

This edition was comprehensive and beautifully illustrated. However, I should have preferred UK rather than US English spelling -- probably unreasonable given that this was a reprint of a Dover Publications original.

The lengths of individual fables facilitate demands for "another story, please" without postponing bedtime too much.

Aesop's Fables (Wordsworth Children's Classics)
Aesop's Fables (Wordsworth Children's Classics) by Aesop (Paperback - 5 Feb. 1994)