Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2011
I had my little nieces with me for a time. They brought this with them as they had started it at home and were eager to continue. It is wonderful to see them embracing books I cherished as a young girl. This version is a lovely book. I enjoyed the revisit to Heidi's world and especially her personality. We read together and they read more on their own after. A book like this is excellent for encouraging good reading habits.
After reading the average teenage fiction books, and getting extremely fed up with hearing about vampires and romance, I decided to try a few Classic stories. Heidi seems an excellent choice and I read the book within 2 days, after being engrossed into the easy-to-read story line! I also ordered A Little Princess and The Secret Garden, both by Frances Hodgson Burnett, but out of the three Classics, Heidi was clearly the best book and definitely the most interesting! It was far more understandable with less archaic language too!

Being at the grand old age of 13, I did consider whether Heidi was going to be a bit childish for me, but I was proved so very wrong! The tale starts of with 5 year old Heidi being brought to live with her ancient grandfather, who has little contact with people and spends most of his time either inside his hut or making goats milk cheeses. Heidi lives happily with him for a few years and his ways seem to change, but by the time she is 7 or 8 years old, her Aunt Detie collects her again and sends her to live with a family in Frankfurt. Although she is treated well, she longs to live back up on the mountains with her Grandfather. Will she find her way back to where she truly belongs?

Overall a fantastic book which really makes you sympathise for Heidi and feel glad for her luck. Recommend to anyone looking for something a little different. I hope you found this review helpful!
on 30 October 2010
Absolutely love this book. Read it with my 9 year old daughter, who was rather daunted at the small type and the great no. of pages, but once we started, she was so enthralled that she's now described it as her favourite book. Highly recommended.
on 9 August 2010
This was one of my favourite books when I was a child in the 1960s. Every time I have re-read it as an adult, it has made me cry because it is such a wonderful book. The relationships Heidi forms with the other characters ~ grandfather, Peter, Clara, the doctor, Peter's grandmother and Clara's grandmama ~ are expertly written by Johanna Spyri. As a child I wanted to be Heidi, sleeping in the hayloft ~ she seemed to have a magical childhood.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 August 2015
There are a whole range of these Wordsworth Children's Classics now available. I'm collecting the paperback copies for my grandchildren. Heidi, originally published 100 years ago, was my favourite book as a child and tells the story of a little orphan girl who lives with her grandfather in the mountains. He is somewhat grumpy but eventually the two form a loving, caring bond until Heidi is sent to the City. The adventure doesn't work out too well for the little girl and she soon returns to her idyllic life with her grandfather and best friend Peter. Everything works out for the best and Heidi becomes a force for good in the local community. A real feel good story.

This little book runs to approx. 240 pages in the paperback edition, Kindle download available, and is quite small and plain in design. I still have my original copy of the book which is much nicer but also much larger and packed with illustrations. For a bedtime read for younger children the Wordsworth copy is ideal and fits nicely on a shelf without taking up too much room.

Happy to recommend. Well worth the price.
on 20 July 2013
Another £1.99 Wordsworth classic book that I've bought. I read or have them read, to or by the grandchildren depending on their age. I have a few of these books now & love the way the grandchildren have taken to them, I also, to be truthful, enjoy them as its been so long since I read them. I recommend these books without hesitation to everyone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 October 2012
Heidi is the story of a little girl brought to live on the alpine meadows with her grandfather who keeps goats. At first they do not know how to get along but it is lovely to remember Heidi first tasting goats' milk and drinking it all up, a scene that stayed with me from childhood.
As time passes Heidi is then taken down to the town and made to go to school but she is very unhappy and wants to return to the alps and her grandfather.

This is a great way to introduce young people to the idea that people in different countries have different ways of life. The landscape and animals and people are so well drawn that they stay in your mind after you close the book.

The two sequels are Heidi Grows Up and Heidi's Children, written by Charles Tritten, Johanna Speiri's translator. I read them shortly after the first but did not really get into them and they do not really stick in my mind.
on 25 October 2013
How can anyone young or old not love this book. It arrived within 2 days of ordering. Excellent condition and good sized print.
I have several copies of this book already, but I teach Speech & Drama and have to lend copies to students. This was a good price for that purpose.
on 24 July 2011
This was one of my favourites as a child and I was pleased to see that it was still in print. In my opinion it is a timeless classic and well worth buying for this age range. It is also a lovely story to read to children.
on 3 July 2015
DO NOT BUY THIS EDITION. The translation is banal and boring, a factual retelling of the story but lacking all of the beauty and lyricism of the older version. My much loved copy of Heidi (which belonged to my mother and which I read regularly as a child) is falling to bits, so I got this so I could read it to my three children and was horrified. Thankfully I was able to download the old version for free onto my kindle and so am now reading that to them. And who on earth made the decision to change the names of the goats?? Nobody would change Heidi's name and surely the goats are as integral to the story as her!!!!