5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story, beautiffuly written
Published on 9 Feb. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars way too instructional
Had to read this for the Children's Lit course I'm doing. It's one of those books that is very well known but I have never read it, even as a kid. I remember my sister had it but I never felt like reading it. I think I found the title very off-putting, to me it would have sounded dull compared to "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"!

It's a very goody...
Published on 28 Mar. 2010 by Green Book Addict Librarian

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story, beautiffuly written, 9 Feb. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Little Women (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Little Women tells the story of one year in the lives of the four March sisters. The book is told along the lines of Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress and in the book each of the girls has to strive to overcome her weaknesses and to learn lessons about friendhip, family and about herself. Their mother, Marmee, helps to guide them but their lives are influenced by others around them too.
The beauty in Louisa May Alcott's writing is her ability to write pure, moral stories without seeming to look down or preach to her readers. Although the world has moved on a lot since her books were written, they are still relevent and there are things that can be learnt from them.
This is undoubtedly one of my favourite books. When I was younger I just loved the story of the girls but now I like the way the books are written, the use of language and the advice given.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've always Loved Little Women... (Spoilers), 23 Feb. 2010
K. Marks "mysticmoggy" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
I've always loved the first book, ever since I can remember as a child. I was always read to last thing at night and it would be this book I'd point at on the shelf and impress upon Mum that it HAD to be this book. I found myself in Jo so many ways, that it helped to see how she grew. Then as I got older I could read it myself and shortly the book became very worn. I'd watch every version of the film I could but it always made me wonder.. where was the end bit coming from? Why was Laurie proposing to Jo? Then marrying Amy?! What happened, this was NOT in the book! I found the sequels to the first. Ah. Sense was made at last. I bought this copy and began to reread from the beginning continuing to the second. The first, as always, flowed perfectly. The second I thought, was a bit rushed. It was as if L.M Alcott had found out that LW was a success and tried to write something as fast as she could to build upon that. Don't get me wrong, I still love the story, I just wish that it could have been more fleshed out. Some areas were more descriptive than others but over 3 years we heard only a few stories of each Woman's life.

Nevertheless I will still buy the last two books Little Men & Jo's Boys (Wordsworth Classics). I can't help it, I am still an addict of what they do. It is going back on my shelf and most definitely, it will be read again soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars little women, 5 Jun. 2012
this book arrived in neat condition and is a lovely story for anyone wanting this classic for their child or for other purposes such as going on a course for children's literature

5.0 out of 5 stars Two great books in one, 22 Aug. 2012
Two great stories combined in one great paperback. Having the follow up with the original book has kept my daughter enthralled over a week !

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth having Good Wives as well as Little Women, 30 Oct. 2014
Gem of a classic. Definitely worth having Good Wives as well as Little Women. I think the Little Women movie covers both books.

5.0 out of 5 stars a true classic, you cant go wrong !!, 24 Nov. 2010
what more can i say, a classic book, lovely story, one of those books you should be ashamed not to have read !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
My daughter enjoy reading this book.
I am satisfied with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed., 25 Feb. 2015
Jill K. Andrew "JKA" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
Reviewed, very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Women by Louis May Alcott, 5 July 2009
I was very pleased with the product, however, the description did not make it clear that the second book called Jo's Boys was also included in this book. Therfore I bought Jo's Boys aswell which I did not need to do.

3.0 out of 5 stars way too instructional, 28 Mar. 2010

It's a very goody goody book, very instructional, telling the reader by showing what happens to the girls, how you should behave as a "good christian" in the 19th century. It was way too preachy for me. They were always being "good" and when they strayed off the path and did something considered to be not good, there was always some lesson to be learned or some moral to be learned. It was all a bit sickly sweet too.

There were parts that were nice, and funny, and even some very pious romance, but on the whole I think I was right to have avoided this book as a child. I don't want to be lectured by a novel! This book was written for girls and it's a huge contrast to Treasure Island which was written for boys around the same time. That was all adventure and danger and fun, and this was all being good, and working on your flaws, and being a good christian girl. As a book read for the course it makes sense to read it since we are discussing whether children's books should be about instruction or delight, but it was just chock-a-block full of instruction.

Book reviewed 8 Dec 2009

Little Women (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Wordsworth Children's Classics)