5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional books.
I've ordered lots of these traditional books, the price is outstanding & I adore the fact that another generation is enjoying them. I have no hesitation in recommending this book & suggest you order more than one, ideal for unexpected party's/ visits & stocking fillers. Can't praise them enough.
Published 12 months ago by Christine O

3.0 out of 5 stars If it moves, kill it!
Swiss Family Robinson is one of those books that everybody has heard of, but how many have read it? Well I finally got around to reading it and finished it on the train to work this morning. All in all it was a pleasant enough read, but to be honest it didn't blow me away. In fact, for much of the time I was reading it I felt like it was a bit of a chore...
Published on 1 Dec. 2006 by M. Sayles

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional books., 27 May 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars If it moves, kill it!, 1 Dec. 2006
M. Sayles "Michael S" (north west England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)

For a start it's far too long. I have nothing against long books, but there's no need for it here. So much of the story's content is the same old situations re-told but with different 'beasts' or 'wonderful discoveries'. By trimming away some of the 'same old same old' this book would be vastly improved.

The father's almost encyclopaedic knowledge does begin to annoy too; no matter what bizarre animal/mineral/vegetable the children or him discover, the father knows what it is and is also aware of the strange methods needed to treat or prepare it for good use. Where on Earth did he find the time to learn all these bizarre properties and techniques?! The repetition of discoveries and father teaching children how they should be prepared and used just seems to me like an opportunity for JD Wyss to cram in as much of his own knowledge/research as possible - Wyss obviously read Robinson Crusoe and decided to copy the basis of the tale in order that he could show off what he knows on the subject of castaways and the flora & fauna of far-off places - and it is to the detriment of the basic story.

Animal lovers beware: there's a good reason for the title of my review - yes, I appreciate the situation they were in, and the era in which the book is set. But the killing of virtually every living creature they ever come across does seem a bit excessive (is there really a need to drown puppies?) - and ties in with my earlier gripes: firstly, that so much of the story is repeated, albeit with them finding a different beast (and then killing it, with the aid of their "brave dogs"); and secondly, that father knows just what these strange beasts are, and how best their carcasses should be prepared, stored, and which parts of their body are useful for any number of ridiculous purposes!

The basic story is entertaining, and I would have given the book a higher score - but in order for it to get 4 or 5 stars the book should be about 2/3 of its actual length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Jan. 2015
Mr. M. J. Gamble "MotherGoose" (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Good Classic children's read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant read, 14 Mar. 2009
Bookish "JCM" (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
The 'Swiss Family Robinson', never fails to indulge a sense of adventure, no matter my age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess my granddaughters will enjoy this story as much as I did "many moons ago"!, 9 May 2015
Nice looking book

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 17 May 2015
Gift for child

5.0 out of 5 stars family favourite, 29 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
I loved this book as a child, and in turn my son now loves it too... so this copy was a gift for a school friend. It's great for the imagination... "Capital"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good supplier, 13 Sept. 2014
Debbie (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Purchase for school. Very difficult to read for the average teenager. The supplier delivered fast and the copy was in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
This item arrived very quickly as promised, very good value for money. My daughter is thoroughly enjoying it..Thank you. I would recommend this service and would not hesitate to use them again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Kids love this, I love this. Grand Children love this, a tale of survival that will never get old .

Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics)
Swiss Family Robinson (Children's Classics) by Johann Rudolf Wyss (Paperback - 5 May 1993)