4.0 out of 5 stars An honest and lovely read for all ages
I was given this book when I was 7 or 8 and for reasons best known to my juvenile personality decided not to read it, probably because I was an ungrateful little sod.

Published on 11 Jun 2008 by Ed Sexton

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor history lesson
I read this as a child - and it clearly didn't have an impact because it was only as I was re-reading it as an adult I remembered it. It is not very well written which is why it is best left in the children's section. It would fail abysmally in our modern fiction marketplace. The 'children' are not in fact children, they are young adults or 'yoofs' in our modern day...
Published on 7 Feb 2011 by Book Addict

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest and lovely read for all ages, 11 Jun 2008
This review is from: The Children of the New Forest (Wordsworth Children's Classics) (Paperback)

Flash forward twenty years and I discovered this book still in pristine condition on a bookshelf and thought it time I did justice to the kind family friend who had laid it in my possession all those years ago. The main protagonist is my namesake, Edward, and it was with a tear in my eye that I realised this is probably one of the reasons said family friend bought this book for me. Yet another reason to feel guilty at my lack of gratitude.

I do enjoy reading children's books from the 19th century as they are often written in a style and use of vocabulary more advanced than what you find in many modern thrillers and this book is no exception. The reader of this, whether they are young or old is not read down to and will be very quickly sucked in to the story of the children's lives.

The children themselves are likeable characters and it's admirable to watch them stand up for their principles and engage with the adults with a maturity above their years. Plus their honest attitude and complete lack of prejudice really takes you into their world. I kept thinking to myself how today's 15 year olds (or even me at that age) would cope with living off the land and the lack of a Playstation.

The only thing I will say is that some attitudes have inevitably dated which I couldn't help noticing, not least being the fact that the boys hunt and the girls cook, plus the distrust of the gipsy boy. The continual issue throughout of Edward having to pretend to be of less than noble birth reminds the reader of the clear class society existing in the 17th century (when the book is set). Perhaps this isn't too different to today's world and essentially the children in the book set a good example even if they do perhaps look down their noses occasionally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give this to children to encourage and inspire them, 4 Aug 2011
Buy this for your children and get them reading again. I first read this book as a child and loved it. On re-reading very many years later, I still love it. What a refreshing antidote to today's political correctness and misplaced 'human rights'!
Behind a very simple story, personal integrity, common sense and great initiative prevail in this book. As an adult I can now see that it presents a very balanced view politically and warns of the dangers of extremism at both ends of the spectrum. I wish it was required reading and studying in our schools today. We can learn many valuable lessons from the past. Incredible value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars an honest on evocative read, 23 Aug 2009
Mr. P. Skinner (bristol, england) - See all my reviews
if you're looking for a book thats has a complex plot than this is not for you. however if you're looking for a book thats deeply evocative and you can really get lost in than look no further as this is exactly what this is. captain marryatt describes the new forest perfectly. i have been there before about ten years ago and it was exactly as i found it to be in the book. a world of its own, a world completely detatched from the rest of the planet, a place where reality and dreams merge in to one.

the story, set in 1647, starts in when arnwood house, the inheritance of edward beverley is burnt down by cavaliers during the civil war. he his sisters edith and alice and his brother humphrey are then left to make their own way in the forest, under the guidance of jacob armitage, they learn to fend for themselves, but as they grow older they are torn apart by the greater forces of politics and the civil war as edward is forced to make some difficult decisions regarding the inheritance and his responsibilities to his younger siblings. this book is a wonderful read suitable for any body who has a love of literature

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories from the New Forest, 19 Aug 2012
Cher "book worm" (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my grandson but decided to read it myself first. It was a great book with a wonderful storyline and historical facts re the forest, however I did not think my grandson would enjoy it as it is written in old english, but after I read it all my friends are now reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite childrens book, 7 Jan 2007
Janet Wills - See all my reviews
As a child this was my favourite book - and I have never tired of reading it. Thank you Amazon for anabling me to order it to enjoy once again. Unlike WH Smiths - you had it in stock....

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
C. Barker "reflux" (uk) - See all my reviews
Excellent quality book, all children and adults should have a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children of the New Forest is a classic!, 30 May 2013
I read The Children of the New Forest when I was at school and wanted to find and read it again.I did enjoy it all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading for young adults, 11 Feb 2011
I read this book because I stayed at the Chewton Glen in Hampshire. It's located on the edge of the New Forest. All the rooms were named after the characters in the book. I wanted to find out more about them, the history and the area.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was an exciting story, and it made you want to read on., 16 Feb 2000
By A Customer
This was a good book,but it was quite hard to understand in some places.We would not recommend it to under eight year olds.However the book was interesting and gripping throughout, you were always left wondering what was going to happen next.
Our favourite character was Jacob Armitage because he was so friendly and caring to the children by taking them in and looking after them. What happened to him was very sad. Our worst character was Abel Corbould because he was mean and selfish. He also tried to kill Edward who was the hero in the story.
We thought the children in the story were well behaved and did their duty for Jacob Armitage, such as, cooking the dinner, collecting eggs, cutting wood and they go hunting for food.
Overall, we thought the book was an interesting and intriging read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 Aug 2013
If you.live in Dibden Purlieu you will rack your brains to remember all the roads mentioned. I live in Corbould Rd and my children loved the book.

The Children of the New Forest (Wordsworth Children's Classics)
The Children of the New Forest (Wordsworth Children's Classics) by Captain Marryat (Paperback - 1 May 1993)
1.89