5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, sweet story
Published on 11 July 2008 by V. Carlin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!
Published 10 months ago by sar1386

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written, sweet story, 11 July 2008
V. Carlin (London, England) - See all my reviews
The brilliance of the Railway Children is that E Nesbit refuses to talk down to her readers - she handles a variety of complicated emotions, and she does so in a way that enables us to see things we wouldn't have worked out for ourselves about the character, but that are very true and beautifully observed. Okay, a few too many things happen to these kids - even the film removed one or two sensational twists too many - but those things all bring new insights and emotional rewards. It's a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 5 Jan 2010
N. Reed "bookloving kid" (cambridge,uk) - See all my reviews
these are a great series of stories with lively illustrations and excellent quality books to stand up to even robust useage. This is well written and holds on to the original story well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start to introduce modern children to timeless classics, 13 Nov 2011
H. Tagg (London) - See all my reviews
Excellent story, which my daughter has been listening to for several years. This CD replaced the tape we had. She is nearly 13 and still listens to this story most nights. Having listened to it she then chose to read the book. It also opened her to a whole world of timeless classics, such as The Secret Garden, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and the Famous Five. It's been great for her education too. Her English teacher commented on her use of vocabulary.

5.0 out of 5 stars For car journeys, 11 Jan 2011
One of the better read and produced childrens' audio books. The story is still relevant today, and the kids asked to listen to it 10 times

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the hardback investment, 13 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Railway Children (Hardcover)
Before J.K.Rowling and Roald Dahl, there was E.E.Nesbit; the most prolific and inventive children's author of all time, even if the inventor of Harry Potter may be close to usurping that title. Even though her books were written a century ago, such was the universal appeal of her themes and the ease with which children could identify with her characters that she has remained in print to this day and the stories are just as good now as they were then.
As with any children's classic - and “The Railway Children” is both a classic and most probably her best book - its appeal lies in a cracking plot, good character development and adult accessibility; parents are as keen to read as their children are to listen. The plot is simple: well-to-do-kids living ideal life in London suddenly have to “play at being poor” in the country after Daddy mysteriously disappears. After a series of adventures, all based around the railway that runs near their house, events coalesce into a satisfying finale.
The story centres on Roberta (Bobbie), the eldest daughter through whose eyes the story is narrated. She is one of my own favourite literature heroines and, as she suffers loss and hardship and gains friendship and love, I would challenge even the most hard-boiled cynic not to shed the odd tear. The story is not, however, nearly as fluffy as all this may intimate. Like Rowling, Nesbitt loved to include magic and enchantment in her stories (it is, perhaps, ironic that her best tale contains none although it is certainly enchantING). Like Rowling, her stories also tend to have a dark side: many contain, and even hinge around, an absent, idealised father, reflecting the loss of the writer's own parent when she was just six. This tale is no exception.
Amazon is selling the paperback version at a ridiculously knock down rate (although I would still recommend investing in hardback ¬- I've worn my way through two copies already!). Buy dozens! Spread them around your own children, their friends, nephews, nieces, grandchildren, neighbours … any child who can manage joined-up writing will be enchanted by this story - and so will their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better childrens' audio cd's, 24 Nov 2011
Bought this last year and my children ask for it everytime we go on a long journey. They love it!! They gaze out the window whilst listening. Better than them watching the dvd player! Also played a lot in the kitchen whilst they colour/I clear up. A brilliant buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Railway Children (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Reading The railway children was something I've been wanting to do for a while as my auntie always talks so well of the film. I have never watched the film and I wanted to read the book before I did. This book was interesting as it was done from the point of view of the three siblings, which not many classic books are told from the aspect of a child or children. I didn't find the overall story Particularly interesting, but the one thing that kept me going back to finish the book was the big question Why and Where was their Father taken?. There is many adventures in the story that the children get up to involving the railway track and station as well as other areas, and it's great to see how imagination really was a work of art before technology came into place that children use so much nowadays.
The story also goes on to show how big life changes affect children and how well children adapt to things, such as moving home and settling into new surroundings and integrating with their new community. Which many adults find especially hard to do.
The characters experience great growth during the story as they go through different challenges and assist with crisis and injury as well as building new friendships and creating fond memories.
Overall I would say it was a different book to I'm used to reading but that's why I chose to push myself to read it. I would recommend to those who enjoy these sorts of books but personally it wasn't my type of read.
I hope this review helps you, please rate it, it really means a lot. Thanks for reading:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Railway Children, 2 Jan 2011
Excellent for its intended market and purpose. Bought for six year old young reader. Lots of illustrations. Plot simply but accurately related.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic Story, 25 Mar 2013
Trilliane (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Purchased for my 4yr old son.

Since he loves books and stories in general, audio books have become a big part of our weekly lives with our daily commutes interupting book time, he loves the audio ones though, the dramatisations even more.

The Railway Children is what I consider to be a classic childrens story and this version with its cast of voice actors has really brought the story to life, taking you back to a time when life was simpler but by no means easier as the family relocate and change their way of life and the adventures they have along the way.

This is a story I do think all children should hear but with affirming corrections that it is dangerous to go on the tracks (something that is never mentioned at any point in the story).

5.0 out of 5 stars cj, 25 July 2012
This is a brilliant traditional book - just what I wanted for a reluctant reader who had been inspired by seeing the film

The Railway Children (Wordsworth's Children's Classics)
The Railway Children (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) by E. Nesbit (Paperback - 1 Mar 1993)
1.89