5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should read this
Oh yes, you may laugh at the title of this review, or snigger or deride
Published on 21 July 2010 by kettlecharlie

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book but this edition not recommended fr children
I have read this excellent book every spring for 63 years since I was given it at age 11 and wanted another copy.

However this is a cheap edition and you get what you pay for - it is acceptable for adults but the print is not attractive and not inviting for a child to read.
Published 14 months ago by V. Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars everyone should read this, 21 July 2010
kettlecharlie "john" (fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Secret Garden (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) (Paperback)
Oh yes, you may laugh at the title of this review, or snigger or deride
but The Secret Garden is an amazing book. It is a model of construction and language, character (both of children and adults), behaviour, suspense and humour. Of course, it is about a time which, although just 100 years ago, is as far from us today as the Grecian Wars. But the author gives us a picture of a time without computers and mobile phones when a garden was a place to be simply enjoyed not forgotten in a rush for something ever more popular and a time when being active was a way of life. As you may gather I enjoy this book every time I read it and although it was meant for children of that time, it reverberates for modern day adults too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite book as a child, 8 May 2009
This was my favourite book as a child, and I stil love to re-read it. The book is just magical, and left me wishing I had a big old manor in the moors to explore (despite the rainy brownie trips to the moors!) If you have children this is a must, but even for adults -give it read and be a kid for a while :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous children's story., 5 July 2007
M. G. Gilbert (Worcester, GB) - See all my reviews
We bought this lovely story for my daughter, after being fed up with the constant diet of Captain Underpants et al, that she always seemed to bring home from school. The idea was that I would read some classic literature to her each day before she went to bed. The first chapters brought forth constant grumbles and complaints (they are rather boring), but once the story got going, my daughter and I were hooked. She absolutely loved it and listened in rapt attention to every word. I don't know why the story is so magical, but somehow, it certainly is.

Unusually, the central character changes from one character to another, quite an interesting concept that actually works seamlessly, without the reader actually realising that the focus has changed.

As the garden works it's charm on the children, they slowly change from their normal selfish demeanor to care for one another and share in each other's joy.

A really lovely story. After we had finished, my daughter wanted more of the same. Captain Underpants was thankfully, relegated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Mary Quite Contrary......, 4 Nov 2007
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
So this is where the nursery rhyme came from! Thus starts this well known and beloved tale as young Mary Lennox, raised in India by indifferent parents, is a most spoiled and disagreeable child. After she is orphaned she is sent to live with her recluse uncle Archibald Craven in a large mysterious mansion set amidst the dark moors of England. This story is too well known and beloved by all to rehash the plot all over again. Suffice it to say that this was a lovely tale of two bitter and unhappy young children who were able to find the "secret gardens" within themselves and used that magic to heal their tortured souls, and become healthy, happy children.

I very much enjoyed the author's characterizations of the children, along with the glorious descriptions of the gardens and the animals. All in all a lovely tale, both for the very young and the still young at heart. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids loved this book, 18 Oct 2010
I loved this book as a child and it doesn't seem to have lost it's charm. My son (7) and daughter (10) have loved it too.

I would say this book is suitable for a stronger 7 year old reader.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book but this edition not recommended fr children, 1 July 2013
V. Jones - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 24 Aug 2012
The reviews for the book the secret garden Wordsworth classics are totally misleading and must be for another edition of this book. I was so disappointed when I opend the book -having bought it as a present to find no beautiful illustrations AT ALL as described in other reviews, just a very ordinary book with a bright cover.

4.0 out of 5 stars feel good children story, 27 April 2014
i have already read Little Princess, but I enjoyed this one better. More storyline and adventure, although there is not much tension and I miss the " bad guy" in her stories
nice feel good story

3.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected cover, 1 Mar 2014
As a beloved children's classic I thought I'd add it to my collection of children's books (I'm a student teacher). The book is fine and arrived very quickly but the cover is completely different to the one in the picture which I was a bit disappointed by as I found the one pictured a lot prettier and more child-friendly than the one which arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-read for everyone, 21 Nov 2013
One of my favorite books, bought for my fiance for Christmas because he's yet to read it. Bought this edition because the other was sold out but I actually like it since it's a real children's book - for both children and adults. Definitely a must-read for everyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Secret Garden (Wordsworth's Children's Classics)
The Secret Garden (Wordsworth's Children's Classics) by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Paperback - 1 Feb 1993)
1.89