Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2013
With a timeless classic like this, there is no doubt that the storyline will be great, but with it being a foreign classic, translations are always an issue. Sometimes they don't read well, sometimes they stray too far from the point that the author was trying to convey. This Wordsworth edition has it spot on!
A definite must-read!
on 23 December 1999
An unusual book that reflects Dumas's views of both honour and chivalry as well as his interest in esoteric societies. Woven into the adventure romp are countless referernces to the philosophical dilemas that confront man's existence and most of all regarding his relationship with fellow man. It is hard not to identify with the politically incorrect charcters of the four heroes and even the villains lack any real malice.
By far and away the best aspect (for me) is the astoundingly uplifting quality of the narrative. Comparable to three pints of Youngs on an empty stomach after half a chapter you will feel that all is right with the world and after the battle scenes you may feel it necessary to re-enact the sword play with an old golf club.
Far outshines the authors other work and will provide you with many hours priceless entertainment.
on 2 June 2003
My first introduction to 'the three musketeers' was during my childhood when I used to avidly watch 'dogtanian and the three muskehounds' - you may well laugh, but years later my fond memories of this cartoon impelled me to read the book. Yes the book is much better than any cartoon or film version, but when you read it you realise why. Basically, the characters are initially introduced in a rather sketchy manner - you only 'get to know' the characters as you read through the book. It is therefore understandable that this is difficult to portray in a film - hence reading the book is a must, it is a classic.
THere is a reason that classics are regarded as classics: they are timeless and very fun to read, often more fun than you would imagine. THis is a long book, 900 pages in the French version, but I sliced through so fast that I was sorry when it ended.

The plot outline is simple. The four musketeers - for there really are four - want to help the queen in her love for Lord Buckingham of England. All the rest is intrigue and adventure related to that. But the episodes are so funny, the chemistry between the characters so subtle and realistic, that it makes for a truly great read. Indeed, the characters of the musketeers are so well drawn, their inter-relations so complex, that a film or even a miniseries simply cannot do it justice. The glimpses at historical personnages is also fascinating, from Richelieu to Louis XIII. Finally, you get a flavor for the Paris of that epoch, just after the religious wars.

Highly recommended.
on 29 June 2009
I'd always wanted to read this book, having seen numerous films. However, all of those paled compared to this wonderful historical novel. I'm not one for lengthy descriptions normally, but the narratvie had the perfect mix of description and dialogue. I read it over three weeks, (when I should have been revising for my incredibly important, life changing exams oops) and felt that the chararcters were all well crafted and didn't always seem to fit the allegorical roles, with even the antagonists having their moments and the protagonists having their failings.
Overall, this is truly an epic and I enjoyed the history, and although not always accurate I felt it was still plausible enough to class as historical fiction.
on 27 March 2014
This book I read many years ago and to read it again was a pleasure. For those looking for something similar to the BBC TV series the book is deeper and although some of the ideas are (at a very high level) similar the program can not live up to the book.

A very good read
on 19 February 2016
I first read this when a teen and found it over long and quite tedious and wordy in places. Having decided to reread it in middle age I found my younger verdict still stood. If you've watched the marvellously entertaining Oliver Reed films, you might expect fast moving action, social comment, romance, jokes and adventure. Well, this isn't it. It is very long - standard, I suppose for novels of the time - and uses several words where one would be better, has whole chapters where very little happen and the plot crawls along. Now I don't think I am an intellectual lightweight as I have a doctorate in history and have had quite a few books published, but I found this book very dull in places and far too long. It is a tough read and not particularly rewarding.
on 27 July 2015
Widely imitated, but never bettered. Upon closer inspection, The Three Musketeers should not stand up to any critical scrutiny. Pulpish (before the term was invented) overly sentimental, and probably not even written by Dumas ( he was notorious for employing others to write his books, after he had outlined the story) and yet...

The Three Musketeers is one of my favourite books and will stand the test of time, long after I've shuffled off this mortal coil.

Packed with swashbuckling adventure, free of airs and graces, and an ensemble of memorable characters, coupled with an unshakeable romanticism, this is as good as it gets for historical fiction and adventure books in general
on 6 April 2014
An interesting translation. No matter; it brings the world of the seventeenth century France that Dumas re-created for us, to life.
on 9 November 2011
It is said that Dumas writes like he is being paid by the word, and whilst that may be true, even at 600+ pages, the Three Musketeers holds the readers' attention well. There are a few lulls such as Aramis' religious details which included rather more Latin than modern readers would enjoy, and perhaps Lady de Winter's wicked machinations ramble on rather too long towards the end, but the plot complexity and the regular bouts of action keep the whole tale very enjoyable.