Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 November 2011
Wordsworth Classics do not try to be anything they are not, a feature I have liked about them for years. They contain the text in a basic paperback format and are produced at a very cheap price. For students at Key Stage Three or GCSE, these are excellent texts, allowing them to annotate, underline and highlight in the knowledge that "they are expendable". For play production, they are ideal. Concentrating students on the text is an excellent idea which forces them to think and consider the language and that is the Shakespeare.

There is an edition of this accompanied by a CD and it is the best reasonably-priced study CD I have encountered and much better than many higher priced competitors; not only is the content excellent but the software and programming is solid too, an essential feature of any study CD.

Recommended.
on 9 April 2015
A good cheap, full, copy of the whole text.

Useful for anybody studying the text for exams (as am I) or if you enjoy reading Shakespeare.

A clear layout and an interesting forward and introduction.

As is customary for Shakespeare texts there is a comprehensive glossary of Shakespearean language at the back of the book. Very useful if you, like me, are not an expert in Tudor language! (Even words you recognise often have a completely different meaning!)

Good book - there are no negative points to it I can think of.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 June 2016
I was requested by my daughters school to purchase this particular book.

It is part of her english exam along with many other books/plays and I hope that it helps.
I will update my review again when she has been using it for a long enough period to give her impression on its usefulness to her as from a student perspective.

I opened it up and closed it again - it looked heavy going to me and as I really didn't enjoy studying it myself at school I couldn't bring myself to spend longer looking at it.
I have promised myself that I will revisit Macbeth in my adult years when it isn't being constantly interrupted by bells going or the clatter and chat of fellow pupils around me but as yet I haven't made the leap.

I will now my daughter is studying it and I can only hope she gets more from it than I did.
on 15 February 2012
As a 50 something re-visiting my GCSE English, the layout and notes in this book have been very helpful and helped me to interpret this play properly.
on 16 February 2016
Excellent value. I used this version to help a teenager to gain a better understanding of the play for a school assignment. The introduction was particularly helpful in setting the context of why Shakespeare wrote the play and to clarify some of the characterisation.
on 19 October 2015
I don't think I need to review the actual play, as greater wordsmiths than me have done so many times over the the past 4 hundred years, so instead I comment purely on this version. Purchased for my daughter for her year 10 GCSE studies - great edition of a one of Shakespear's most bloodiest plays - cheap enough for her to be able to scribble notes in the margins without me fretting over the cost, unlike so many other text books we have purchased.
Clear translations to help with some of the archaic words and phrases - perfect for all GCSE/ A level students
on 25 July 2015
Really enjoyed this. Shakespeare needs some explanations and this contains the translations of the strange words and phrases that makes it understandable. The introduction sets the scene and context. Good price.
on 9 July 2013
This is really helpful I used it in preparation for my A2 English lit exam and found it really helpful, would seriously recommend
on 14 November 2013
I do not quite understand the disappointment of other readers. Most of us know what to expect when we pick up a Shakespearian play. It is not always easy to read and understand, but well worth the effort. If anyone is interested, but struggles, I would recommend they watch a film of the play, and then read. Do use the notes if you can get them as it can improve the understanding and appreciation of how Shakespeare uses the language. Good luck!
on 7 August 2015
Ordered this yesterday morning and it arrived today as part of my free delivery.

The play itself isn't something I'll comment on, but the book itself is a good paperback material and regular customers of Wordsworth Classics will appreciate it.

All upsides as I bought a great work for only £1.89 (at the time of purchase).