Format: Paperback|Change

This was Dickens' own personal favourite of all his novels, and here we are presented it with an active table of contents. There is no doubt that this is a great novel and has been admired by Tolstoy and Woolf amongst many authors who have enjoyed it or have been given inspiration due to it. Of all Dickens' novels this is also his most autobiographical.

The story although long is simple in itself, it is the tale of David Copperfield from his birth through to his maturity, what obstacles he faces in life and what friends he makes. With a whole host of great characters there is nothing to dislike with this tale, and in the case of Betsy Trotwood, were inspired by real people. Betsy was based on Mary Strong who lived at Broadstairs and really did chase the boys and their donkeys off her lawn, resulting in legal proceedings being initiated. Other characters and events were based on real happenings.

If you like to read for pleasure and want to immerse yourself in something that is really great then you can't really go wrong with this book.
44 comments| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2004
This book is amazing and touching. Normally I would not attempt to read such a big book but I felt like a challenging read and I can not put it down. It is the story of David's life and I would recommend it to anybody since it is the only novel that has ever brought a tear to my eye. For me, this is not a book that I can read and return to a library, I need a copy of the magic within. The language may be difficult to understand at first but if you are patient, you will get the hang of it and it will be many times more rewarding. When reading a book, I like to read the story and come to the end of the book so that I know how it ends but with David Copperfield, of course I want to come to the end, but I also want to make the book last. I have been reading it for a month now and I still have 1/4 of the book to read. Because it is taking to long, it feels to me as though I am following David slowly through his life and I believe that is how this novel should be read.
on 14 February 2008
This is not just a book, it's more of a whole of life experience. You will have to prepare yourself for the long haul and almost breathe your way through Mr Copperfield's life. But it is worth it because it is quite a life story and you will get to know and like or even dislike quite a few people along the way. I read it because I had enjoyed Oliver Twist and Great Expectations and love to understand and appreciate the simplicities and difficulties of the Victorian way of life and the great characters Dickens always invents.... and to be sure, he didn't let me down with this one either.

It's a long read and not for the faint hearted in any way. Some passages are long and by todays standards very cumbersome and long winded but if you like a good story, great characters and fancy a step out of the digital age for a while then this is for you.
on 10 June 2011
David Copperfield is the classic coming of age story, and supposedly Dickens favourite novel out of all his brilliant work. David as a boy grows up without a father and is raised by his mother and her loyal maid, Clara Peggoty. All is good until David's mother marries the indignant Mr. Murdstone. David is sent off to Boarding school, run by a cruel schoolmaster Mr. Creakle. David's mother dies and at the age of 10, the boy is sent to work in London. He runs away to search for his aunt, Betsy Trotwood, who eventually adopts him. The second part of this novel shows the grown-up David Copperfiel apprenticed as a clerk to work in a law firm. He meets his boss's daughter Dora and falls in love and we meet the infamous and revolting Lawyer, Uriah Heap. Disaster is around the corner but all will be re-deemed.

Superbly crafted classic that sits invitingly in my Kindle library.

Anon
The Spire Chronicle
on 9 November 2012
I've now read D.C. three times and it gets better every time. It was apparently his own favourite book and certainly seems to draw heavily on his own past at times. But ... there's always a point, just after the first half of the book, when it loses its initial momentum and brilliance - basically as David starts to grow up and become an adult. And at times it lapses into the mushy sentiment and melodrama that is always a bit of a mountain to climb for modern readers. In other words, it's at its best when David is a child, and the vulnerability that Dickens must have experienced so painfully himself, is always present. But there's always such a wonderful parade of characters throughout the book: Betsy Trotwood is one of the best female characters throughout his novels (and one of the few convincing ones to my mind) with her fear of intruding donkeys and blunt ways, and the sympathetically drawn mentally-fragile Mr Dick. The Micawbers, of course, and 'umble' Uriah Heap, who has to be one of the most loathsome villains in the history of fiction, and then there's the terrifying Murdstones, who never get the come-uppance you feel they deserve.
Although the narrator is the adult looking back, one feels that he never loses the boy he describes so well, and that I'm sure is probably true of Dickens, who unlike most adults, retained that inner child to an unusual degree. The caricatures that are such a hallmark of Dickens style, singling out oddities and building on them to create characters, is straight out of a child's mind, and never does he do it better than here.
on 9 June 2001
My curiosity about the works of Charles Dickens drew me to this title. All I can say is that if curiosity killed the cat, than it must have been an extremely pleasant way to go! Dickens is a wordsmith of unquestionable mastery and I was astounded by his ability to draw the reader completely into the lives of his characters - to such an extent that we feel each set back and each triumph as keenly as they do. This is also a novel packed with emotion - anyone who can get through it without both laughing and crying must have a heart of stone. David Copperfield is an engrossing book that is rightly viewed as a literary classic - one that everybody should read.
on 7 May 2009
Despite a host of different characters, the reader manages to keep it all brilliantly clear, funny, tender and moving. Abridged to cut some of the description but little of the action.
on 20 May 2003
For me, this may just pip "Great Expectations" as my vote for the BBC's Big Read thing.
Written in the first person, like "Great Expectations", the early part of the book is regarded as highly autobiographical. The range of styles, and the sweep of the plot, though, dazzles throughout.
True, the Little Emily stuff may be too melodramatic for today, but the characters here are Dickens at his very best. The odious Heep, the oh-so-brilliant Steerforth and the fumbling Mr Micawber.
On one level, yes they are caricatures, but I have met people just like Mr Heep, and not too far from Steerforth.
And when my boss denied me a raise in my salary the other day, claiming that were it down to her, she would certainly be looking to do it, but that her hands were tied by the senior management, I cast my mind straight back to David Copperfield trying to get a raise out of Spenlow and Jorkins. Timeless.
For a Dickens, it's a middling size of book, so it'll take time, but it won't wipe out a month, like "Little Dorrit", say.
Read this. Comic and tragic at turns, it is staggeringly brilliant writing.
on 13 June 2016
This is the complete text of the Dickens novel. The characters are well known and much loved. As in many of Dickens novels there is an episodic feel reflecting it's initial launch as a weekly supplement. It is also criticised for plot irregularities, anti Semitism and treatment of the female characters. Irrespective of these issues this is a well written tale, a moral tale, and a good read. Enjoy.
on 20 July 2016
Fantastic read. This was my re-read after I had read it almost 20 years back when I was a kid and the nostalgia that I felt was simply amazing.
This is one of those books which is really close to my heart. A classic and a masterpiece and has simplicity and innocence smeared all over it .
A real gold.