5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic
This is great!
Published on 8 Jan 2010 by C. Crossman

1.0 out of 5 stars A classic deserves better treatment.
There are serious formatting problems with this edition. Words have been run together and, although you can make out what they are, it ruins the reading experience. It might not have been too bad if it was just the occasional word, but it's several a paragraph, or even a sentence. It makes the book unreadable.
I'm afraid it's another example, all too common on...
Published on 12 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 Jan 2010
C. Crossman (UK) - See all my reviews
This is great!
Our 5 year loves it. It is beautifully written, almost poetic in places. Alan Bennett reads it beautifully too. The stories may be old fashioned compared to modern offerings but our boy sits silently in the car listening intently - this is a godsend on longer car journeys. It is so well written that it is a pleasure for us to listen to also. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still makes me laugh and cry, 26 April 2009
You are never to old to enjoy the Wind in the Willows.
I read this to a very young friend only recently. I'm not sure which of the two of us enjoyed the story more.
I had forgotten what a wonderful, magical world Ratty, Toad & Mole live in.
We both had a lovely time sharing their adventures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind in the Willows (BBC Audio, 16 July 2009
This has to be the great timeless classic story, beautifully performed with all the style we have growm to expect from the BBC. My children loved this and now my grandchildren have nearley worn out the cd. Great for those long holiday trips the whole family will enjoy it.
I give it 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondrous Willows, 12 July 2008
Ms. Kim J. Forster (England) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting for this version to come out on CD for a long time. My tapes, both sets, have worn out! I will never tire of listening to this, despite the fact that I scorn most children's literature nowadays! David Jason's Toad is a complete joy, conniving, self-pitying but loveable all the same, just like Toad should be. This version is atmospheric, funny, beautifully acted and 'comfort' listening of the first order. Forget the modern world and all its PC ways. Sit back and listen and pretend everything's alright - just for awhile...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Delight For Children Of All Ages! Superbly Written!, 11 Jun 2005
I was seriously deprived as a child and never read the "Wind in the Willow," nor did I have it read to me. Given that my Mom is an avid reader and encouraged me to be one also, I don't know why this classic was omitted from my early reading repertoire. When I met my husband, he discovered I had never read Kenneth Grahame's book, and told me it was/is one of his favorites. So, the first gift I ever received from him was a copy of "Wind in the Willows," inscribed "A kid's book for a special lady, who is a child at heart." Now the marvelous adventures of the Mole, Rat, Toad and Badger still delight, as they did that first time many years ago, when I was 19 years-old. If you are older than eight, the reading level says 4-8, and are not familiar with this tale, by all means get yourself a copy and enter the magical world created by Mr. Grahame, who wrote this as a series of bedtime stories for his son in 1908. As far as literature goes, the writing is quite lyrical, really beautiful and inventive, and so intelligent. A samples below, describes the scenery of new surroundings:
"He thought his happiness complete when, as he meandered aimlessly along, suddenly he stood by the edge of a full-fed river. Never in his life had he seen such a river before - this sleek, sinuous, full-bodied animal, chasing and chuckling, gripping things with a gurgle and leaving them with a laugh, to fling itself on fresh playmates who shook themselves free, and were caught and held again. All was a-shake and a-shiver, glints and gleams and sparkles, rustle and swirl, chatter and bubble. The Mole was bewitched, entranced, fascinated."
Grahame writes this exuberant, humorous fantasy, about the adventures of four close friends, all animals, who live in the English countryside, the Wild Wood, to be exact. He tells the tale from the animals' points of view, emphasizing the etiquette and sensibilities of woodland creatures, and those who make their homes and livings underground and on river banks. Throughout his narrative he explains how animal society works, and how non-human creatures perceive the world around them.
Toad, of glorious Toad Hall, is a spoiled, rich, rather eccentric creature, who is accustomed to doing exactly as he wishes. Reckless, he perpetually gets himself and his friends into trouble. They count on it, in fact. Ever a free spirit, with the money to indulge his whims, Toad discovers a new passion - motor cars. Of course he involves diligent, kind-hearted Mole, very clever Water Rat, and wise, reclusive Badger in his madness, and invariably they extricate themselves from the consequences, rescuing their friend Toad as well.
President Theodore Roosevelt and his family greatly enjoyed "Wind in the Willows." He wrote to the author praising the book. And A.A. Milne made a very popular play out of it called "Toad of Toad Hall."
Ernest H. Shepard's original ink drawings are wonderful.
JANA

4.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for Mr. Toad!, 29 Sep 2003
By A Customer
The thought of reading this classic had always been nagging at the back of my mind...I remember watching the animated adaptation that someone (the BBC?) made using stop-motion characters a while back. I seem to remember David Jason voiced Mr. Toad.
I took this tale away with me on holiday to Spain, and it's the only piece of prose that has ever made me yearn to be back in England. For sheer descriptive power - capturing the very essence of a smell, sound or sensation - Kenneth Grahame is unrivalled. Couple this with a terse, funny and perfectly conceived plot...and you have what is rightly deemed a true English classic for old and young alike. (With great illustrations, too!)
In my opinion, Grahame's finest achievement lies in the rendering of the rakish Mr. Toad - not merely in his conceited, spoilt and 'gentlemanly' persona, but also his fabulously rural adventures: or should I say misdemeanours. Crashing motor cars; escaping prison; hijacking trains...all told with such good-natured humour that you can't help but be carried back to the Merry England of old.
When I discovered when this story first came to print - 1908 - I was both surprised and unsurprised. The ideals invlolved are very much of their time, as are the attitudes of the various characters. But at the same time some of the language used and the prose style in general could easily be taken for contemporary.
Lie back in some tall, swaying grass with some cheese and port and savour this heart-warming little book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem, 16 Sep 2010
Ms. C. R. Stillman-lowe "Cathy SL" (Reading Berks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Could there ever be a better version of this book? I can't imagine one. It's beautifully read, heart-warming and comforting to listen to at bedtime, for adults and children alike. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality edition of a much loved classic!, 30 April 2009
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wind in the Willows (Hardcover)
The Wind in the Willows is a much-loved children's classic: it revolves around the adventure of four key animal characters. The story is magical but this is a review primarily of the edition and not the story itself.

There are 224 pages in this edition (not 192 as Amazon states). It's a well-presented hardback book beautifully illustrated. The original story was illustrated by E.H.Shepard and although Robert Ingpen's illustrations here are quite different in style (gloomier and more atmospheric), they do justice to the story and have a similar kind of charm about them.

All in all, this has to be one of my favourite editions of the book - it looks great as a gift to any child (or adult for that matter!) The pages are really thick and the whole book is well-presented - you just know you're in for a treat when you open the book. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Nov 2010
H. CASARES-BELCHER "HollyC" (London) - See all my reviews
I loved reading this book as an adult! I remember the television series that I used to watch as a child growing up in the 80's and it brought it all back! The book is wonderfully written and would strongly recommend this to parents reading it to their children or to adults that wish to be transported back to their childhood!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still One of the Best Children's Books, 25 Mar 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I purchased this book to read to my young grandson (4 years old). The book brought back many wonderful memories of my childhood and the magical world the story gives to a young child hearing it for the first time.

Until I started to read to my grandson I had forgotten what a wonderful story it is, far surpassing most of the modern tales for children. It still feels as fresh as the day it was written and is not dated at all.

For some reason, I don't know why children seem to be able to relate to stories about animals rather than about human beings, this is reflected in the number of programmes on children's television about animals.

Whether it be paper back or hard back with illustrations get the children in your family a copy of Wind in the Willows, I guarantee they will love it.

The Wind in the Willows (Wordsworth Classics)
The Wind in the Willows (Wordsworth Classics) by Kenneth Grahame (Paperback - 5 Mar 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01