5.0 out of 5 stars The Great American ...Whale (novel).
Published 8 months ago by Mr. G. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Too nautical for me
Published on 19 Aug. 2007 by John Ferngrove

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great American ...Whale (novel)., 3 Sept. 2014
Mr. G. Morgan "wes" (Haywards Heath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
4 stars? Nooo, a bit mean. 1? Embarrassing. 5, Certainly. This book lays claim to be that mythical beast, The Great American Novel and its scope is vast and I am not sure if Melville's reach has exceeded his grasp... but then in a way that is what the book is about: ambition. Yes, the first chapter is deliberately (?) boring as Melville imparts as much data on whales as he can. This is your 'ticket of entry.' Now one of the great first lines in all literature "Call me Ishmael" more beguiling than anything the Ancient Mariner ever managed, as well as one of the greatest final lines. Between this and Moby Dick himself you have the figure of Father Mapplethorpe delivering his Cetacean-oriented sermon in an appropriately whale 'themed' church in Nantucket, preparing the mariners for what all know is a dangerous mission; of Queequeg, a Native American actually seen as a human being; the archetypal Capt Ahab, in search of the ideal...which is A whale? God? Truth? Perfection? Desire? All of the above? Yup? Or maybe 'just' mad? It's a magnificently written book too, for all its superabundance, its longueurs and its helpless, inevitable prolixity; this man wants to cover everything, he is HUGELY ambitious - and it is a Whale Tale! The characters and richness of language may justifiably be called Shakespearian, he is chancing more than an arm on this one (and like Ahab, lost; well for 70 odd years he 'lost'). You feel here something of Melville's metaphysical Doubt as he closes on truth, feels it as just receding from us like the world from Tantalus. Forget the nay-sayers; this is a masterpiece, and no-one else has ever written a novel like this, not even Melville, Go on, try it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too nautical for me, 19 Aug. 2007
John Ferngrove (Hants UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
The prose is so vivid that the only comparison that comes to mind is Shakespeare. Some sentences or paragraphs are so finely wrought as to hit you between the eyes, and as such I can say that I am glad I have read it, and if life were longer I might even read it again. However, I have to concede that the book is very hard work. What story there is all takes place in the last 25 pages and is an action tour-de-force, but the previous 400 or so pages are lengthy and wordy digressions on whales, whaling and all conceivable ancillary topics, which at their worst are maddeningly garrulous. The characterisation is poor, unsurprisingly given that so little of the text is devoted to the players. Ishmael, the narrator is virtually a disembodied observer who brings little of himself to the action. Ahab is the tortured megalomaniac for whom we are given no opportunity for sympathy or empathy. All the other human characters, namely the ship's crew, are mere automata. Those of a nautical bent might get excited about the details of the ship, the Pequod, which is more lovingly written than the humans or the whales, but I'm not that way inclined.

I can see this book being truly relished by hardcore literature buffs with a love of ships and the sea, but I can't help but feel that just about anyone else would find it very heavy going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the inexperienced reader, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
A mighty tome for sure. I have read the first chapter over and over and still find it hard to get into. I go with the experts who say it is one of the great American novels but to my shame, I must admit that I am struggling. I am going to give it to my partner as she is an avid reader and should make shorter work of it than me. Having said all this, I will give it another go after her and at the very low price, there is no harm done. Probably a good buy as a present for someone.

3.0 out of 5 stars A simple non-literary review of Moby Dick., 17 April 2015
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
Sometimes literary reviews put me off (no offense to other reviewers) so this is simply my review on this book. Moby Dick is a tough read it's true. It starts off fine enough, reading very much like a regular novel, but once aboard the ship certain chapters start veering off-story and end up reading more like an encyclopaedia of whales and whaling. The story itself though is a good one and is actually both funny and gripping. There are some very funny moments, right in the first chapters I found myself laughing at the actions of some characters, and further into the story it is gripping. For those that don't know the basic story of Moby Dick is told from Ishmael's point of view as he joins a crew on the ship to go whaling. Along the way we learn of the captain's obsession to catch the white whale, Moby Dick.

I won't go into too much detail as not to spoil it but this classic is still worth the read if you can last through the more factual chapters. These chapters can be boring to read for those more interested in a good story but you actually do end up learning a lot about the different whales and how the whole whaling worked in the past. However you do at times feel like wondering if the factual bits will ever end. The book can actually be a little squeamish for devout animal lovers as there's quite detailed explanations of removing the blubber from whales but of course this book IS about whaling.

The ending of the story actually kept me engrossed I just had to finish the last chapter. I was surprised how much I wanted to read the end, after a few very long factual chapters the pace of the story really picked up towards the end and I was glad to get through this book, the ending for me does not disappoint.

Because this is a wordsworth classic there are plenty of extras, the best part of this book as that certain words or terms that don't exist or are confusing today are numbered thoughout the book. You can turn to the back of the book where there is an index of these numbers and a brief explanation of the word or term. I found this invaluable in my reading and it really does help in all the classics to have this index.
The wordsworth classic also holds plenty of notes at the front, if you want to take a more literary look at the book (much as you would at school), but don't read this section first as it can give away certain things.

I'd recommend this book to anyone really interested in reading the classics as I am. There is no profanity and no sex, but will tax the less inclined reader. It's not an easy book to get through, and at times you can glaze over all the factual information, but for those that can stick it out please do try. Unfortunately one or two chapters do move the focus from Ismael's point of view to suddenly everyone's...reading more like a script for a film, but if you can deal with this change (it only happens once) then it's still worth reading

I'm rating it a 3 as despite the gripping story, I still find it tough to read through, and I have other books I do prefer, but for the story part I do give it a 5.

This book is funny, gripping and factual all at the same time and you will need to read it again to appreciate it some more. But for anyone interested in the classics I'd certainly recommend this one, just be prepared for the non-fiction parts which do take away some of the excitement.

3.0 out of 5 stars It blows (half of the time at least)!, 3 May 2014
Sam Quixote - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
One of the most famous and celebrated novels ever written, Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick" is a towering novel in world literature whose legendary story of the doomed whaling ship the Pequod setting off with its mad Captain Ahab at the helm to destroy the fabled white whale Moby-Dick, is so well known that most people who've never read the book know what it's about.

I was one of these people and having now read it, I can say that that's a pretty succinct summary of the book. That said, there are lots of moments in the book I wasn't aware of and was surprised to discover in reading it.

First off, I approached this book knowing most of the characters and the general story already so it was great to read the most famous opening lines in literature - "Call me Ishmael" - and to be introduced to the familiar cast of characters I'd never met before. From Ishmael to Queequeg, to Starbuck, the Pequod and Ahab, I found it thrilling to meet them one by one and to find subtleties in their characters that you won't know unless you read the book.

But I was surprised at how gay (as in homosexual) the novel is. The first 100 pages takes place in Nantucket where Ishmael hasn't signed up to the Pequod yet and is waiting around for a commission. He takes a room in an overbooked inn agreeing to share the bed with a "savage" called Queequeg. Not that sharing a bed with a man is gay exactly but Ishmael and Queequeg quickly become fast friends, looking forward to bed time where they touch knees and noses and tell each other secrets (really). Ishmael even says on more than one occasion that he feels "married" to Queequeg and comforted by waking up with his arms around him. Plus the book's title has "dick" in it, Queequeg's head is tattooed purple, and it's about a group of seamen lustily chasing a white sperm whale...

Anyway, hilarity aside, I found myself enjoying this strange book - while they were in port at least. Even when Ishmael and Queequeg sign up to the Pequod but then they ship out and the book comes to a grinding halt. The edition I read was 625 pages long and the Pequod sets sail somewhere around page 200; for the next 300, maybe more, pages Ishmael (or more accurately Melville) decides to tell the reader everything there is to know about whaling, no matter how obscure or dull or esoteric.

He tells you about the different types of whales and the differences between the whales, from the diameters of their fins, to the way they're cut up once killed, and so on. Then he talks about the instruments used in hunting whales - I can't even begin to describe what these are but my goodness, take my word when I say he is very thorough in describing them. How they were made, what they're made of, what their purpose is, how to clean them, how to store them - this is all explored at length! Did someone say famous whaling cases? He's got these as well. He mentions how big an industry whaling is (and it was in the 1850s, the fifth largest industry in America though once petroleum was discovered to have many more uses, whale oil faded out and by the beginning of the 20th century the whaling boom was finished for good) and the many uses whale oil has.

I've barely scratched the surface of the kind of tedious details any fiction reader doesn't give a damn about but be warned all ye who enter here: there are many hundreds of pages of utterly unnecessary, pointless and skull-crushingly boring details wedged in preventing the reader from enjoying the real story.

The real story being why the book has endured so long, and it really is quite good. From the time they leave port, if Melville had gone straight from that to an incident or two of killing whales, skipping about 300 pages of rubbish, and then onto the final confrontation between the Pequod and Moby-Dick, I'd be singing this book's praises and giving it five stars. As such, don't believe anyone who tells you this is an un-putdownable adventure read. They're lying to you. Nobody who has read the unabridged version would in their right mind think that reading about the role of buckets in the ship's hold or a 5 page description of a whale's blow hole is in any way interesting, not even remotely. Shenanigans, I say!

Having said that, I'm glad I read it. There were moments I genuinely enjoyed reading it from the way Melville describes the whaling town of Nantucket, to the complex and fascinating relationship between Ahab and Starbuck, to the final words of Ahab as he faces his doom in the face of the white whale ("from hell's heart I stab at thee!"). That said, I don't think I would ever read this again, or at least if I did I would skip most of the passages I know are about things unrelated to the story of these characters and of no interest whatsoever.

If you're a student of literature like me, willing to face down the leviathan that is this book, you're going to read this anyway, there's no way a book of this magnitude will get past you without the urge to find out for yourself what it's like and making up your own mind. But for the casual reader, out for a good read, some fun? Stay well away from this book. It will cause frustration and more skim-reading than you'll ever do for any other book.

If only Melville had an editor...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Novel Ever Written, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
If you like books that make you think laugh ponder your existence and religion then this is an essential that demands your attention it's very obscure and you will need to retread several parts of it to understand it but overall moby dick is a book you should read before you die

5.0 out of 5 stars OBSESSION, 19 Jan. 2013
N. Demir Kupeli (Ankara, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
A nonsense obsession brought his end! A typical catatonic thought still exists now today. As far I know no one knows what happend to Moby. I believe this novel was written by inspired from Freudian (the second) ...

5.0 out of 5 stars You might need to read this one at least twice, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
Moby Dick is one of the pinnacles of English literature. Which is to say, steep, inhospitable and littered with pitfalls for the unwary reader.

The actual plot of the novel, Captain Ahab's obsession with hunting down the eponymous white whale, occupies only a fraction of the novel's length. The rest of the book is dedicated to diversions and digressions on every aspect of whales and whaling life. It's a dense, complicated book, employing a variety of styles from Old Testament damnation to sailor's yarn to scientific journal, the narrative taking on the obsessive mania of Ahab in its need to give the very last word on whaling.

It's tough going and a lot to take in, you will glaze over in places, but if you can last the course then you should find a tour de force in storytelling. It's not a book to read idly on holiday. It is a fine instructional manual for the budding writer. Melville shows great mastery of a number of styles and there's a lot to be learned on how a writer can bend the medium to tell his story rather than wedging the story into the confines of the medium. Indeed, many of the techniques Melville pioneered in Moby Dick weren't rediscovered until the great modernist writers of the early twentieth century.

It truly is one of the most remarkable performances that English literature has yet produced. Not one for the casual reader, but worthy of an obsession. Ahab would understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
I liked it, although as books go, it wasn't popular enough for me. Really enjoyed the relationship between Quiqweg and Ishmael; and enjoyed some of the details of the ship and Nantucket. It's probably been a bit spoiled as everyone knows what it is about and it has lost its air of mystery, which is for me, one of the main highlights of reading. Context aside my main problem is that Moby Dick doesn't really know if it's a novel or a documentary. There is plenty of action and colour but, as I said at the beginning, not popular enough for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moby, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
This is a classic! I read this in my teen years and I'm glad to do it again. Hope it has the same effect on you too.

Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics)
Moby Dick (Wordsworth Classics) by Herman Melville (Paperback - 5 May 1992)