5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!
Published on 29 Nov 2001 by kerry_k46@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Norton's 'Wuthering Heights'
Published on 7 Jun 2009 by Mr. B. Hammond

3.0 out of 5 stars Norton's 'Wuthering Heights', 7 Jun 2009
Mr. B. Hammond (Hamilton, Scotland) - See all my reviews
As you would expect from any Norton critical edition of a text, this is far more detailed than other editions. The notes at the bottom of the pages are decent - the handy translations of Joseph's dialect are helpful. (It must be said, however, these notes are not as extensive as the Penguin Classics edition.) It contains a selection of Emily Brontė's poetry, a detailed account of the editorial process after the novel's initial publication, and a wide selection of reviews from when the text first appeared.

For a Norton Critical Edition I did feel it was slightly light with regard to more recent criticism. It contains just five recent critical essays - one of which is on the problems associated with depicting Heathcliff in film versions of the text. Where, for example, is Dorothy Van Ghent's important 'On Wuthering Heights'?

This is probably the best edition any reader of this text could buy. It is not, however, as exhaustive as one might like.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 29 Nov 2001
Right, where do i begin??? how did i ever live without reading this book?? i was told by some idiot that it was boring which put me off for a while, but i read it recently and was totally blown away!! It is honestly the most intense, passionate, maddening book i've ever read. It starts out strong and keeps on going, i actually had to force myself not to read it all in one night and to save some for the next day! Emily Bronte uses such powerful imagery in her prose that it just stuns you. The setting of the story in the Yorkshire moors was absolutely fitting, i doubt that if it had been set anywhere else it couldn't have possibly been half as powerful. The moors add to the air of mystery, gloom, beauty, passion,love, and tragedy. Heathcliff and Cathy are definately the most interesting and intense pair of lovers i have ever read of. Heathcliff especially provokes me, mostly because i cannot decide whether i love or hate him, and that is but one part of the genius of this book. Heathcliff is the hero/anti-hero of the book and just so utterly fascinating a character. The best ingredient of this masterpiece is the fact that the story takes place in such a secluded region, with equally interesting characters, away from the social niceties and civilities that are common in other books of this time. Therefore, the passion and tragedy of the love and hatred in this story is more strongly felt. I could honestly go on forever but i'll spare all you readers out there. All i will say is that you definately must read this book, i know that this is horribly cliche but it truly is one of the best books i have ever read in my life! You will not be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars "She is so immeasurably superior to them all", 6 April 1999
By A Customer
This book haunts me. I have read it countless times. It is ingrained in me now as part of my own personal myth. I carry Heathcliff and Cathy inside like some people carry The Virgin Mary or Allah inside of them. I read it when I was young because I had to for class and hated it, then years later, I was about eighteen and read it again, and this time Cathy and Heathcliff blew through me and knocked me down as surely as if I were a Linton. Years later it still exerts its strange force over me. People are right, it is not a 'nice' book: its emotional terrain is pitted with violence and terror, brutality and abuse. Wuthering Heights isn't about star-crossed love or the endurance of love over death, Emily Bronte was not concerned with such trivialities. It is about what happens to a person who feels intensely, about how a person who endures such intensity of feeling survives. Heathcliff and Cathy respresent two sides of one thing that Bronte was trying to tell us about. She tells us in such a way that we come back to her only novel time and time again to seek the meaning. Not to be confused with 'Jane Eyre'. Jane Eyre is the tale of an insipid who finally gets her man (big deal) despite puritannical hardship, and though its crie de coeur touches the heart, it never sets it alight. If however, you are interested in being burned, and if some teacher isn't force-feeding you this text, Wuthering Heights might just be the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever written, 3 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I read this novel when I was 17 and it was the sole reason for me choosing to study English Literature at Degree Level. Nine years on and having read a library full of books this is still miles ahead of some of the best works of literature ever written as far as I am concerned. It amazes me that people do not like it - how can you not be moved by the passion Cathy and Heathcliff feel for one another? Their story is like no other in literature. Really they had no place in 19th Century Literature and Emily knew this when she wrote her novel. Take them out of Wuthering Heights and you have a genteel story of a girl teaching a boy to read and write so that he is worthy of marrying her. This in itself would have made a good novel but only Emily Bronte was brave enough to make the wild, wicked Cathy and demonic Heathcliff her central characters. Even Charlotte Bronte seemed terrified at the power of the book and thought it her role to defend her sisters writings. To anyone who has never read it - do so!! You will love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Grim Up North, 6 Sep 2007
Rotgut "rotgut" (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A true classic of English Literature that has stood the test of time, with settings and characters that have entered the national consciousness. Its raw power is amazing considering its author's age and apparent lack of experience in life.

Re-reading as an adult, one is perhaps struck by how wordy the later passages in the book are, the self destructive relationship between Cathy and Heathcliff is what stays in the reader's memory most. Unlike, say, Jane Austen's equally timeless works, it is not possible to say "Wuthering Heights" grows with repeat reading. The strange narrative devices are a bit distracting, and some sections sag.

The opening scene, in contrast,where the ghost of Cathy shatters the glass in the window of the narrator's bedroom, letting in the lashing storm, is surely one of the most striking ever written.

Graphic moments such as this opening, and the fierce, uncompromising lovers who leap from the page, make this book's reputation well deserved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without wanting to sound cliched.., 2 Aug 2004
This is one of my favourite novels. I read it for the first time when I was twelve, which doesn't sound like long ago (I'm only seventeen now), but what is important is that it was the first time I sampled a novel of this quality. The first time I had read a novel of love and loss that was dramatic, and realistic and twisted and evil and passionate. Yes, there were a lot of 'and's in that sentence, but that in itself is an expression of how much I love this book.
It's a bit like pulp romance EXCEPT that it has so much more depth and meaning and beauty. And it isn't a big pile of cow poo. I apologise profusely for that. I'm meant to be being all mature and reviewing a few books on Amazon and I accidentally keep comparing them to animal faeces. I think it just shows that I am a passionate reader. So anyway, buy Wuthering Heights, spend the change on a packet of Munchies. It's only £1.50, and it could change your life. You may become an impassioned lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Piece of English Literature, 12 April 2001
By A Customer
Everything about this book makes it makes it truly brilliant. The wild setting of the Yorkshire Moors, the grey and dark ambience of the Heights, the contrast of this at the Grange. Wuthering Heights is full of; love; romance; passion; revenge; and violence; covering ideas about: nature; religion; superstition; death; and the social values of the 19th Century. Criticised when it first came out because the book was written so far ahead of its time, it explores feminist ideas about the inheritance of land and money, and about marriage for social status. Possibly offensive to the original Victorian audience who would have read it, it would appeal to a modern readership subsequently, something of which, due to her premature death, Brontė would never learn of.
Brontė writes about her own experience in this book, with some characters closely relating to her own life. Her sole piece of literature shows her unique outlook on existence, and denying the reader perhaps the resolved ending they would have desired; instead we get the realistic conclusion that everyone can relate to.
Every character in this novel can portray a whole group of people. Heathcliff can represent the 'working class hero come good'. Brontė skilfully manipulates the reader into sympathising with Heathcliff, despite his appalling and violent behaviour later on. Catherine is reckless, passionate and rebellious, but maintains a clear head; she is aware of the importance of keeping a high status in the world. Brontė presents this with her marriage to Edgar Linton, denying her genuine, but concealed, feelings for Heathcliff. Even with Edgar's laissez-faire attitude to Catherine's close friendship to Heathcliff, can create the strong contrast between the two men. The reader can discover the shocking lengths that Heathcliff goes to for revenge against his former anguish, in an almost psychotic way that spans beyond death. His treatment by Catherine's brother Hindley, and his betrayal by Catherine for marrying Edgar causes him to enact a series of events including marriage without love and mistreatment of others in the most terrible way. Interestingly, Brontė allows everything to be observed by the character Nelly in an almost voyeuristic way, despite the fact she is a narrator to the story; it shows the idea of narrators being fair and trusting can occasionally be false. Every character is different, and often unconventional, represented in a certain way for a certain reason. The book successfully takes us over two generations of characters, each with different ideas, personalities and attitudes.
This book can be quite confusing at times by the use of similar names such Catherine's daughter also being named Catherine and Isabella Linton calling her son Linton. Also having to travel through two sets of narration in a non-chronological order. However, Brontė deals with all these factors marvellously and the powerful setting, intriguing characters and wide range of ideas challenged makes this book a political masterpiece of English Literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick in there!, 20 July 2009
Louise Tassiker (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I recently took this book on holiday & found myself struggling to get into the story.

Fortunately i am one of those people who can't start a book without finishing it!

I seemed to be trailing over the first quarter of the book, some of the character quotations are very hard to understand (particularly Joseph) but if you take your time you soon get the hang of it.

The novel is written in a way that the gentleman telling the story is actually repeating the story as it was told to him by the main characters maid/nanny which brings a really interesting angle to the book.

By half way through i was addicted, i couldn't wait to find out what happened to Catherine and Heathcliff. I was lost in the novel and really felt part of it.

This is a good read and i'd highly recommend it but i would suggest having patience to get past the first part it really is worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars wuthering heights, 9 Nov 2003
this is one of those books that has entered the public conciseness, everyone thinks they know the story, it's a lovely victorian girly love story, right? Wrong it is a love story but it is a story of a powerfull destructive kind of love. Heathcliff & Cathy are the most selfish pair of B's in literature, when the book was published it was under a male pen name and when it came out that it was written by a woman people didn't belive it. The way it's written is really inventive also, it is narrated all in the third person by Nelly Dean, a house keeper to the present tenant(read the book), the chronology is also complex the tale is not told sequencially but jumps back and forth, in the same manner as Resevoure Dogs. This is one of my favourite books and I have read it again and again, do yourself a favour.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea., 11 Oct 2009
This review is from: Wuthering Heights (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
Before I proceed to the actual review, I have to underline three significant parameters that have influenced it: one, I am a great fan of realism; two, I am not such a great fan of old English literature, perhaps as a consequence to fact number one; and three, I pay more attention to technique than to language. So, if you disagree with any of the above, this may not be the review for you.

Now, to the point. I could not give the book anything less than three stars, because a) I have read far worse novels and b)I do have a certain respect for anything that is being considered 'a classic' (and classic does not necessarily mean earth-shaking).

As many people have mentioned, Emily Bronte is good with language. If for anything else, you will enjoy her descriptions; they are so vivid, I could actually walk through the moors, in and out the rooms I could go.

But this is as fas as it went for me. I truly felt some of the time dedicated to landscapes should have been instead given to characterisation, especially since this is clearly a character-driven narrative. We know that the story is about Catherine and Heathcliff's tumultuous relationship, yet I never saw the reasons for why it was so. I would have truly appreciated a few scenes of character exposition, long before Catherine ends up wounded in the Linton house. It felt as if the sentiments were there because the author said so, than as a natural development of plot and character interrelations. There are scenes of immense emotional explosions between them two, yet I just can't see the tension being built up, merely indicated. None of my emotions went underneath the surface, I'm afraid.

I also found it very difficult to identify with either of them. It was difficult for me to understand Catherine's exasperation against Heathcliff, since her passion for him is not visible until his return- she does choose to marry someone closer to her social circumstances, without any inner struggles (her confession to Nelly seems more as if she is looking for reassurance in order to overcome her guilt). Heathcliff, on the other hand, initially the wronged hero, is developed to become the dark antagonist seeking his own catharsis, yet he is so persistently inhuman and evil, that not only you can't understand him, but you can't understand Catherine's passion for him either. There was an incident, a word, a gesture missing from the picture; something that have bonded untamed (and selfish) Catherine to dark Heathcliff.

I understand, and frankly appreciate Bronte for her intention to commend on the ethos of the time; however, her characters remained mere strangers to me until the end of the book. I failed to accept their thoughts or experience their feelings, and so the story became something I witnessed from a distance.

I can't say read it or not. It is not the ultimate torture (although this also depends on age, tastes and gender), but it's not the sort of 'Les Miserables' classic either.

I'm glad Bronte wrote it though. After all, it did inspire Kate Bush to offer us a fantastic ballad.

Wuthering Heights (Wordsworth Classics)
Wuthering Heights (Wordsworth Classics) by Emily Bronte (Paperback - 1 May 1992)