5.0 out of 5 stars Austen's Norton
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

Norton Critical Editions are excellent publications and a wonderful series for any students, covering plays and novels. There is a typical format - text first, notes, etc afterwards.

Published on 30 Sept. 2011 by RR Waller

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is the free version abridged? : (
Yes, I know this is free so you can't expect much from a free book but why can't we have the full text? This is my favourite classic and I was looking forward to reading the e-version but feel I have been cheated. One of my reasons for getting a Kindle was the promise of free classics and now I'm finding it be a promise with hidden terms and conditions.
I'm sure this...
Published on 26 Jun. 2012 by Vixenfox

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen's Norton, 30 Sept. 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

After a brief editor's note, there is the text, over two-hundred pages. It is a story of Regency England but for details see other reviews.

The text is followed by detailed notes on Austen's and other backgrounds, Cultural and Historical Contexts, and a lengthy (two-hundred pages) critical section including a wide range of critics. It is "only" a paperback but it is well produced and solidly glued. For the serious student of Advanced Level or above, this is an essential for Jane Austen.

5.0 out of 5 stars P&P, 5 May 2007
Gemma Linden "Gemz" (belfast, northern ireland) - See all my reviews
Without a doubt the best book i have ever read. If you have seen the film starring keira knightley I personally feel it is a poor reflection of the book itself. The film seemed so serious all the way through when in actual fact the book is fun and makes you smile throughout. Do not let that film discourage you as the only good adaptation of it was the drama on bbc years ago. I recommend it to anyone as it is an excellent book that you will not want to put down as you will constantly wonder will they or won't they where Elizabeth and Mr Darcy are concerned. A very modern book for its time with Elizabeth a headstrong young woman who loves her family and thinks Mr Darcy is a snob and Mr Darcy who falls in love with Elizabeth but must banish her opinion of him. Deffinetly buy it you won't be disapointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is the free version abridged? : (, 26 Jun. 2012
I'm sure this version is great for someone who has not read the book but many of us have. I knew by the first page something was missing from this version. Just be careful which edition you download!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the class, 25 May 2004
I had the terrible misfortune to go to a school that insisted on making us read the most miserable old books for our English courses. For years afterwards I suffered under the assumption that anything labelled as a "classic" was certain to be grim and impenetrable, and I stuck to reading relatively modern novels.
I bless the day when I wrestled with my prejudice and picked up a friend's anthology of Austen's novels. I had heard plenty about Austen's "social observation" before. It's an unfortunate phrase, because it suggested to me that her writing would be interesting but a bit dry and academic. Not a bit of it.
All of the Austen novels I've read so far have been good, but Pride and Prejudice is head and shoulders above the rest and ranks as one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. The characters are fabulously drawn, from the odious Mr Collins and the vacuous Lydia to the blithe Mr Bingley and the truly heroic Lizzie Bennett. The book is wonderfully constructed, going through what seems to be fairly straightforward plot development before Mr Darcy's proposal puts the main protagonists through a second half full of suspense and heart-felt self-criticism. Austen's writing is clear, concise, full of acute observations and coloured with a wonderful sense of humour.
While the whole book is extremely satisfying, it is Lizzie who steals the show. Much has been made of Mr Darcy's sex appeal, but most red-blooded men would find hard to deny that Miss Bennett is a deeply fascinating and attractive woman. She is fabulous throughout, and the story is peppered with moments where she delivers some truly marvelous dialogue, not least her reaction to Mr Darcy's proposal and her interview with Lady Catherine (which almost had me cheering out loud on the train into work). Strong-willed, intelligent, good-looking and cool under pressure; what a woman.
A fabulous book. How I wish I had read it years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars captivating, 23 Sept. 2003
Mrs. W. Henry (UK) - See all my reviews
elizabeth Bennet is a wilful, head strong girl, and when she first meets Mr Darcy she thinks him to be an arrogant, conceited man who dislikes her as much as she does him. when she later discovers that darcy has involved himself in the love affair of her sister jane and mr bingley, and the awful treatment of her newly discovered friend mr wickham, she is determined to hate him even more.
the story that follows is a delightfully funny and well observed tale of the dating game. and Austen's wonderful way of writing characters and there behaviour is absolutely captivating, before you know it you're drawn in to the story, willing Mr darcy and lizzie to realise how they truly feel!
for a casual reader who has not got the time to listen to the entire thing, i would recommend this as it runs at a quite comfortable 5 3/4 hours on 6 CD's. Joanna David's lovely honey voice carries you through and it draws you in, her voicing of Mrs Bennet is especially good.
however i would not recommend this for students as the book is abridged on these CD's, though the editing is done skilfully and the story lines carried nicely through the bits that are left out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice, 24 July 2011
I first bought this book in its Kindle version a week ago. To be honest, I wasn't really that keen on it. I was only persuaded to read it because I was new to the Kindle and didn't yet have a lot of books to read on it. I expected it to be tedious. I didn't find the title promising, for one thing. And for another, I had an not entirely unreasonable feeling that, since this is rather an old book, it would contain really hard language and strange words. I started off the first couple of chapters with an ill grace, but soon I was captivated by Jane Austen's excellently woven plot about family and relationships. I simply couldn't stop reading, and I was so absorbed in it that I lost track of the time. It is now my most favorite book, which is actually quite surprising because I had never imagined that anything could beat the Harry Potter novels. Also, the Kindle format is very good, with an active table of contents and everything.

The rough outline of the story is about high-ranking Mr. Darcy, who has a massive amount of wealth and middle-class Elizabeth Bennett, who has a determined prejudice against Mr. Darcy because of his pride. As the passion between them grows,it becomes more and more unlikely of their being united. I also really like the way it is all so realistic and makes you believe every word of the book. I won't go into the plot to spoil the surprise.

I've really enjoyed this book...more than anything that I have ever read before, and I hope you will read and enjoy it too. I really recommend this book to anyone over ten years of age. It is a great read... Unmissable!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely paperback edition of Jane Austen, 2 Jan. 2013
L Weale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I only have limited shelf space and now I have a Kindle I try to balance what I buy for the shelves vs. what I keep on the Kindle.

When I saw and then touched this paperback edition of Jane Austen I was instantly smitten. My existing copies are getting old and crumbly. These have pretty covers with an interesting feel, the printed pages are decent quality with a nice sized font. I bought all 6 Austens: Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

If you haven't read Jane Austen, she died in 1817 and was writing during the Napoleonic Wars, an amazing time of exploration, scientific advance and a huge expansion of trade of which she mentions hardly anything. Just occasionally how 'officers' are turning young women's heads.

It is also a time when legally women have very little money of their own and little opportunity for well paid employment and the only way for a woman to have the opportunity to express herself is from the security of marriage - ideally but not necessarily 'happy' marriage.

Pride and Prejudice and most of the rest of Jane's books follow one or more young women with nothing much but their personalities to support them manage to find love and happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone says it's timeless - but it really is!, 3 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
This was the first of Jane Austen's books I read and it remains my favourite. Pride and Prejudice is so well written, that a couple of hundred years down the line, it is still easy to understand and easy to relate to.

I love that each of the character's failings are brought out, it just makes them so very human! And yet despite being aware of Mr Darcy's pride and stiffness, Lydia's silliness, Mrs Bennett's complaints, etc, the reader is still drawn to them.

The dialogue, the description and the human touch throughout this lovely novel is what makes it timeless.

As an aside, this edition of the book is great as the author's original spelling has been left unchanged, and it's not full of appendixes and notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars An undeniable masterpiece, 6 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
Pride and Prejudice, the much-sung classic tale of the daughters who must get married, simply cannot be celebrated enough. Essentially this is the story of several young women having to make the best of their situation and do what society expects of them. Most of them actually do what society expects, and so in other words this book is about as far from a fantasy as can be: it is a book about real people, coping with real situations. It's saved from being dull and tedious by the fact that it is also beautifully romantic, stylishly narrated, and cleverly amusing, gently poking fun at all the characters in equal measure. Elizabeth is a wonderful heroine surrounded by her often ridiculous friends and family - a situation I think we can all identify with occasionally! This book was written by someone who understood humans so unbelievably well that I guarantee you will find at least one character you know in real life - Mrs Bennett, Lydia, Mr Collins and Caroline Bingley in particular are terrifyingly real.

Alright, so a fast-paced thriller it is not. The main events are fairly well-spaced between passages of conversation; it's almost as if you are watching real people that you know play out their lives, such that the book involves you in a way that most other stories can only dream of.

Everyone should read this book. Until you have you are ignorant of its wonders.

(N.B. Many of the writers of the negative reviews about the novel seem to feel they have been misled in some way, and that the book was neither what they wanted nor expected. To break it to you gently, if you're looking for car chases and gunfights, Pride and Prejudice probably isn't for you.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Is Miss Austen's work sexy?, 16 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) (Paperback)
When I was force fed her books at school, albeit I was a willing guzzler, such a question was UNTHINKABLE!!! We were taught all about irony. We learned about her little piece of ivory on which she detailed, with a devastating grip, the goings on of a rural village, while ignoring irritating distractions such as the war, but sexy? Romantic might be allowed but the desires of the flesh just weren't in our ink stained essays at all.
To many of us, it took Colin Firth's muscles rippling through his wet shirt, to realise that of course these nineteenth century folk had sex!!
I had sensed this in an unfocused way, when as a very naive adolescent I read and reread the passage when Mr Darcy finally hooks the enchanting Elizabeth,, with all the hot- breathed, secretive fervour, later applied to the 'Good bits' of Lady Chatterly's Lover. Those few pages achieved a worn and well thumbed look.
Sex permeates all her novels, though usually it is only performed amomgst The Dastardly and The Fallen often with bitter and punishing results with less than splendid isolation for the women who gave their all.. Here though, right here, Lydia GETS AWAY WITH IT!!! Has her cake and marries it too.
The novel is obsessed with marriage, it is seen as the only proper fulfillment for a young lady and something to be achieved at an early age and preferably with a large pounds sign, or sovereign sign, attached. Love does not necessarily enter into it, see for example the fate of poor old Charlotte manacled for life and up the duff, in the correct order of course, to the unspeakable creep, Mr Collins.

Lydia gets her man, through throwing herself, soul, and more particularly body, at her man but she ends up somewhere up North away from the local gentry and one can only speculate on how many nights her husband spends in some other future lady's chamber: but ah, the Good Girls, Jane and Elizabeth, they get the lot, money AND love and very flash pads close to each other. They are seen to be rewarded fully, though they do not reveal so much as a centimetre of ankle at Bingley or Darcy, their purity is beyond question.

So much has been written about this novel, its wit, its incisive insight into the mores and manners of these well heeled, marriage minded folk, there is absolutely nothing new to be said so I wont try. It is scintillating. I fell in love with it immediately,in my young teens, perhaps I didn't have much of a real life then! If you tried it at school and failed with it, give it another go. If you are not used to that sort of writing just persevere, just get into the emotion behind the prose and it is like a superb time machine into a vanished world.

Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics) by Jane Austen (Paperback - 5 May 1992)