5.0 out of 5 stars New light on old truth, 14 May 2010
Mr. S. R. Boxall (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
Paula Gooder has an absolute arsenal of information at her disposal, and she knows how to use it. Without swamping the reader with technical detail, she shows the relevance and the importance of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Having set myself the 'task' of reading through Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in quick succession, I was stunned by the Jesus I discovered. No wonder people found Him difficult to understand. Paula Gooder succeeds in showing how 'shocking' and surprising the resurrection really was to those who experienced it. Would highly recommend this book for individual study, (have not yet tried it out in Group study).

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read on the road from Easter to Pentecost, 11 July 2010
Jeremy Bevan (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
Are you disappointed by Easter ? Paula Gooder is: so often, she remarks, we pause to study and reflect throughout Lent, but once Easter day has passed, we stop all that and carry on as before. If you know that feeling, This Risen Existence could be the perfect antidote. Focusing on the meaning for us of the resurrection, ascension and Pentecost, rather than their historicity, these 42 short meditations range across most of the New Testament. Gooder's gift is to write in a way that blends the insights of the top-notch New Testament scholar with those of the mother with a young family. So she muses on the generosity of God in the resurrection (from John 21 and Ephesians 4), and ponders whether acquiring the habit of `living the resurrection' might be like adjusting to having swapped the contents of the sock and t-shirt drawers around...

Much to inspire here, then, as well as some tough questions. Can we put aside cynicism and pessimism, and practice the `apparently less sophisticated skill of thankfulness', as Ephesians 1 asks ? I enjoyed the questions, though was occasionally frustrated when they were left hanging: if the whole of the cosmos is changed by the resurrection, what does that mean for our relationship with the non-human creation, for example ? And if the world expects Christians to be harbingers of `creativity, new life, hope and a better future', how must we change ? Perhaps a bit uneven, then - and occasionally (to me) a little trite and obvious. But for all that, Gooder's small but powerful book by and large succeeds in what it sets out to do. Worth a read on the road from Easter to Pentecost ? Definitely.

4.0 out of 5 stars After Easter, 4 Mar. 2010
W. Peter Graham (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
Many books are intended to guide readers through the six weeks of Lent. Few, if any, Lent books say much about what is beyond the Cross of Good Friday and the silent tomb of Holy Saturday. At best Easter is consigned to an epilogue or an appendix. While understandable from the point of view of authors and publishers, for the reader this is frustratingly unsatisfying. Everybody knows that the death of Jesus was not the end of the story.

Paula Gooder has sought to make good this deficiency by writing her own book to take readers from Easter to Pentecost. She does this by offering a series of forty two reflections. Although these could be read on the basis of one a day, six days a week, the layout of the book does not make this easy. In any case, once into any of its highly readable seven chapters most readers will want to carry on to its end.

The first four chapters cover the Gospels, giving due attention to the particular contribution of each writer to our understanding of the resurrection appearances. The fifth chapter contains twelve reflections, all based on verses from the Letters of the New Testament. Chapters six and seven move us on to the Ascension of Jesus and the coming of the Spirit respectively. An introduction which considers what resurrection meant, what it means and how that affects the way we live our lives, is worth reading both before and after the reflections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gooder, good for all, 21 April 2012
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
Wish | had found this book a long time ago. Living the risen existence everyday becomes so much more possible now that Paula has shared her perceptions about the epistle writings on the risen Christ. Paul tells us to put on Christ's attitudes and now Paula tells us this is possible and it is! Thank you Paula for being so open to God to work through your interests and passion of words and their inbterpretations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going beyond Easter, 16 April 2010
K. Storch - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
Good to find a book that actually delivers what it promises.

The author goes beyond the Resurrection to explore the little celebrated Ascension of our Lord, Jesus Christ and onto Pentecost.

She does this via her own personal reflections on separate passages from the Bible and she uses occasions from daily life that we can all relate to, to gain deeper insight into this great mystery. The Resurrection, Ascension and Pentecost, when seen, explored and recognised as parts of the greater plan of redemption and love, brings recognition of the awesome God we serve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy for the years!, 4 Dec. 2013
P. Worthington (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter (Paperback)
This book explains the impact of the resurrection and reasons for joy for the whole year and
all the years. It takes a keen look at the Gospel accounts and asks, What are they trying to
tell us? The chapters are well titled and the author delivers the goods they promise.

I was delighted I was able to recap the book when asked what I had been reading, by reading
aloud the Epilogue and then explaining the main ideas of the seven chapters from the prompts of
their titles. A good discussion followed. It's not often you can do that, or would want to!

The author is an excellent teacher and for me her books expertly answer the most relevant
questions. Paula Gooder's, 'This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter' is an enjoyable and
enlightening book. For me Advent and Christmas are only really clear when seen through the
light of the resurrection and Easter joy. This book helps me to do that.

This is one of the very best books I have read, this year or any year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celebrate Eastertide with Paula, 19 April 2014
Mr. Michael Lumsden (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
That's my recommendation......
Others have pointed out the focus of the Church on Lent and the neglect of the 50 days of Eastertide; the elevation of the Cross with the resultant minimisation of the importance of the Resurrection, Ascension and Giving of the Spirit.
Having previously used "traditional" books through Lent I used Lent this year to look more closely at the meaning of Easter and was not disappointed to have Paula Gooder as a guide.
If Christianity is true it is about so much more than how we get to heaven - this book focuses the mind on to being changed and living life in all it's fullness; I suspect most of us, most of the time fall well short of that - Paula Gooder helps the reader have a larger vision of what is possible for ordinary people in the light of the extraordinary events of the first Easter.
The book is so good that I will be going back to page one and re-reading it over the next 50 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing it home., 13 May 2014
Mrs Christine Clarke (Kidderminster, Worcs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wonderfully written, easy to read. Really brings home the meaning and depth to the Easter message of the Risen Christ Jesus. I would recommend this for anyone who is old to the Christian Faith and New to the Christian Faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life in the Spirit explained., 12 May 2014
A challenging description of a life lived with the Holy Spirit.
Resurrection power, God in you, with you, for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking and challenging, 4 May 2013
An excellent book. Easy to read in short sections, but full of thoughtful insights leaving you with much to ponder. I read it last year and am reading it again now.

This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter
This Risen Existence: The Spirit of Easter by Paula Gooder (Paperback - 30 Nov. 2009)