4.0 out of 5 stars Advent is in the waiting., 15 Dec 2009
G. A. Vahey (West of Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Meaning Is in the Waiting: The Spirit of Advent (Paperback)
An excellent, short book for perusal and discussion in church Advent Study Groups in the 4 weeks of Advent up until Christmas. The Advent period of contemplation before Christmas is likened to the 4 weeks of Lent contemplation prior to Easter. Both are preparatory periods for Christians. Advent prepares us for the end of things as we know them, as well as for the coming of Our Lord at Christmas. The other word, preferred in the Scottish Liturgy is The Anticipation.
The book stimulates meditation, thoughts and ideas as well as discussion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read for Advent, 19 Dec 2011
We selected "The Meaning is in the Waiting" for this year's (2011) book for Advent at our Church. A number of people read the book (we provided a guide leaflet) throughout the Season. On each of the Sunday's morning services in Advent we particularly looked at: Abraham & Sarah, the OT prophet, John the Baptist, Mary the Mother of Jesus (linked with the 4 candles of Advent). A small group got together each week to discuss the book and the issues it raises.
We can recommend the book. It is well written, thought provoking and very suitable for a short study period (ie the 4 weeks of Advent).

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 28 Nov 2010
i bought this book as i thought it may be helpful to me and i was right, im 'awaiting' a remission from ill health and this wonderful little book has really helped me to wait with much more grace!

5.0 out of 5 stars Advent reading, 13 Jan 2011
Mr. R. Watson (UK) - See all my reviews
Paula Gooder has a wealth of Christian knowledge, and is able to communicate it so clearly and easily.
She explores the meaning of waiting in anticipation from the Old Testament to the New Testament. Well recommended for Advent reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and helpful, 26 Dec 2012
Mr. Michael Lumsden (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
My experience of Paula Gooder is that she has a keen academic mind, a huge store of wisdom and learning but always remembers the audience she is writing for. So the text remains accessible and practical for lay people.

The book has 4 sections - one for each of the principle characters commemorated by the Advent Wreath: The Patriarchs (particularly Abraham/Sarah); The prophets; John the Baptist; Mary - the mother of Jesus.

Each section has 6 short readings from the bible - and an introduction and closing reflection. So it can be used for the 24 days of December finishing on Christmas Eve - or for the 4 weeks leading up to Christmas (with a "day off" a week).

I have just finished working through the book with a reading each day up to Christmas Eve. It has really helped me to find the time each day to open the book and ponder and reflect. Although I have been a Christian for many years there were many things which I realised I'd not considered. It has really helped me to prepare for Christmas.

The points that particularly struck me included:
* The fact that Abraham and Sarah waited 26 years for their son to be born.......
* The aborted sacrifice of Isaac - how we can try and make some sense of it
* How the prophets call us to open our eyes to what is happening
* How the individuals are not very different from us - their experience is our experience and we can be part of the same story that they have been caught up in.
I realise that I have only scratched the surface - I look forward to rereading in December 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Intro, 24 Dec 2012
The intro is really good, helpful & almost a book in it's own right. The four " chapters " give plenty of material for thought

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reading for Advent, 21 Dec 2012
Paula Gooder uses the traditional biblical characters associated with the Christmas wreath to put forward some very inspiring ideas on the meaning of waiting – which she says we are loath to do in this day and age! The text is easily readable but full of points to ponder. I have found it so helpful and love the adaptability of the sections – some I have spent ten minutes on – others researched and pondered on for hours!! I would definitely recommended this book to anyone interested in looking deeper into the stories of the Abraham, the prophets, John the Baptist and Mary and their importance at Christmas time. Also for those seeking a closer encounter with God within their own hearts and lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars want to know what your life is all about? Read this!, 9 Dec 2012
Mrs. D. M. Morgan (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Absoluely fabulous book. We are using it at church and it is bringing out so much of the struggles we are facing and how to deal with them. Wonderful book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good advent read, 30 Dec 2011
I read this book this advent (December 2011)and enjoyed it. There is a (longish) introduction about waiting and then the book is split into four sections: Abraham and Sarah; the prophets (various); John the Baptist; and Mary. Each section has six readings. A couple of Bible verses start these (and the reference is given for a longer passage is given should you want it) and then it reflects on the passages and waiting. I read it most days of advent and found it easy to do so. I thought it was particularlygood at trying to look at what it would have been like for the people concerned who didn't know how the story was going to turn out.

4.0 out of 5 stars waiting, 28 Dec 2013
Gooder uses the advent ring to contemplate the various figures associated with each candle. In so doing I found myself being challenged in thought and in the meaning of waiting.

The Meaning Is in the Waiting: The Spirit of Advent
The Meaning Is in the Waiting: The Spirit of Advent by Paula Gooder (Paperback - 29 Aug 2008)
6.95