4.0 out of 5 stars An "Extra Ecclesiam" Theology
Published on 22 Aug. 2008 by Allan M. Savage

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with "After the Church"!
I purchased the work thinking that it was a study of the ever-weakening status of religion in today's society, and the effect of this on our changing attitudes towards sexual matters.

Published on 2 July 2010 by James L. Dymond

4.0 out of 5 stars An "Extra Ecclesiam" Theology, 22 Aug. 2008
Allan M. Savage (Thunder Bay, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After the Church: Divine Encounter in a Sexual Age (Paperback)
In "grappling with the meaning of life in a Western post-Christian world" (Rosemary Ruether), Claire's short work is not to be mistaken for an average self-help book. It is an example of contemporary practice of theologizing "outside the church," as she admits. Though short, the book contains pithy, insightful comments arising out of personal experience. The book gives the impression that almost every word is weighed. The enduring value of this work, to my mind, is that Claire invites us to follow her parents' decision in our respective lives. "They stopped reading the story and stepped into the book" to find a new imaging of God. My initial reading was completed in one afternoon. However, the more enriching reading followed over the period of a few days. I had purchased the book on speculation that I might gain some insight into her father's theological understanding since I am doing research for a book on the theological similarities and differences among Charles Davis, Leslie Dewart and Gregory Baum. I read this book as a philosopher, but not presupposing any particular school, ie, Thomist, Cartesian, Hegelian, etc. so as not to prejudice my appreciation of her perspective. Were I to discern a philosophy underpinning her thinking, I would identify it as holistic phenomenology. Whether one's point of departure in reading the book is as a philosopher, a theologian, a social critic, or a wounded soul, there are brief personal statements throughout the book that reveal a great deal about her fidelity to revelation in relating her growth through a variety of human personal experiences. If I have understood her correctly, I draw the conclusion that for some of us we may have to "leave the church" in order to "enter the Church" and leave the guilt behind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth reading!, 4 Jan. 2008
This book is an exploration of key Christian themes (the Fall, Babel to Pentecost, Incarnation, the Trinity, the Body of Christ, Worship) from a post-church perspective. The author re-interprets them in a way that makes more sense to her than church-based interpretations.

If Christianity is to be really meaningful today, it needs to connect with people's everyday lived experience - it needs to scratch where people itch. The author identifies contemporary unmet needs and simmering anxieties, and shows how Christian themes and texts can be re-interpreted to have something relevant to say. This book reveals an interesting step forward in post-church Christianity.

My only criticism of the book is that it is too short at 77 pages - I was left wanting more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with "After the Church"!, 2 July 2010
James L. Dymond (Aldershot, England) - See all my reviews

Unfortunately it turned out to be a very disjointed catalogue of parts of the old and new testaments and the personal history of the author and her religiously inconsequential parents!

Anyone who wants to be bored and frustrated my Ms Henderson Davis's coloquial and irrational meanderings about Christianity and sexuality should read this book.

Anyone else should leave it alone!

After the Church: Divine Encounter in a Sexual Age
After the Church: Divine Encounter in a Sexual Age by Claire Henderson Davis (Paperback - 13 May 2013)