I was at the stage where my own European Eagle Owl was flying free and ready for the next stage of training as we progressed (hopefully) to the day when he would take a rabbit. Having read books by other author's (including one called "Falconry" in which the subject of falconry itself is not even covered!) I needed the right book - and I needed it now.

When the book first arrived it looked as though it might end up being a 4 Star book - but I was wrong. You see, each and every book I review (and I have reviewed several hundred), commences with a full quota of 5 stars. Stars may then be lost for any number of reasons - but they have to be lost through some shortcoming of the book itself. There are no shortcomings here.

The book measures 9½in x 6¼in (24cm x 16cm) and contains 150 pages. It is well laid out, well written and well illustrated. The subjects range from an introduction to the subject of falconry, getting started, equipment (and it's all in there!), your first bird, care, illnesses, rules of the sport and the law.

Not only did I come to the book with a lot of questions, but as I read the book (some sections more than once) I found myself asking yet more questions. It says much for the competence of this author that all the answers were found - within the book itself. I have already adopted the author's prescribed method of intruding a Rabbit lure to my bird - and it's working.

In short, I am so delighted with this book that I could not find a single reason to deduct one star. The reader gets exactly what it says on the cover; This is a book about "Falconry for Beginners" and an excellent one at that.

NM
on 21 June 2003
This book contains plenty of information for anyone who is considering taking up falconry. It outlines exactly how much time and commitment is required to own a bird of prey. Before anyone even thinks about so much as attending a course on birds of prey, I strongly advise reading this book before going anywhere near a hawk. After having attended a course and gained some experience, it will become rather limited however. As the title suggests though, it is a book for beginners.
The content is concise, no-nonsense and to the point which I find makes the book extremely readable although I admit he does repeat himself, particularly in the equipment section where he advises against ordering items via mail order since they cannot be checked in person.
All in all it is a good read for anyone who is interested in birds of prey.
on 4 November 2001
Well, what can I say.
It is the most interesting book on Falconry I have read. The information is very helpful and it has convinced me I want to be a Falconer, but has provided the essential advise other books (and I have read a few) lack!!!!
If any would-be Falconer is seriously looking at becoming a falconer, this book would have to be your first step in gaining valuble advice and information. A MUST
on 4 October 2011
Just what I needed to clarify in my mind just what was involved before starting falconry as a pastime (or obsession!) - having enjoyed a one-day taster at a local Birds of Prey centre, I had a vision of raising and training a falcon. What this book explains, in a clear and easy to read style, is just what is necessary to get from a vision to a reality - the effort and commitment required, plus the costs and the practical issues relating to equipment, training etc.
Totally recommend this book to every other enthusiastic beginner
on 23 April 2001
Being very new to falconry I have bought many books on this complicated subject. It has to be said however that this book without any doubt is the finest of them all. Although it does not cover training birds of prey it covers vital areas which any responsible beginner would wish to abide by. The author writes in plain English which really helps people like myself. My advice to anyone thinking of taking up this sport is to purchase this book, believe me your'll be glad you did.
on 2 August 2013
Very good book for someone just starting out or a seasoned falconer, written by someone who obviously knows his stuff.
on 25 September 2015
I bought this to accompany another falconry book. And both have very informative and clear information for anyone considering falconry. This book compliments the other quite well as the information is similar and accommodates the individual styles and experience of both authors. Some great pictures too.
on 12 November 1998
Being new to falconry, this book is filled with all the information to set the beginner off on the right tracks. This book is a must for anyone starting off within a sport of such high demands. BRILLIANT.
on 3 January 2000
The best part of this book is the law section, which is written by a UK authority and there it ends! The book appears to be a good advert for the author's courses and will instruct the tyro little about how to train a bird of prey. The section on choosing a hawk isn't bad and I agree with the author's advice concerning Buzzards. The book has been written with all good intentions, but spend your money on something else, like Jemima Parry-Jones's book, or Philip Glasier's classic. The section on building a weathing for a bird is terrible, please take other advice & don't follow these instructions. Save your money and choose another title.
on 10 January 2001
Intrested in falconry?
Worried about the skills your'll need, the time your'll have to find, the money your'll have to spend.
Worry no more. Get your hands on a copy of this book and start enjoying falconry. Falconry for beginners takes the beginner through the pros and cons of the sport and gets down to addressing vital issues. A top book written for the beginner.