Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2007
I found this book witty and enlightening. As a Suffolk girl born and bred it was interesting to find out why people sometimes don't have a clue what I am talking about. I had never realised before how localised a dialect really can be. I would recommend this to anyone, but most expecially to anyone who lives in or lived in Suffolk.
on 20 June 2013
Fantastic reminiscences of a bygone age when Suffolk was an agricultural industrial heartland, not a playground for the rich and stupid townies with more money than sense...let's not go there!
Charlie Haylock has caught the culture perfectly in the written word (not an easy thing to do) though I am not sure that it should be advertised to the foreigners, they understand what is going on around them now! Each book gives a cultural and historic background as well as lavish doses of humour.
You might guess that I am from Suffolk, born and bred EAST Suffolk! I don't sing when I talk!
on 6 February 2013
I could never tire of reading books from this author, maybe because I'm an expat born and bred in Ipswich (county town of Suffolk). Certainly all Suffolkites should have this, and all the other books from this author, in their possession. Not just to put on display but to sit down and have a damned good read.
on 29 August 2014
I bought two copies of this book, one (signed! :) ) for an American friend and the other for myself. I think the friend was rather bewildered but I fell in love with Charlie and his superb skill of teaching something interesting about the dialect and history of my home county and making me laugh as he did it. I love the way Suffolkers speak and am dismayed that the dialect might one day die out, so thank you Charlie for keeping it alive. I have his other books too, can't recommend them highly enough!
on 8 October 2014
funny book and is in excellent condition for a second hand copy. Arrived quickly and an absolute bargain at 1p plus P&P!!
on 3 January 2015
Brought for Christmas present- very good!