on 17 April 2009
After wading through many books from the Library, I came across this one at a Coffee Morning! The stallholder persuaded me to buy it even though I had nearly finished writing my Family Hisory. Reluctantly I forked out £1 (I'd beaten her down from £2)and took it home. It really focused me and when I read, 'You cannot possibly include everything,' that enabled me to draw things to a conclusion - after 30 years of writing! There is so much helpful advice in there, better than I've found anywhere else, I think. Now that my book is being published, there is more advice on how to distribute and sell your book. It's all there. On the Anniversary of the said Coffee Morning, I returned and gave the same stallholder another £1, telling her how useful the book had been. The best £2 I've every spent!
on 5 March 2003
This book is designed to help those who wish to take collecting material about their ancestors a step further. It explains the different stages of doing this in an easy, step by step style. Under four main headings it describes how to collect your material, how to organise and arrange it into book form, how to decide on the size, shape and number of illustrations, and how to get it published.
on 24 December 2009
I was hoping to find a guide to structure in a coherent way the information gathered on the family, the book indeed covers the topics individually but does not do much in the way of proposing a "workflow". I am not sure if it makes sense to expect this from a book, but there isn't much innovative advice I got from the text which I haven't found by searching the web or by simply using some common sense.
on 4 February 2007
This book is a real eye opener. It gave me lots to think about in the first few pages. It takes you through writing your family history from early research to publication. Johns voice clearly comes through and I felt as if I was having a personal one to one with him.

Get this book and no other!
on 18 October 2012
A little bit dated now that ancestry research and computers make our lives so much easier, but nonetheless gives some good pointers. It's not the best written book, but worthwhile getting to get ideas about your own presentation.
on 7 November 2013
After researching my family history for the pasr 15 years or so, I have been looking for a product to enable me to present the information collatedd in the best possibled way. This book not only helps me do that but gives me a choice of styles. For anyone at the point of writing their family history, I would recommend this.
on 20 November 2011
I approached this book warily as I hadn't had the chance to 'flick through' as one does in a shop. However, I needn't have worried as it was well written and informative. I especially liked the author's idea of writing up cameo's of different relatives as stories arose which could then be grouped together and just printed as a series of short stories of various family members. Very helpful indeed. I would recommend this book for anyone thinking of starting the marathon of writing up their family history.
on 28 April 2014
Although I have only read a little of book it gives read useful guidance about writing tips and how to structure the writing the info on your family history it is one of those books once you start reading you can not put down
on 29 December 2012
You can tell that all the characters in the book are dead because the pictures are in black and white, and as we all know, colour is the vibrancy of life. If you're tempted to buy the book, don't bother!The only tits are on the cover.
In all seriousness, though, it's a crackingly informative guide, but the ghost family part is a bit of an oversight.
on 19 January 2012
John Titford wrote an excellent chapter on how to resurrect your ghost family. But did not write a chapter on how to get rid of them again. They're still living in my basement.

[...]