5.0 out of 5 stars This is the guide book I need disguised as a good story
Published on 12 Jan 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but slight problem.......
Published on 24 Dec 2011 by notcruella

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the guide book I need disguised as a good story, 12 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure (Asperger Adventures) (Paperback)
I read this book in under an hour and then immediately picked it up and read it again, much to my brother's disappointment ("It's my book!") It is a story that succeeds in the challenge parents and siblings have been faced with for years - how to explain what Autism is without drowning people amidst technical terms and psychology. It contains a lot of information whilst still being an intriguing tale of a boy's adventure that would excite any child whether they had autism or not. It was a wonderful to listen to my brothers cries of "Oh now I understand," " I do that," " Aspergers - that's what I have." The story highlights the problems for family and friends of Autistic children and for the children themselves and allows the reader to take up their part in the story. It provides advice and support, a good explanation of Austism and a heart-warming story. We shall have to buy another copy because both my brother and I love it too much to let the other have a read. My only criticism is that it does not make a good bed-time story as my brother would not go to sleep; he wanted to hear more of the story and tell me more about what he had read. Congratulations, this is a truly wonderful book!

4.0 out of 5 stars an easy way to get in their heads., 25 Jan 2002
As this book is written in story form I gave it to my 11 year old son to help him to understand how his younger brother age 5 see's the world, what he has to offer the world and what we can offer him. I will also give this book to my baby son when he's old enough so he understands his brother better.my 11 year old read the book and when he had finished said "now i get it" He certainly seems to have got it, the bits that realy matter anyway. I would recomend this book to anyone with aspergers in the family it's an easy way to get inside.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but slight problem......., 24 Dec 2011
I bought this book to share with my recently diagnosed AS son and his younger brother. Unfortunately, it wasn't clear from the precis that the boy in the story has lost his mum and my AS son being fairly egocentric would have found this too difficult to hear in a story. One of his major fears is losing his parents - he is particularly attached to me and cannot even watch DVDs like 'Home Alone' as his worries come too strongly to the fore. I am glad I read the book before attempting to share it with my children as it would have sparked a major episode for him. The mother being dead was not necessary for the story and to be honest I found it used simply as a vehicle for some of the plot. The child is also written with a lot more self awareness and self knowledge than I have noticed in AS children I have been in contact with (aged under 10 yrs in the main). The friendship with his peer is also quite amazingly uncomplicated, again not something we would be able to relate to. This isn't an out and out criticism as it affects all children differently but I was quite disappointed as Ben was not close enough to my son's experience for this book to be useful. If you have a child who has managed to make a social connection, is fairly self aware and can make the necessary leaps to find this useful then it would be an invaluable book. Sadly it just wasn't for us so I am seeking alternative books to help broach this subject with my sons.

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you tell a child they might have Aspergers Syndrome ?, 18 Dec 2009
My son loved this story. I suspected that my child had Aspergers and I thought this might help him come to terms with it. Even knowing the checklist of symptoms it did not prepare me for how the little boy in the story felt with things we take for granted every day. We read a few pages every night and well before the end of the book my son said 'I'm like Ben aren't I' as more of a statement rather than a question. It has made him feel better knowing that he is not alone.
Just to give an example of how scary things can be for him I went to my sons carol service the other day. When he walked in with his class he was really happy to see me and waved. On the way out he was close to tears and shook his head when I asked if he was okay. He did not tell me until bedtime that in church his teacher had leaned over and said 'Would you like to move up a bit' he replied 'I'm fine where I am thank you'. He thought he had been polite and could not understand why the teacher glared at him. This spoilt the rest of his day as he knew he had given the wrong answer but didn't know what he should have said instead. I presume the teacher meant 'Would you move up a bit' and thought he was being cheeky with the reply he gave.
My son was excited when I told him that Ben was in another adventure story so I can highly recommend 'Of Mice and Aliens' too. My son, who is 7 would like his teachers to read this story to show that he is a good boy and that he doesn't mean to sound pedantic - his words not mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for talking about Asperger syndrome, 3 July 2001
By A Customer
Enjoyed and appreciated by 9 year old. A very good way for developing conversation with a child who has recently learned they have AS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 26 Oct 2007
Myself and my wife both read this story to our 9 year old son - we'd been considering the best way to explain to him why he was different from other children and this book provided the ideal way.

It's a well crafted, short story that works on every level. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars he's just like me, 6 May 2004
gave the book to my 8 year old recently diagnosed Aspergers son. It helped him see he was different to his 6 year old severely autistic brother.
He laughed out loud and frequently commented that " he's just like me". It helped him realise it's ok to have one special friend and not be part of a group. He loved the magical element especially.
He now also has a special hiding place in school but independantly told his headmaster " so he'll know where to find me".
This book really helped my son see he was different but not an alien and it also helped his teachers explain his condition to the rest of his classmates

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Dec 2009
Mrs. J. Bailey (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my son to read, I read a few pages of it first and then I couldn't put it down. It was brilliant, I wish I could find a bottle like that.....Oops, I think my son wants to read it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant story, 26 April 2009
Any story that gets a kid reading is good.
Any story that gets a kid to enjoy reading is great.
But any story that gets a kid to do all that and begin to understand autism is brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mystery of the Blue Bottle, 22 May 2009
Susan Moss "Mossop" (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my 13 yr old grandson. I haven't had a report back yet. However, this grandma found it an insight into who he is. Anything that nornalises Asperges has to be good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure (Asperger Adventures)
Blue Bottle Mystery: An Asperger Adventure (Asperger Adventures) by Kathy Hoopmann (Paperback - 6 Dec 2000)