4.0 out of 5 stars My Social Stories Book

Published on 14 Nov 2003 by A Clinical Psychologist

4.0 out of 5 stars My Social Stories Book, 7 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
My son is 6 years old with high functioning autism. I found this book extremely helpful. He struggles with all issues around personal hygiene and general domestic stuff like eating at the table etc. I typed up the stories relevant to him and used the great pictures to create his own social story book. I changed some of the wording to be less american but apart from that I found the stories easy for him to understand and they've proved to be revolutionary. He is now having his toenails cut and his hair without fuss and actually asks to read the story whilst this is being done. As a parent I cannot praise this book enough - I wish I'd bought it 2 years ago!

2.0 out of 5 stars A geat idea, shame the book isn't better, 14 Nov 2003
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
Social stories are a great strategy for teaching children on the autistic spectrum about what to do in situations they find difficult. I use them with families a lot and they work well. The only problem is that the book has only a few pages on how to write a good social story, and the rest of the book is 100 example stories written by American Psychology students. Some are okay, but most you would want to customise anyway. I'd have much preferred more on how to write the stories and why they work, and a few strong examples. As it is the books feels like a great idea, but a lot of filler.

2.0 out of 5 stars Informative but not very readable, 12 Aug 2008
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
Social stories are an invaluable tool for explaining social situations, rules and conventions to an ASD child. However, this book does not do the subject justice. In my opinion this book does not explain the concept of social stories clearly, nor does it make it clear how a story may be written and tailored to the needs of an individual child. This book may of course be aimed at childcare professionals but as a parent I found the following book much more helpful and most importantly useable: Writing and Developing Social Stories: Practical Interventions In Autism by Caroline Smith (also available on Amazon).

5.0 out of 5 stars A real break through, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
I was told about social stories but unless you have been shown one and had it explained then you really dont understand how to do one. I found this book to be a real help as my daughter has the speech of a 2 year old and finds it very frustrating when she cant communicate properly. This book has been a blessing in disguise as both my son and daughter are on the autistic spectrum so it means I can use the social stories for them both, they need adapting to suit the situation but I found that it is a good teaching aid for parents, the children usually like doing their own one to show me that they understand what has been said.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
Social stories are a brilliant idea - but they need to be personalised for the child -
I was hard pushed to find one I could use.
Save your money and go on the NAS website, read the guidelines and create your own
social stories.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 30 Aug 2011
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
I bought this book to read with my rising five grandson. I really couldnt see the value of it. He is very aware of washing and toilets and baths etc but just won't use any of these facilities. to read in this book that it is an 'intelligent' thing to do is a concept completely beyond him. As mentioned before, perhaps the book is for professionals who can tailor things to the individual child concerned. I would like to see a DVD made, where favourite characters (like Georgie Pig, or Lightning McQueen) take baths and go to the toilet. I think this would have much more influence and effect on my grandson, who loves to copy speech and behaviour from TV characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 5 Dec 2009
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
I bought this book on recommendation when my child was first diagnosed as having aspergers. He enjoyed looking through it with my. It has given me useful pointers in helping him understand certain situations. It is very simplistic possibly too much so for my situation. I would recommend as a useful tool for helping you help your child deal with difficult situations

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
I have used this book at school with a boy I work with and it has helped him make sense of the world around him. Lots of my colleagues who also work with children with special educational needs have also used it and said it has really helped them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!!, 2 April 2014
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
I've been using this book since Dec 13, and it's sets out very clear and easy stories that help children with ASD and other social difficulties to understand every day activities in the classroom and at home. I would fully recommend this book :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Social stories, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: My Social Stories Book (Paperback)
a really useful book even for children not on the spectrum as has different stories on how to share and what is a friend.

My Social Stories Book
My Social Stories Book by Carol Gray (Paperback - 1 Feb 2001)