on 12 March 2002
As a parent of a child with Autistic Spectrum Disorder who could scream for 20 hours per day we were desparate for understanding and help. A friend loaned me a copy of Marilyn Le Breton's book and our lives changed. Within weeks of implementing the diet our son had changed beyond all expectations. I now have two copies of this book. One I keep and the other which is being passed around my son's nursery staff.
In two parts, the first part is the story of herself and her children and their journey through implementing the diet. She tells with such honesty and humour, warts and all, her disasters and successes.
The second part contains recipes and ideas for all the food your child could ever want to eat.
Thanks to this diet, many lives have been improved. I simply could not have implemented it without Marilyn's help. This book is so easy to read with it's friendly and practical 'I don't do science' style I would recommend it without any reservation. My child's support worker was unable to put the book down. In reading just this one book she learned everything she needed to know about my child and his autism and how diet affected him. What a shame that I can only give it a maximum five stars when I would gladly give it so much more.
Thanks to Marilyn we now have hope for the future. Any parent of a similar child should buy this book and give the diet a try.
on 19 September 2001
If it was possible to give more than 5 stars for this book, I would have done it! This is essential reading for parents of autistic children. It is written by a parent who has had to find out about this diet the hard way. It is readable with clearly understandable explanations and interesting bits of experience. The book explains in layman's terms why the diet is so important and gives practical and easy to follow advice on how to approach it. The second half of the book contains excellent recipies using ingredients which are readily available in the UK. I have never been a baker, but I now make delicious biscuits, cakes and wonderful chocolate brownies.
There is also a section with useful addresses of suppliers of ingredients and support organisations in the UK.
If you have an autistic child, do them a favour and get this book!
on 7 September 2001
As a mother of a 7 year old boy with severe autism who has had chronic bowel symptoms for most of his life, this book has given me the confidence to impliment this diet with relatively few problems. My son had suffered from very serious colic , resulting in pain and aggression until he started this diet. I now have a very changed child who for most part is pain free and happy.
on 11 February 2002
This book is a positive guide to implementing a gf/cf diet and clearly outlines the other components of this approach to dealing with autism. I have found it invaluable on a daily basis and the practical approach has enabled me to implement this diet over a 6 week period. This practical book encourages and reassures when times are hard and it offers other points of contact. The way that the book takes one step at a time means that it is an invaluable guide to those starting this diet and I would highly recommend it both for the experiences, advice and recipes.
on 2 February 2008
I have purchased this book in preparation for the GF/CF diet for our 6 yr old with Aspergers. I have read and re-read the book and now feel knowledgeable enough to begin to implement the diet over the Easter holiday. Without reading the book I would have implemented the diet without preperation - possibly resulting in unnecessary upset. The book is informative, easy to follow and avoids technical jargon. The recipes are useful with helpful suggestions like how to make your own GF flour. The recipes are also very appealing to children. The book also raises other issues I would never have considered like the use of MSG's and Aspartmine. This has probably been the most valuable purchase I have made since receiving a diagnosis.
on 31 May 2001
Our son (2.5 years old) has mild autism and I bought this book to see whether the change in diet had an effect on him. Removing the milk & diary products from his diet was possibly the best thing we have ever done for him. He now gets soy based substitutes and his stools are better and he seems to be better behaved. I am not sure about the impact of gluten on him so much, but this could be because he is fairly mildly affected by the condition. It comes down to it that we should watch carefully what we feed our children. Food nowadays is laden with artificial colours, preservatives and flavour enhancers, I know that I am doing him a favour by not giving him any food or drink that contains to much of these.
on 21 February 2004
This is a fantastic book full of information, advice and recipes.The first part of the book explains how the diet can help your child or person involved and gives important advice about starting the diet, there is a recipe section and all foods are easily obtained in the UK, lastly there is a list of contacts which may be of use. If your about to embark on a GF/CF diet this book is a must, its an excellent starting point to set you up and get you on your way.
on 5 February 2004
If you are thinking of buying this book you probably have, or suspect you have, a child on the autistic spectrum. Buy the book - Marilyn's story will inspire you to try the diet. And while it may not work for every child, if you do it properly you may very well see significant improvements. We have halted and reversed our three year old daughter's slide into aggression, isolation and frustration, and are beginning to see glimpses of the "real" little girl underneath. Our older daughter's Asperger's symptoms have almost completely disappeared. We are indebted to Marilyn and the wonderful group of AiA parents for all their emotional and practical support. The potential benefits are so worth the extra effort involved in going gfcf, and Marilyn guides you past many of the mistakes you could otherwise make. This book is the first step - take it!
on 23 July 2014
I bought this for a friend who's son has autism, she had no idea where to turn for advice and info and sometimes the medical mainstream ideas of how to reduce symptoms are not every ones cup of tea. I am a big believer in dietary intervention so based on the excellent reviews on this, I got her this book. She is not a big reader but I told her this was an easy interesting read and she read the entire book, After reading she immediately told me that it was like reading about her own son, she couldn't believe the similarities in his dietary requirements, and symptoms. She now has some idea on how some sugar and other chemicals effect her little boy in particular and if she chooses to go down this route she knows exactly what to do. I really admire the writers style which is no nonsense, straight to the point, and also a few laughs in there. This is exactly what Mums need. Excellent book!
on 18 September 2011
Normally, it takes me weeks to read a book. I read this in 2 evenings! I could not put it down (which often meant me going to bed in the early hours!)
What I liked was the honesty of the author and relevance of her being British, mentioning well known supermarkets and giving tips on buying gluten free foods.
I offered my copy to a friend to borrow, but I can't bring myself to part with it!
The only downside is this was written ten years ago. I have tried to contact a supplier but the website is not 'active'.
I have had my son's urine tested with ESPA Research which is mentioned in the book and was highly recommended.