4.0 out of 5 stars A Safe Choice
Published on 27 Jan. 2006 by Suzie

1.0 out of 5 stars Out of date marked book
The copy I bought is out of date and this was not mentioned. The previous owner has annotated pages and completed questionnaires in pencil. I wish I had bought Tony Attwood's more recent publication which would have given me his recent findings in an area where much development is taking place and I could then give more help to my grandson.
Published 5 days ago by polly Holbrook

4.0 out of 5 stars A Safe Choice, 27 Jan. 2006
Suzie "Say something about yourself!" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals (Paperback)
If you are looking for a respectable, straightforward guide to Asperger Syndrome then you will be happy with Tony Attwood's well written and thoughtful offering. This book is one of the best sellers on the subject, and has remained popular despite many similar books continually coming on to the market. It covers diagnosis, social behaviour, language, interests and routine, motor clumsiness, cognition, sensory sensitivity, and frequently asked questions, and includes helpful summaries of practical advice at the end of each chapter. It is easy read but still a very comprehensive introduction, and while it focuses mainly on children, it can be relevant to adults with the diagnosis too. It's not perfect, but nonetheless I consider this book to be helpful and sensitive, and if you are the parent of a child with AS and you are only going to read one book on the subject then this one would be a good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely informative, essential reading, 17 Dec. 1999
This book is by far the best publication i have ever read concerning AS. Whether you have just received a new diagnosis or you are already living with the effects of an AS child in your family, this book is an essential guide. It will expand your knowledge on the areas you are already familiar with, and also give you a firm, clear understanding of the whole spectrum of AS. When i read this book, my son had just received his diagnosis and it helped me as a parent understand. Nearly two years on i am still dipping into it for advice. I would strongly recommend this book. It is reader friendly, terminolology is clearly explained. It is not a typical heavy duty text book that has be ploughed through! When you read this book, it as if you are being introduced to your own child. If you can understand the AS, then you can understand your child 100% better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven years of searching ended with this book., 19 May 1999
By A Customer
Our 13 year old son has been in and out of doctors and therapists offices since he was in first grade. The documentation is 3/4 of an inch thick. At the suggestion of another parent I got the book (via Amazon) and started to read it. I got a second copy for my wife as I headed out of town on a business trip - upon my return we both went "Ah Ha!" finally a diagnosis that tied all the lose ends together! Since then (March 99) we have traveled to see Attwood lecture, with our son, who stood and cheered for Tony. We have also handed out copies of the book to grandparents, school counselors, teachers and administrators. THIS IS WHY THIS BOOK IS SO IMPORTANT - ONCE THEY READ THE BOOK - THEY GOT IT!!! We were getting to be on a first name basis with the school disciplinarian - but after he read the book, and because it is so well written he read it all - then he could see what our son was dealing with, and could understand him, and could begin to work to improve things. (For that alone I'm ready to erect a statue to Attwood!) If you, or anyone you know, needs to understand Aspergers this is the place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very accessible but short on evalaution studies., 24 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
A very readable account of AS and its features. However, despite its popularity it is a book that I would have as second choice behind the work of Asperger Syndrome by Val Cumine et al. Attwood is a bit short on evaluation studies for some of the approaches he recommends, e.g. the social stories approach. If you are a parent or an Aspergee then go ahead and buy it; but you may find yourself buying something else to give your more substantial information on intervention programmes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been diagnosed with AS, or know someone who has? Read it!, 31 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
I am 22 and have recently been diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome.
I feel as though this book clearly and succinctly shows how Asperger's Syndrome affects those of us who have been diagnosed.
It is also a very good book for parents of children who have been diagnosed. It explains very well, the "quirks" that those of us with Asperger's Syndrome have.
I would highly recommend this book. It would be a wise investment. Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book led to our daughter's diagnosis, 17 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
My daughter is dyslexic, and for many years we put all her "quirks" and "oddities" down to this. In fact it muddied the waters for us and her. When she got to age 14yrs, she began to have great difficulties with peer group relaitonships etc. Her behaviour became really quite bizzare. I have worked with children with AS and had begun to contemplate that she might in fact have it. I got this book and stayed up until 2am until I had read it all. When I spoke to my husband in the morning I said, "I know what's wrong with Julie (not her real name) and went to our GP to ask for a referral to the hospital. She was diagnosed on the spot and life has been so much easier for us all now that we understand this often misunderstood condition. I would recommend this book to anyone who suspects their child may have AS or to anyone who knows their child has AS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading about AS, 28 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I have AS and it has helped me to understand myself better. It covers all the main aspects of AS, whilst pointing out that every case is different (more useful than case-specific autobiographies in my view). It is very easy to read whilst still being incredibly informative.
If you have AS, or if you have a friend/relation with AS, you need to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best material for laymen and professionals on AS., 7 April 1999
By A Customer
This book is a wonderful starting place for parents with AS kids and the professionals who work with those kids. Attwood is very positive about the outlook for these special children but he lays out in detail the many problems and pitfalls that parents can expect to encounter along the way. My daughter was diagnosed with AS 5 months ago and I was astounded to find that every page descibed her perfectly. Quirks that I could never understand became clear to me. I have much more patience for her now that I understand the basis for her differences. As a consequence her behavior has improved immensely.
The only subject I found disappointing was the section on medication. My daughter is taking medication and I have not been able to find ANY information on the use of Wellbutrin with AS kids. Attwood does not go into any details on meds and those of us in the trenches could certainly use some guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does he know my child?, 31 May 2001
By A Customer
In the first few pages of this book I was thinking "How does this man know my child when he has never met him?" He brought together all of my son's little ways which previously seemed totally unrelated and made sense of them for me, even down to the Thomas the Tank Engine obsession!
If anyone is in any doubt whether their child has Asperger's or not this book will help you no end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Parents Guide ever � read this one first, 28 Dec. 2004
Keith Appleyard "kapple999" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
If there is one book on Aspergers you should read before all others, then this is that book.
In very plain language it takes a Parent (or Teacher) through all aspects of Aspergers, such as Social Behaviour, Language, Interests, Routine & Motor Clumsiness.
I lent my copy to a colleague whose son was having behaviour problems at School. Having read the book, she better understood what he was going through. Moreover, when the family were being interviewed by Health Professionals brought in by the School, she was better able to pre-empt their premature evaluation of her son because she understood where they were coming from. In one instance, she even recognised which checklist they were mechanically following, because she'd already been there and used it. This book gave her the confidence to know when the things being recommended for her son were & weren't the best thing for him.

Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals by Tony Attwood (Paperback - 15 Jan. 1998)