5.0 out of 5 stars That fella's got a face like an...
Recently I decided to check out some new comic titles - by "new" obviously meaning ones I haven't read yet, as Preacher ran from 1995 to 2000. While Preacher is of course a well-known title among comics/graphic novels, it was mostly a shot in the dark. Well, when I turned the light on, there was a big smoking bullet hole right in the bullseye.
I started out...
Published on 7 Jan 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit over hyped I felt.
I was given this as I had been reading The Boys and really enjoying it and heard everyone ranting about Preacher so my cousin gave me a loan of it. Almost every review I have read has basically said that if you like Garth Ennis you should stick to Preacher of Punisher as it was better than the boys.

I felt this book got off to a fantastic star. The storyline...
Published 22 months ago by Family Man

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars That fella's got a face like an..., 7 Jan 2006
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
I started out skeptical. Take Cassidy: an Irish vampire. It felt pretty thrown together, but before long you're loving the guy for being such a reliable jerk. The craziest things happen in Preacher, but in the end all you can do is laugh your head off and turn the page.
Not that it's all smiles, of course. The sheer amount of flesh-rending gunshot wounds in the entire Preacher series is staggering. And pitting God Almighty as the antagonist is a pretty damn brave thing to do - we may live in a fairly liberal western world, but surely some things people still don't suffer to be taken lightly. Be warned, Jesse Custer is not strictly a moral man, and some may find offense in the comic's easily dispensed violence and unforgiving treatment of 'bad folks' (until they remember that it is, after all, just a comic, that is).
Preacher is a fresh take on the mythology of America, strong plot, surprises for even the most cynical among us, one-liners and panels that make you burst out laughing ("Paulie, you sure you're not just ****ed in the head?"), strong characters (Tulip must be one of the toughest chicks ever seen in comic books), and no compromises. Pick up Gone To Texas and be assured that every issue after it is at least as good as the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comic series I've ever read, 27 May 2003
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
It's weird. Back when I used to read classic Brit sci-fi comic '2000AD', my favourite story with my favourite art was 'Slaine', drawn by the amazing Glenn Fabry, and quite possibly my most hated story with my most hated art was 'Rogue Trooper', drawn by some guy called Steve Dillon.
Fast forward to the present, and I'm stunned, amazed and delighted by 'Preacher', which I've only just discovered. It has the most fantastic, hilarious and sharp writing by Garth Ennis, totally mind-bending covers by Glenn Fabry...and...what's this? Superb art by Steve Dillon! Yes, he has improved so much since those old 2000AD days, and I now love his work. All three of these talents come together perfectly to create what is, without a doubt, the best comic series I've ever read.
Although the central story of Preacher is something about demon/angel posession and a vendetta against God, most of the series' time is spent on a multitude of subplots and happy meanderings through insanity, perversion and numerous moments of ultra-violence as three of the most damn likeable lead characters you'll ever meet, wander around America encountering all kinds of weirdos and freaks, each with a twisted tale to tell. Every line that Ennis writes is as sharp as an eye-gouging needle and every frame that Dillon draws is just really great.
I don't feel I need to say anything else, except, if you have any interest at all in graphic novels and haven't yet read Preacher, do yourself a favour and pick up this first instalment now. It doesn't matter if the idea of the story doesn't really appeal to you (It didn't really appeal to me when I first heard about it) - Just trust me. You'll have a blast.

5.0 out of 5 stars My love of Garth Ennis' work started here, 10 May 2004
Zagnorch (Terra, Sol System) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Although I rather enjoyed the occasional issue of ‘Preacher’ that I’d flip through at the local comic shop, I never really got into collecting the series. Then I discovered the first trade paperback, and took a closer look at this legendary funnybook tale of a former Texas minister, his girlfriend, and their mysterious Irish vampire sidekick on their mission to find God. And I must say, I’ve got to go along with what many of the critics and fellow fans have said about it (well, the state-side ones, anyway). It truly is an amazing hybrid of road movie, western, & horror flick, with a bit of modern Biblical epic, and some cop drama & murder-mystery/suspense as well (in this particular volume, anyway). This four-color epic hits on practically every movie genre you can think of short of sci-fi! Well, without it being a movie, anyway. Of course, from the rumors running through the grapevine of comic-book geekdom, ‘Preacher’ may soon be hitting the celluloid as hard as it did the bristol board!
Although writer Garth Ennis was no stranger to conceptualizing some of comics’ darkest and most disturbing, yet unbelievably hilarious moments before he started this saga, ‘Preacher’ was the book cemented his reputation for these things. With the help of Steve Dillon’s renderings, Ennis proves himself the master of the kinda blood & guts that’d make the likes of Paul Verhoeven & Quentin Tarantino queasy, yet mixed with an amazingly dark & sick sense of humor that helps… um… lighten the tone a bit. His rep for creating some of the freakiest and whacked-out supporting characters also began here, with the introduction of Arse-Face, the hideously disfigured teenage son of an overbearing podunk town sheriff. Another great character intro’d here is the Saint of Killers, an indestructible, immortal killing machine, sent by God’s angels to deal with the reverend and his Deity-seeking quest. You can see more of his weirder & deadlier side characters in ‘Hitman’, ‘The Rifle Brigade’, and ‘The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank’, all of which I recommend as well.
There’s a whole lot more I could say about this ‘Preacher Vol. 1: Gone To Texas’, but I think you get the idea. And besides, I don’t want to give too much of the story away. If what I’ve written above has swayed you, feel free to check it out!
‘Late

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of something great, 21 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Collecting the first 7 issues of Preacher, probably the greatest comicstory ever next to Neil Gaimans Sandman, this one is a must-read for every self-respecting comic-reader who isn't stuck on superhero comics alone. What happens when a person gets possessed by a creature that came to birth from the forbidden lobe between a demon from Hell and an angel from Heaven. Follow Jesse as he goes on his way to confront a God who abandoned heaven with his responsibilities. This series is SF, western, action, humor, oneliners and bizarre storylines all in one put together by the great writer that is Garth Ennis (Punisher, Hitman, Hellblazer). This trade is a very welcome intro to the world of Preacher and has you meet the mainplayers Tullip, Cassidy and Jesse Custer

5.0 out of 5 stars Comic Writing and artwork at it's best, 11 May 2001
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
If you are looking for a cutting edge, dark humoured comic book, this is the one. With artwork that draws you into a whole new world and a storyline with humourous twists and turns, you will find yourself becoming a fan of Preacher immediately. A definate must for any Comic Book fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent start to an amazing series., 26 Sep 2000
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Although I've never quite been able to figure out where and when the first page takes place, you can tell after reading the ingenious joke on that page whether or not you will like the series. If you can stomach this book you're in for a treat with the other nine or so (I can't say exactly because I've only got the 1st two and after that the original monthly issues these books reprint). With the last issue released last month, finishing this epic western, I'm going to have to revisit this book and the whole series. From what I can remember, this is the most over the top of the series, with Garth Ennis writing to pi$$ his editor off as much as anything else, this is still great and begins the story in stlye, setting the tone for the 1st half of the series perfectly. From grusome hilarity to the just plain grusome, this lays the groundwork and plants some of the questions that won't be answered until the very end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Preacher is cool!, 25 Feb 1999
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Preacher is a cool comic book series, one of the absolute best of the 90'ies. If you like intelligent, well told and violent modern movies like Pulp Fiction or Face/Off you're gonna love this stuff. The books should be read in their correct order, which is:
1) Gone To Texas 2) Until the End of the World 3) Proud Americans 4) Ancient History 5) Dixie Fried 6) War in the Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Preacher is a screecher, 12 April 2005
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Right from the word go this book captivated me in a way that no other has done before. The characters, though witty and likeable, are a dark and sinister bunch and make this book a must for any comic or graphic novel fans. The art is incredible and the story never fails to bore or let-down. If you don't have this, then make it top priority that you get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best comic series I have ever read, 17 May 2003
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Although the central story of Preacher is something about demon/angel posession and a vendetta against God, most of the series' time is spent on a multitude of subplots and happy meanderings through insanity, perversion and numerous moments of ultra-violence as three of the most damn likeable lead characters you'll ever meet, wander around America encountering all kinds of weirdos and freaks, each with a twisted tale to tell. Every line that Ennis writes is as sharp as an eye-gouging needle and every frame that Dillon draws is...you know...just really freaking great.
I don't really need to say anything else, except, if you have any interest at all in graphic novels and haven't yet read Preacher, do yourself a favour and pick up this first instalment now. It doesn't matter if the idea of the story doesn't really catch your attention (It didn't really appeal to me when I first heard about it) - Just trust me. You'll have a blast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read - twisted though - not for the faint hearted, 31 May 2001
This review is from: Preacher: Gone to Texas (Paperback)
Very very dark - but appealing. The trick used is to make the lesser characters so bizzare and sometimes disgusting, that you don't care what happens to them - however vile that may be.
It has everything - love, religion, occult, murder and more twists and turns than the labrynth of the Minataur.
Read if you dare.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Preacher: Gone to Texas
Preacher: Gone to Texas by Garth Ennis (Paperback - 26 April 1996)
Used & New from: £2.43