on 16 September 2000
I think the catch line "The inspiration of a whole generation of artists..." (which is from a commercial promoting these books) is right on the mark.
The difference from this book and the 'Hope' and 'Jedi' books, is that the script isn't included in this one, so you feel that you get more for your money. And also, at least in my mind, Empire offers more interesting environments and imperial machinery than the two other original films, just take Cloud City as an example.
The last 16 pages of the book are solely based off of the work made for the special editions, showing some of the work that went into the hoth monster scene and the cloud city scenes.
Altogether I love this book, I often use it as an inspirational source in my own work, and I strongly suggest it for anyone who's even remotely interested in Star Wars artwork. A lot of the pictures and sections have been commented, giving a rich look into how the people behind the movie went about their business (pun intended :)
May the force be with you... always
on 25 July 1998
I have purchased all three of these special edition books. I think they are all wonderful. The only irritating thing is that the "A New Hope" volume, and the "Return Of The Jedi" volume have the script included. THIS VOLUME DOES NOT!?! That's just dumb. This volume is chock full of pages with pictures, their captions, and vast blank white space areas that could have been filled with the script - like the other two books in the set.
Oh well. For what the book does offer it is still great. I'd trade it in gladly for a version that included the script.
on 10 July 2010
I was very satisfied with the product. Art arrived on time and in good condition .. thanks
on 29 July 1999
I don't think it matters much in this book whether the script is there, because it still has tons of great drawings, etc. that will be very interesting to a Star Wars fan. Besides the lack of script will be a nice excuse to buy the Anotated Screenplays, which is also VERY interesting.
on 10 September 1998
Like I said, cool book, but I was disappointed that there was no script... the other 2 books had it, why not this one?