5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Sandman graphic novels there is.
Published on 10 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but...
Published on 11 Dec 2000 by mr-sprout

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Sandman graphic novels there is., 10 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sandman: Fables and Reflections (Sandman library) (Paperback)
How not to love Neil Gaiman's Sandman, I simply do not know. In this collection of some of the short stories of the series, we are taken to Paris, to Greece, to Rome, to Baghdad. Stories are told, deals are made, challenges met, lives lost and life gained in these tales. I simply loved them, and anyone who loves Sandman must read them. Especially since the story of Morpheus son, the singer Orpheus, can be found here. A must read!!! (And I am very serious about that!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Vol. 6: My favourite of the Sandman series so far., 10 Feb 2012
At times I have nearly given up on the Sandman series, despite the rave critical reviews and the genius tags imputed to Neil Gaiman. But this is the volume where all the raves are justified. There is nothing of the random nightmare scenarios that I didn't enjoy as much earlier in the series, there aren't the `adult' discourses - rather it is a sometimes-straightforward but often original retelling of the myths, histories and fables we grew up with, and if we didn't then this is a good place to remedy the shortage; and some new ones altogether.

"Fear of Falling" makes a succinct and non-didactic case of keeping on going when fear tells you to stop. "Three Septembers and a January" tells the tale of the first and last emperor of the USA - a character and story I had never encountered before, but which Mark Twain and Robert Louis Stevenson have written about - about a likeable fellow named Joshua Norton. The lashings of the Eternal in the story makes this Neil Gaiman's own. I like the way Death at the end says to Mr. Norton, "I've met a lot of kings and emperors and heads of state in my time, Joshua. I've met them all. And you know something? I think I liked you the best." So did I.

In "Thermidor" Neil Gaiman creates a Lady Johanna Constantine to weave in the story of the French Revolution and the story of Orpheus from Greek fable. It is so interesting that I thought that the character may have been real, with a fairy-tale element added to it as Mr. Gaiman so often does. One of my favourite was "The Hunt" and I was as rapt as when I used to read fairy tales and myths as a child. I waited for the punishment of Vassily for turning his back on his father, for trusting the old gypsy and for daring to love a princess. That my assumptions were turned on their head left me fascinated.

"August" was disturbing and I couldn't find any verification of the acts ascribed to Julius Caesar. "Soft Places" - where in the deserts one dreams or goes into deliriums - is a good way of invoking why the Lord of Dream, Morpheus, comes to be. It is more creation of fable rather than rehashing.

"The Song of Orpheus" was too much of a retelling without much originality, however, it did set me on the path to read the myth. "The Parliament of Rooks" was fascinating - all the amazing detail! "Ramadan" was in my view a little didactic. The excesses of Baghdad could not fail to be punished. I am surprised that Mr. Gaiman wrote it in his current climate of writing it - and bravo! Very fun book to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, but..., 11 Dec 2000
This is a collection of single issue stories from the Sandman series, and they are all very good. There's a the story of a female werewolf, a member of the Ceaser family in Rome, the story if the King of America (I think) that cleverly ties in with later events, as well as the story of how Orpheus ended up on a window ledge in a monestary. Also included is the Orpheus special, sadly lacking the glow-in-the-dark cover. So, I don't have a problem with the stories. What I do have a problem with is the collection itself. These stories were fillers between major arcs, and as such should really have been included in either the collection they ended, or the one they began. This is because some of them take place 'in continuity', as well as the fact that they are jumbled around in this edition, rather than appearing in chronological order. It seems that DC was holding back printing these as a collection so that they could put out another Sandman book and make more money instead of putting them where they should be in the epic sequence of events that make up the Sandman series. By all means buy it, it is good, but read it as the Sandman series was meant to be read... look up the issue numbers of these short stories, as well as some of those in the other books and read them in sequence. It might be awkward, but it is more worthwhile if you are intending to read the series as a whole.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feedback, 28 Dec 2012
Great product. Love it. Believe I have received value for my money. Great work amazon. Very pleased with the purchase. Would definitely recommend this to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandman, 9 Feb 2012
Bought for my partner who loves Neil gamen. Thought I would give this series a try and he hasn't be able to put I down. He reccomends this for Anyone tha usually likes Neil gamens stuff. Easy to read lots in one go or to just pick up for a few pages at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Oct 2014
Mrs. J. Gietzen (London, UK) - See all my reviews
All sandman get 5 stars in my book.

The Sandman: Fables and Reflections (Sandman library)
The Sandman: Fables and Reflections (Sandman library) by Bryan Talbot (Paperback - 20 Jan 1994)
Used & New from: £4.87