5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine the expressions and you'll split your sides
Plot in brief: The crew of the Enterprise and a Klingon Battlecruiser engage in a diplomatic struggle to win the right to mine a planet's vast dilithium deposits. However, when they beam down to the planet, it quickly becomes clear that something really, really weird is going on with the population...
This is an excellent piece of comic writing, and a completely...
Published on 1 Feb. 2004 by Ruth Ludlam

2.0 out of 5 stars to each his own..
It has taken me 5 months to get half way through this.I'm therefore writing as someone who hasn't read to the end.
If there is one thing I hate,it is not reading a book that I have started.
I have,however, managed to read a lot of other books since I laid this one down the last time.
It was bought based on the glowing reviews that I have read,but I'm sorry...
Published on 11 Feb. 2012 by rusty buckets

5.0 out of 5 stars Imagine the expressions and you'll split your sides, 1 Feb. 2004
Ruth Ludlam "princess_zelda" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek) (Paperback)
This is an excellent piece of comic writing, and a completely unique part of the Star Trek universe. If you are in the least bit a fan of the original series of Star Trek, you can't afford not to read this. I found that it chases away the blues very effectively. It is a shame that John Ford did not apply his comic talents to writing more Trek novels. However, as a stand-alone book it is still a piece of consummate genius.
Unfortunately, the humour is almost completely for fans only; although the plot is ingenious and the dialogue highly witty, the funniest aspect of the book is the way the characters interact and react. This is based heavily around the way they were portrayed on television by the original series actors, and you have to be able to imagine how funny all your favourite characters would look when under the absurd conditions the book puts them in. Oh yes, I should warn you that the plot is completely insane and improbable, but therein lies the source of its greatest humour. You see, none of the Star Trek characters in the book can believe what is happening to them either. So a great deal of the humour is left to you to see in Kirk's expressions when the situation just gets progressively sillier and sillier, or in the way the characters react to each other as they become increasingly convinced that they need psychiatric help.
But having said my word of warning, if you are a Star Trek fan this is in my humble opinion the best Trek novel around. And it is based on an excellent premise, a little similar to that of the musical Buffy episode, only the wit is drier and the plot twist is inspired. It has absolutely no plot links with the rest of the Trek universe, and therefore can stand entirely on its own if you haven't read any others. Instead it transposes the characters into this inspired storyline and throws in a bunch of Klingons for good measure. And it will have you laughing until you weep.
I particularly like Ford's sense of humour. I feel that it fits in well with the spirit of the original series, and even slightly pokes fun at the cheesy jokes that you used to get at the end of the episode. Believe me, this will not spoil your enjoyment of Trek by making people behave out-of-character, or just poking fun at them so much that they loose all dignity. In fact, Ford has got the characters exactly right, and a great part of my enjoyment of this novel came from recognising the old favourites I knew and loved in a portrayal that was entirely true to the good old days of classic Trek.
This is a truly unique Trek novel and an absolute classic. Buy it, borrow it, steal it, I don't care - you have to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious! You'll want to read it again and again!, 11 April 2002
What can I say? This book has it all; the mad, milkshake obsessed computer, the ever so slightly crazed Klingons, the new and highly strange culture, and, ofcourse, all your favourite Star Trek characters! This book will have you laughing out loud...and you'll probably be addicted to it. I had to buy a new copy...my old one fell apart because I read it so often. It is possibly the best Star Trek based book I have read in a VERY long time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Spock almost smiles in this one, 14 Feb. 2005
What can you say about a story that successfully blends dilithium prospecting, peppermint milk-shake, inflatable starships, Gilbert & Sullivan, and a classic bedroom farce, with all the usual Star Trek characters and a few entertaining new ones?
Like a good sitcom, the underlying plot is essentially serious: a Federation ship discovers a planet with a large dilithium deposit, but the claim is jumped by the Klingons; meanwhile, the planet's inhabitants are none too happy that both sides are ignoring their side of the issue.
Very funny; the only reason I don't give it five stars is that the events leading to the final "fight" are a bit forced; up until that point, the characters stagger from one absurd situation to the next under their own volition.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Here's lookin' at you kid!", 3 Feb. 2008
TK-1308 - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek) (Paperback)
Titan continue their line of novels based upon the original Star Trek series with #5 How Much For Just The Planet? by John M. Ford.
With the exception of the infamous The Trouble With Tribbles, classic Star Trek has never done out-and-out comedy but this book throws caution to the wind and shows you just how surreal you can make the Trek universe.
This novel reads like Trek meets Gilbert And Sullivan and there are even songs to boot, for those that know their show and theme songs. You'll know this when you realise that your singing along with the story!
The plot centres around the planet Direidi, a world so rich in natural crystalline dilithium that it would make a valuable asset to the Federation - or the Klingon Empire. The area is mapped by a survey vessel which itself is cornered by a Klingon battle cruiser under the command of Captain Kaden vestai-Operai. It's down to a good old-fashioned case of claim jumping until the survey ship manages to summon help from the Enterprise. The problem is both sides cannot engage in any hostile action, lest the Organians intervene, so they have to play nice.
Both crews are welcomed to the planet by the natives who seem rather odd and somewhat obsessed with the past and old-time Earth. As each side tries to negotiate, they all find themselves working together against the lunatic population in the most surreal and comical ways.
Inserted into the story are a couple of brilliantly written asides which link in like "Dilithium And You!" and the statistics on the Organian Treaty details.
Ford has an obvious passion for old cinema and musicals and this shows with humorous songs from certain characters and bizarre interludes across the city. Both the Enterprise crew and the Klingons are written very well, with Ford blending them together in unusual pairings for parts of the adventure.
So take a musical, throw in three parts classic cinema, classic Trek, a healthy portion of humour, a computer with a paranoid delusional complex and an obsession with pink milkshake, mix well and out comes How Much For Just The Planet?
A great novel and one of the best and most humorous takes on the Trek universe yet!

2.0 out of 5 stars to each his own.., 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek) (Paperback)
If there is one thing I hate,it is not reading a book that I have started.
It was bought based on the glowing reviews that I have read,but I'm sorry folks ,I just don't get it.
For me it just doesn't feel like Trek.
I intend to finish it,but it will no doubt take several more months.
In short, I am not enjoying it.
I don't for a second suggest you don't give it a go,or that it is poorly written and/or drivel,but I'll stick with Jim Blish when I feel the need to read a ST novel.
Before my next attempt on the summit ,I going to try Christopher Bennets' 'Ex Machina'.
PS TOS Klingons didn't have heads like Cornish Pasties.I like my Klingons John Colicos/William Campbell shaped.

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to see this made into a film!, 18 Oct. 2014
Amazon Customer (Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a unique piece of Trek fiction. If you love Star Trek you will love this biook. If you hate Star Trek you will love this book.

How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek)
How Much for Just the Planet? (Star Trek) by John M. Ford (Paperback - Oct. 1987)
Used & New from: £0.01