4.0 out of 5 stars A challenge to what we thought we knew about the Great War
Published on 15 Feb 2006 by G A Goldstone

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and poorly researched
Published on 30 Nov 2007 by Vittorio Caffè

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenge to what we thought we knew about the Great War, 15 Feb 2006
G A Goldstone (Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is not really about the Great War as such, although the author is authoritative on that subject when necessary. Rather, it is about the way the war has been remembered, and the way myths have been created which most people do not realise are myths. Todman takes us through the books and poems, the films and songs, the images, the memorials and the Armistice Day services, and discusses the impressions they have left us. There is a lot of comment on British social history and attitudes throughout the last century - much of it astute and wryly humourous. I was fascinated by the comments on the things that have influenced me - (I was born in 1946) - books by AJP Taylor and Alan Clark, 'Oh What A Lovely War', the BBC's 'Great War', Wilfred Owen, 'Birdsong', 'Blackadder Goes Forth', visiting the war cemeteries. With all of these, Todman enlightens us on how and why these images and versions of the war were produced, and what effect they had. There is a wealth of interesting detail and anecdote.
As a schoolteacher, I was particularly interested in the discussion of the way the teaching of the war poets in countless English lessons (by people who are not trained historians) has helped produce a set of assumptions about the war which are at least debatable. The whole book is a really useful commentary on how all history is created.
Reading the book, I have been constantly and delightedly reminded of things in my own cultural background whose significance I had never really considered. So, I found it stimulating and challenging.
My only complaints are that there are more typos than one would have expected, and that the author's knowledge of the titles of pop records in 1968 is not secure, if my memory serves me right. Maybe I am wrong, but I was there. In other respects, Todman has made me much more aware of where I have been and of the influences on me. It is a very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Great War: Myth and Memory, 16 Oct 2007
This review is from: The Great War: Myth and Memory (Paperback)
It is good news for all those interested in the Great War that `Hambledon Continuum' have republished Dan Todman's book, `The Great War - Myth and Memory'.

He provides the reader with an insight into how history can be manipulated by individuals, groups and society as a whole. He explains how the Great War myths were formulated. In order to do this he breaks the war down into seven distinct areas; Mud, Death, Donkeys, Futility, Poets, Veterans and Modern Memory.

Each topic is examined in an interest and analytical manner. He refers the reader to many of the books that have lead to the much vaunted view of `Butchers and Bunglers'.

I personally had my original views of the Great War formulated by the writings of books by AJP Taylor and Alan Clark, the war poets such as Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, along with the television serial, 'Blackadder Goes Forth'. Dan Todman enlightens the reader as to how and why these images and versions of the war were produced, and what effect they on society as a whole.

Professor Peter Simkins rates Dan Todman's book as being one that should be read by all those who have an interest in the Great War. It is a good book which certainly `debunks' many of the well held and factually wrong views of the war.

I would recommend it whole heartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A balanced account, 19 Feb 2006
By A Customer
If you grew up having to recite Great War poetry in school, whilst being expected to empathise with Owen and Sassoon and their 'true' representation of war in the trenches; or if you believe (but don't really know why) that Haig was donkey-in-chief of the British army and that the war was futile, then this book will tell you why.
It is an excellent account of how popular understanding of the war developed from the stunned numbness in the face of catastrophic loss, well reflected in the poetry, that people felt at the time, to the modern ingrained assumption of a 'futile' or 'unnecessary' war.
It is easy to read, well referenced, historically accurate and well balanced. Which is to say the author does not attempt to completely debunk the 'myths' (often the aim of revision) but exposes what underpins them, leaving the reader with a more sympathetic view of the motives and actions of those who participated in the Great War.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide-ranging and knowledgeable, 19 Jan 2007
Peter Grant (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great War: Myth and Memory (Paperback)
Dan Todman's book provides a further insight into the social and cultural history of the Great War to offset the 'futile slaughter' view still held by so many people. He is particularly good on tracing the development of deeply held myths and covers a wide range of topics. My only reservation about a fine analysis is that to my mind he plays down the key importance of the 1960s in shaping these myths. It is true that not all came to prominence in the 60s but the continuing misrepresentation of the Great War is highly dependent upon those whose ideas were shaped in that decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Debunking the myths that have grown up around the First World War, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The Great War: Myth and Memory (Paperback)
Vital reading if you are to arm yourself with a smart response rather then falling back on the myths.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and poorly researched, 30 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Great War: Myth and Memory (Paperback)
I bought this book after having read the enthusiastic comments of previous readers but I have to say I was quite disappointed. The book promises a revolution in the interpretation of the Great War from the point of view of military history and cultural history, but does it manage to achieve that? I reckon it doesn't, as it has left too many things out of the picture, that is, those things that do not fit the author's thesis. For example, Todman strongly absolvitory idea that there is no relation between the rise of Nazism and the end of W.W.I is totally questionable. Surely he manages to sound persuasive because he leaves Fascism out of the picture, by the way ignoring all the researches carried out by important Italian historians like Mario Isnenghi and Giorgio Rochat, who have thoroughly analysed how W.W.I paved the way to Fascism (a political movement whish was mostly led by war veterans, like Mussolini and Italo Balbo, and which in turn strongly influenced Adolph Hitler--another Great War veteran). His exploration of the negative myth of the Great War is not complete, not at all, because he seems to suggest that it's the British war poets who created the negative image of the war, while, had he bothered to read e.g. A.D. Harvey's Muse of Fire, he might have understood that it's an international phenomenon, and that there are dozens of books which depict the great war as the hell it was--sure, if you stick to a parochial point of view which only takes into account British authors you may think that only a few malcontents complained about the war, but if you read also Dorgeles, Lussu, Hemingway, Renn, Remarque, O'Flaherty, Dos Passos, cummings, Kraus and many others you may see things differently (and I am mentioning the literary authors, to whom one should add dozens of diaries, memorials, etc.). Then the issue of how the commanders were judged by subsequent historians is oddly incomplete: no mention of such a key essay like Tim Travers' The Killing Ground, no mention of the fundamental essays by John Keegan. So I see no reason to extol this book, whose intentions may have been good (e.g. I do believe that a totally negative picture of the life led by soldiers in the treches is not totally acceptable, and other classics of war literature might be mentioned, such as Ernst Juenger or Blaise Cendrars), but whose achievemnets are limited and whose overall thesis ("the war wasn't that bad") is still disputable. Then, I absolutely disapprove of another smug argument that Todman seems to like so much, that is, what might be summarized as "we won the war, so what's all this fuss?" It seems that he ignores the story of Pyrrhus' victory--which, for a historian, is unforgivable.

The Great War: Myth and Memory
The Great War: Myth and Memory by Dan Todman (Paperback - 1 Jan 2006)