Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2011
This is not a book to take on the hill. It's too large and the format would be too fragile. But as a book to inspire you at home it's excellent. The routes are all sensible - I've done nearly all of them already - but by no means exhaustive. The maps used are Harvey maps with the route shown as a red dashed line, though it's a pity you have to look hard to find the direction arrows. Each route starts with a panel giving basic information. What I also find very useful are the 3D sketches of the route. The photographs too are excellent, though perhaps a few more taken in winter would be interesting. But I guess most users will be walking on warmer, snow free days. As a coffee table book to give you ideas for a great day on the hills I can thoroughly recommend it.
on 30 December 2010
Got this for Christmas and I am very pleased with it. We already have a couple of walking books on Snowdonia but this one is by far the best yet. the walks are described and marked extremely clearly with snippets if history thrown in as well. the photographs which feature in the book are so inspiring that you want to go there and start walking straight away.
This is a beautiful guidebook. It is well written, accurate and well photographed. It takes advantage of modern production standards and digital mapping techniques. It covers Snowdonia from the North Wales coast down to Cadair Idris and the Tarrens. Its selection of walks is well chosen.

If you are going walking in Snowdonia you will enjoy this book both at the planning stage and for reminiscing afterwards. Highly recommended.
on 17 April 2015
This is a fantastic book, really inspiring for planning a day out hiking, lots of routes I hadn't heard of and options to make your day as long as you like. Many people report this is too big for the rucksack but I wouldn't take this with me out on the mountain anyway! We use all these guides for planning our trips the night before and to get inspiration for new routes. We find the best approach is to use these books to get ideas of interesting hikes then mark out the route on the appropriate OS map (definitely don't attempt any of these without one!). We often take photos on our phones of the pages of the book if we feel we need some extra directions.

This is definitely not a casual hiking guide, lots of very challenging and technical routes and long days. There are some short hikes (3-4 hours) but this is definitely not a casual walking book, most of these routes are proper mountain days (as the book says!). My husband and I are experienced hikers and also climbers, in our early 30s, reasonably fit and find many of these routes challenging and the total hiking times we nearly always find an underestimate.

Many of the routes involve some scrambling, the most recent route we did was the Gliders via Bristley Ridge, the book says 'Technically it ranks as a scrambling route, but one on which the most timid are likely to find anything to test their nerve. There are no insurmountable difficulties...' to me this does not sound daunting but in fact the scrambling is quite tricky in places, can feel very exposed near the top of the scramble, and depending on your ascent of the ridge it can quickly get up to grade 2, if you don't scramble this can be very hard (especially with sheer drops each side!), and nothing to scoff at. This was not a problem for us and we really enjoyed it but can imagine many people would come unstuck, the route is not obvious at all definitely not for a beginner. For this I have given the book 4 stars not 5. We find these throughout these guides, great but in many cases the difficultly underestimated.
on 4 September 2012
The book is Clear and a very good read. The routes will suit a wide spectrum of people of all levels of fitness . I would recommend this product having been recommended thd book by my walking companion.
on 15 June 2014
We bought this book as we wanted some longer walks now we no longer need to drag 2 small children along with us, and this book certainly met our needs. The description of each walk by distance, height gain, time and grade were accurate. I loved the 3d sketch maps of the routes and the detailed maps were invaluable. In the last two weeks we completed walks 5, 11, 16, 17, 19, 23, 24, 25 and 26. Walk 6 would have been next but we had to come home! We thoroughly enjoyed every one of the walks. The walk directions were clear and the description of the conditions was accurate. I admit there were just a couple of times when we lost the path, but we always managed to find it again thanks to all the information given within each walk. The walks we did took us away from the crowds of people climbing Snowdon. We did these walks in June and barely saw any other people all day.
The book has many beautiful photographs and is a joy to peruse in the comfort of home. It is a little big for carrying on the walks but there are ways of getting around this (are you allowed to photocopy pages if it is for your own use?)
I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to go on walks that lasted all day.
on 13 February 2013
A really nice book well presented with lots of information about different routes etc and their severity,can,t wait to get out there and try some.
The book arrived quickly and well packaged as usual from Amazon so overall I,m extreamly pleased.
on 23 December 2015
A lovely book - well laid out with beautiful photography and clear route mapping - and with one of those, technically "paperback", covers that is of the folded back stiff type so that you don't miss that it's not a hardback - highly recommended!
on 20 December 2014
Careful with this one. Probably not the best idea to go up there armed with this book and a pair of trainers as it can lull you into a false sense of security. Probably better to take someone whose judgement you trust in a sticky situation ( and this book) with you instead! Good luck!
on 28 April 2013
Clear guide book with clear instructions photos etc .Gives you lists of grid references for way points ,handy if you use GPS or just as handy if you do it old fashioned way like myself