4.0 out of 5 stars indispensible
This is a remarkable book and nobody can really contemplate walking this route without it. The book is durable, concise and mostly accurately written. Be sure to buy the current edition.

I have given it four stars, because it is not perfect:
Published on 15 Nov. 2010 by JerryW

Published on 20 Jun. 2013 by Mr. Richard Everard

4.0 out of 5 stars indispensible, 15 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Pyrenean Haute Route: High-Level Trail through The Pyrenees (Paperback)

I have given it four stars, because it is not perfect:
- it has either been written or edited down to the absolute minimum number of words possible, and in some places the clarity suffers. Directions frequently omit useful phrases such as for example: "10 km further on" thus leaving you with the erroneous idea you are to turn left and then immediately, or soon, right..
- like all Cicerone books it is quite heavy for its size at 415g.
- it has at least one *extremely dangerous* bit on p78 where you are told to leave the ridge leading to pic d'orhy on your left whereas you *must* leave it on your right, ie descend to the left side of the ridge. The right side is impassable. There is a plaque there to a walker who fell and died, hopefully not clutching a copy of this guide.. I wrote and told cicerone but got no acknowledgment.
- I found Joosten slightly intimidating in that he is evidently superbly fit, can walk fast all day and uses adjectives like "interesting" where I would use "challenging," and "challenging" where I would write "bloody dangerous" - so I never went on those parts of the route he describes as "dangerous!"

Otherwise though this book is really good and as I say, pretty much indispensible. If your French is good, buy Veron's guide as well, and compare the two before you go. Mine is not quite that good!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pyrenean Haute Route: High-Level Trail through The Pyrenees - Kindle Version, 20 Jun. 2013
I bought the paper back version of this book some time ago which I have found invaluable for planning of my forthcoming walk on the HRP. I endorse what JerryW says and there are other places where the translation from Ton Joosten's Dutch to English means that he says leave something to your left when he means right. However, my comments relate specifically to the very recently published kindle version. Since I intend to carry a kindle to provide reading matter on my walk, it would seem sensible to reduce the weight that I have to carry by leaving the paperback copy (weighing some 380 gms - more than my Paclite Anarak)behind and use the kindle version of the guide. So far I have no problems with the text which seems to be the same as the original BUT the reproduction of the maps is atrocious as you ca hardly see the route and can't read the words without a magnifying glass and good light. Similarly the table in Appendix 3 listing the facilities on route is equally unreadable. I have noticed the same poor quality in illustrated books that I have downloaded but these books were free which this guide is not. I believe that many other people have commented on the poor quality of images on Kindles. Amazon need to do something to improve this as otherwise, I for one will be moving to a different format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great writing but don't know who is meant to walk ..., 15 April 2015
Ms. B. Barnes - See all my reviews
Great writing but don't know who is meant to walk the distances mentioned with heavy packs and a sudden heat wave , having said that we are all different and after altering the spread we got on fine. A book we needed for the rout.Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 21 Jan. 2014
wonderful book a joy of a walk we had an amazing adventure last summer want to do it all again

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 24 Oct. 2014
Excellent and clear description. Want to go...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Mar. 2015
good

Pyrenean Haute Route: High-Level Trail through The Pyrenees
Pyrenean Haute Route: High-Level Trail through The Pyrenees by Ton Joosten (Paperback - 7 April 2009)