5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, interesting inspiring
Even as I was buying this book, I was thinking that it was an impulse buy which I'd never actually use. I was very wrong. It is an excellent book. I often lie in bed at night dipping into it, thinking about what I might cook on my next camping trip. So...

Published on 13 April 2009 by P. G. Harris

1.0 out of 5 stars Moveable Feasts
what I wanted was some ideas for camping cooking - we have 17 of us going this year - what I got was nutritional information and a biology lesson!

Not what I was expecting!
Published on 5 July 2010 by theresa

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, interesting inspiring, 13 April 2009
P. G. Harris - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Moveable Feasts: What to eat and how to cook it in the great outdoors (Paperback)

Useful. It is packed with practical advice abouit all aspects of outdoor eating, the nutritional values of different foods, the equipment to take and of course the delicious recipes. I particulraly like the lists, for example the lists of equipment to take, and the lists of baic ingredients to have on hand.

Interesting. Pros and cons of different stoves. Energy consumption during different types of exercise. The book is packed with enough facts to keep all but the most extreme nerds fascinated.

Inspiring. No more will I just rely on tins of beans with vegetarian suasages or packets of soup. As well as improving my outdoor diet it'll inspire me to camp more.

To sum up, if you do any form of outdoor activity which includes camping and eating, this is a very highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a recipe book, 12 July 2009
D Harrison (West Midlands) - See all my reviews
I borrowed this and several similar books from the library to decide which was the best before purchasing it.

This book is fascinating... presents biology in an interesting and practical way... finally making sense of all those biology classes at school! It presents energy requirements, healthy eating etc in an easy to understand and relevant way, before giving advice on choosing stoves and the basic items that should be in every camp kitchen and store cupboard.

Finally the recipe section covers everything from 'Cowboy Feast' to nutroast to banoffee pie.

I know I will get so much use from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great combination of nutritional info and useful recipes., 15 Dec. 2009
L. Davies "FlowFree" (Llanrwst, North Wales) - See all my reviews
I love this book as it provides loads of useful information about nutrition and the amount of and types of food required to meet the energy requirements of the various outdoor sports I do. It then goes on to recommend tasty recipes which has really opened my eyes to what is possible on my camping stove! I am often abroad for weeks or even months at a time, living out of a van with a two ring gas stove and after a while pasta and veg becomes pretty boring, so I'll definitely be taking this book with me next time!

5.0 out of 5 stars yum yum best flapjacks ever, 12 Aug. 2010
The only way this book could be improved is the addition of spiral binding!

The section on cooking at altitude is extremely useful and interesting. I am planning an expotition at high altiutde in the next few months and this will help me not be frustrated at things not seeming to cook properly - and perhaps explains my poor experiences of beanfeasts in the past.

As well as a multitude of scrummy recipes for a range of camping situations, it was really interesting to learn about the science of nutrition. It never occurred to me that I could dehydrate my own food at home. I am delighted to be introduced to this concept and look forward to many happy evenings sucking moisture away.

Great recipes, great info, great pics - buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, good advice, wish I'd bought it sooner., 11 Aug. 2010
I've had this book on my wishlist for ages. I finally bought it for myself and have found it to be well written, easy to follow and full of good advice. I've not yet had a chance to try the recipes that fill the second half of the book yet, but reading them makes me eager to go camping. If you've bought the cool camping cookbook and been disappointed like I was at the impractical recipes then you should be impressed at the huge number of well categorised, practical recipes chosen with people interested in outdoors pursuits in mind. Having said that I'm certain it would cater adequately for people more interested in a relaxing camping holiday.

Brilliant book, very impressed, makes me enthusiastic to test the advice within.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all outdoor enthusiasts packed with nutritional information and practical tips and recipes on outdoor cooking, 3 Nov. 2008
C. L. Parkin "CP" (UK) - See all my reviews
This first half includes practical nutritional information, in particular focusing on the nutrition needs of active outdoor people. Amongst other things it includes information on how to pick the right foods to meet the energy needs of whatever outdoor activity you take part in, how to avoid waterborne disease and the equipment you need to transport and cook your food safely.

The second half includes easy to follow and practical recipes.

This book is about cooking and enjoying healthy, tasty and practical outdoor food. Whatever your favourite outdoor activity this book will help you to enjoy it even more. An ideal present for anyone who enjoys playing, eating and camping outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about cooking on the move, 13 Jun. 2011
This book was better than I'd hoped. It covers every aspect of cooking outdoors that I could think of, equipement, nutrition, safety, variety, food types, storage/transport, quick snacks and sumptious feasts.... Everything I needed to know. Plus copious photos relating to every aspect of enjoying food outdoors. My congratulations to the author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Moveable Feasts, 27 May 2011
This is also just as much a book about nutrition than just an outdoor recipe book. The first half of the book is purely about nutrition and and is very interesting and informative if you want to learn more on this subject, but be aware of that when you're buying this book. Don't think what you're buying is an outdoor cook book pure and simple, there's a lot more info in it than that which you may or may not want or need. There is also a quite useful section on types of stoves and fuels too.
I would also liked to have seen the lists of ingredients laid out in a more conventional recipe book style, but that's a small point. The recipes vary from very simple, to quite elaborate dishes, so take your pick.
Overall, well worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 27 Oct. 2013
When I got the book, had the opportunity to preview it extensively, and still went ahead and bought it.
Its great and discusses what it says in the title. There's an amount of discussion on food as energy and what different people (or circumstances) need as well as set up options prior to the 'feasts' themselves start. From then on, its sensible recipes with great tips. Mostly one pot meals as you'd expect for practicality reasons plus a couple of best-cooked-at-home like flapjacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a great idea!, 24 Nov. 2013
I got this book to show to the young people doing DofE with us that you dont need to eat pot noodle and that healthy and nutritious foods can be made using a humble stove in the wind and rain! I haven't done it yet, but I'm really looking forwards to making that toad in the hole! Looks amazing!

Moveable Feasts: What to eat and how to cook it in the great outdoors