on 29 June 2014
To place my guidance in context I am ex-Army and have walked extensively across UK, Europe, Africa and in the Himalayas, so I know how to follow a guide, read a map, use a compass and this is not the moan of inexperience.

We went to Crete for just a week and did 3 of the walks from this book. We may have been unlucky but all the trails were uninspiring slogs and very overgrown (close to impassable in places). I accept that vegetation grows up but the routes themselves lacked detail in their description and the features along the way were glossed over or missed entirely, in some cases to the extent that I question whether the author had ever walked them. The locals are not shy in erecting fences and barricades when it suits them or their livestock so be warned.

I am sure that there are some magnificent walks in the mountains of Crete and perhaps one day I will go back but not with this book. Strongly advise you to look at alternatives.
on 2 November 2010
-Another good title by Cicerone- great guide book packed with detailed information- used by treckers and mountain guides alike - this book is a must. I walk in the White Mountains each year- I know most of the routes across them thanks to this book.
on 21 September 2011
Read this guide prior to going to Crete, I'm a big fan of the Cicerone press and this guide was exactly what I needed. Lots of information, walks and history info.
on 12 December 2013
The days when I could have followed in Ms Wilson's footsteps through every route in this volume are, I fear long-gone so I bought this book for its nostalgic value.
The walks and trails I have undertaken in Crete since discovering the island's adventurous challenges at the age of almost 60 are well described, so I can only assume that the quality of information regarding the ones I would have liked to tackled before age and arthritis put a damper on my safety and confidence, are up to the same high standard. For the aging Armchair Mountaineer like myself the descriptions bring the countryside to life and the photograph in themselves are a joy.. Most of my lifelong hill-walking and climbing has been undertaken alone and this book would have sounded many a cautionary note of safety-first as well as tempting me into those magical high places.
It is robustly bound, printed on good-quality paper and is of a sensible pocket-size., which unfortunately means that it a little on the heavy side, but then, the British Climbers-Guides of the 50's and 60's were heavy, too, but essential reading, so one has to accepted that. No one wants a guidebook that falls apart in the rain just when it is most needed!.
This has all the feeling of an excellent guidebook to one of the Western world's lesser known mountain area's and used sensibly will take the competent hill-walker and scrambler into places that one could previously only hope to traverse safely with the help of a local guide, though no one should underestimate the difficulties imposed by navigation, weather and remoteness and turn away from the safety value that comes from having a live and experienced companion.
I am only sorry that this guidebook was not available to me 30 year ago; I could have gone to so many more of the places i have admired from afar among Crete's magical mountains and gorges.
As a footnote, I can only wonder at the skills and endurance of those who, in the past have lived and worked and, yes, even fought in less peaceful times, amongst these high and remote places.
A greatbook for the Armchair Mountaineer and the younger, fitter explorer alike. Just don;t under-estimate Crete's mountains, though, they are serious mountains, so follow Ms, Wilson excellent adviceon what you will need to travel in safety. Remember, you won't get anythin like the Snowdonia, or Scottish Mountain Rescue teams coming to your aid if anything goes wrong, because Crete does not work like that...
on 21 April 2013
I bought this book in preparation for a first visit to Crete on a guided walking holiday. The information on preparing for the holiday is first class. Getting to and about Crete is well covered as is shopping and accommodation. The General Information, Skills and Equipment Section provides invaluable information on matters such as weather, availability of water supplies, basic shelter, and types of path you can expect to find. Walking grades are categorised A to D along with anticipated walking times. I used the information to create a list of essentials to take with me including a 5 metre length of string to use with a camping dixie to get water from isolated wells. Should be well prepared for any emergency. The only disappointment is the quality of the maps which have only limited detail. The guide does recommend you purchase more detailed maps separately at £8 a time to cover the areas you are visiting.
on 17 April 2015
Very good, informative book, but quite heavy to carry with you to destination. Would be brilliant if split down into smaller regions for convenience of walkers.
on 24 June 2016
All long walks no circular ones. Very small writing. Hard to read. Lots of information not related to walks
on 12 April 2016
An excellent, well-written book with inspiring photographs. Will be trying some of the routes this summer.
on 18 September 2014
Brilliant guide, updated and extended, a really good useful guide from an experienced walker of Crete