5.0 out of 5 stars A good guide to effective skills for the outdoors
Before giving this book a five-star rating, I tried to find fault with it. I could not. It is just what I need.

Published on 1 May 2009 by D. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Cicerone GPS minigude
Bought this at the same time as the Landranger GPS guide, and although it is adequate (& cheap) it is really not a patch on the Landranger manual. OK as a supplement, but for a complete beginner like myself it would not have been sufficient on its own to give me a good basis for learning how to use my new Etrex properly.
Published on 12 Feb 2012 by johnevs

5.0 out of 5 stars A good guide to effective skills for the outdoors, 1 May 2009
D. Watson (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Navigating with a GPS: Getting the Best from Your GPS (Cicerone Mini-guides) (Paperback)

Clearly and precisely, with plenty of illustrations from Ordnance Survey maps, the book teaches the skills of navigating with a map and compass, including more advanced techniques such as aiming off and using back bearings, and then shows how a GPS can be used to make navigation more effective, whether or not you have a mapping receiver. If you do have one, a chapter on mapping software shows how your GPS can communicate with your computer. Finally, it teaches you how to get out of trouble -- even if your batteries go flat or the Americans switch the satellites off.

The book is small and light enough to fit into a rucksack and has a plastic cover which should help to protect it from the elements. It also comes with a bonus: a transparent plastic "navigation aid" on which is a compass rose, a couple of romer scales, and a list of things to do if your GPS fails .

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cicerone GPS minigude, 12 Feb 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 6 July 2010
Ted (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a companion to a Garmin Etrex H that I had just bought. It covers the essentials and also gives you the basics of compass navigation, which I found very intesting. It brought back memories of map reading lessons in O Level Geography!

The book is quite small in size, about 16x10cm, which was a bit of a let down for me. Although it will fit in a rucksack without any problems I would not give much for trying to read it by the light of a torch on a windswept hillside, especially with ageing eyes... The moral is read it and understand it - before you need it.

Ted

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, 28 Mar 2010
J. W. Rose (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great introduction for anyone (like me) who is unfamiliar with using a gps device. It also gives useful tips on map reading and navigational skills. It is very basic and very clear. It was just what I neeed to get me going with my gps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Dr. N. WOODRUFF (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Very easy to use and instructive

5.0 out of 5 stars informative, 6 Jun 2014
nice and easy to understand its a shame the device I brought was not [GARMIN DAKOTA 10 } thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars helpfull item, 16 July 2011
helpful item depending on how much you know already small price to pay for utilizing your gps device to the full

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 July 2014
M. Mc Grath "McG." (Ireland.) - See all my reviews
Excellent

Navigating with a GPS: Getting the Best from Your GPS (Cicerone Mini-guides)
6.79