5.0 out of 5 stars I actually used it
I bought the book in advance of a holiday in the Dordogne combining walks with visits to prehistoric sites in the region. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone planning something similar. I actually did four of the walks, from St Genies (walk no. 2), Les Eyzies (no. 5), Domme (no. 10) and St Sozy (no. 12).

What I liked about the book was the detail in the...
Published on 7 July 2006 by D. G. Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
It looked a useful guide with detailed information, BUT my edition was published nine years ago, and must have been written before that, so I guessed it must be well out of date for a walking guide. I might be wrong on that but I sent it back anyway.
Published 14 months ago by broodyjuice

5.0 out of 5 stars I actually used it, 7 July 2006
D. G. Evans (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walking in the Dordogne: Over 30 Walks in Southwest France: 30 Walks in the Region (Cicerone International Walking) (Paperback)

What I liked about the book was the detail in the walk descriptions. For example (walk no 10): "Go through a small hedge to the lower part of the park, where there is an orientation map next to a tall iron cross. With your back to the orientation map, walk out of the garden gates and turn down right on the narrow Rue du Vieux Moulin, following yellow splashes (ignore a track to the left)." This is not just 1:25000, it is 1:1 stuff - much better. The diagrams in the book were fine and actually I didn't refer to the 1:25000 maps at all!

I did go wrong a few times, but in each case it was my fault. I had not read the author's instructions carefully enough or I'd missed a yellow stripe on a tree. But because of the detailed instructions, I soon realised my mistakes (eg: `Where's the canoe shop? I must have gone wrong').

I agree with the author about the ridiculous (my word) `Deviation Provisoire Blazanguet' (walk no 12), which winds round and round and up and down in a small wood. By the way the use of heavy type in the book to indicate sections where the walker has to be especially wary is a useful feature.

In advance, I thought that the authors timings for the walks were generous, ie too long. But in practice, each one was about hour too short. However, the weather was hot and I needed frequent water stops, book consultation stops and butterfly identification stops.

In summary, a lovely area and a very useful book for walkers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually acurate!!, 30 July 2008
My girlfriend and I bought this book a week or so before our holiday and completed about 4 of the walks whilst we were in the region.
The descriptions and directions are easy to follow for anyone with half a brain! most walks are signed (sort of) by little coloured arrows/symbols which makes following easier, although this being France they tend to disappear and re-appear at random times!
all in all a very good book for people of varying abilities and well worth it for some off the beaten track sights of rural France!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Walking in the Dordogne, 3 Dec 2009
C. R. Tomkins (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
I usually rely on just ordnance survey maps to plan and undertake long walks. This book was, however, invaluable in suggesting very pleasant walks in the Dordogne. The walks were described very accurately, pointing out a host of useful waymarks not obtainable from the map. It is well worth the expenditure and enhanced our holiday experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide to lovely walks, 26 Sep 2011
This book is current and accurate in its description of some lovely walks. It is also light to carry, and covers two geographic regions of the Dordogne. Describes and photographs points-of-interest along the way. A very good travelling companion, which I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 July 2013
Just what I wanted. Will try them out this September. Like the layout and the detailed directions which look very easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little book of walks, 14 July 2013
Mrs. R. K. H. Dechant (England) - See all my reviews
We only had time to do one of the walks this holiday (starting in Domme) but it was described beautifully and very accurately. I like the fact that you can go online and check for updates or add your own. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice book, 19 Nov 2012
Nice variety of walks in this book, everyone should be able to find something . Really helped us explore the Dordogne area and its varied landscapes- vineyards, river gorges etc

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 April 2013