Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2004
This book is specifically aimed at multi-day hut-to-hut walks. Norway has possibly the best system in the world for mountain huts and so grand trekking tours are very easy (with relatively light sacks - no tent!).
However, even if trekking isn't your game and you want to bag summits, this is still a worthwhile book. It gives a good introduction to many different areas of Norway, and covers a wider range than Bernhard Pollmann's book. What it won't give you of course is a step-by-step description of how to get up the summits - you'll need to do some work yourself...
For those who want to ascend peaks, there is no one definitive guidebook (yet) published in English to the Norwegian mountains. On my last trip to Norway, I took this book, Pollmann's "Norway South", Slingsby's "Norway: the Northern Playground" and Tony Howard's "Romsdal" book. Between the four of them I was able to put together a cracking itinerary for some grand mountain days out.
Whilst it may seem a little over-the-top buying 4 books, compared to the price of a pint of beer in Norway it's a bargain!
on 17 August 2010
This is a brilliant little book which tells you eveything you need to know about walking in Norway. Despite its size, it covers getting there, what to expect, suggested routes, where to buy maps - the works. I can't rate this highly enough
on 28 October 2008
I am a big fan of the Cicerone Guides and have often used their guides as an inspiration to explore hiking opportunities in countries I had never thought there was hiking in!! This guide I found to be very informative and the details of what you will find on the hikes were very acurate. I never used it as a stand alone guide and always bought local topo maps and asked for local advice(Which is ALWAYS essential no matter how good a guide book is!). It is very compact and not heavy at all which is a real bonus! But what I found most important is that being written by a woman the walking times she gave were more accurate for me (I have been caught out before where I was a good 2hrs slower than the guides, NOT pleasant at 8pm trying to find a hut in the dark!!)- its always important to read about the actual writer of the guide book as it will give you an indication of the difficulties of the walks and the conditions in which they themselves did them (and the level of fitness they have in terms of you)!
on 30 May 2009
Being from NZ I have only visited Norway a couple of times, once on business and the second time touring involving lots of single day walks. From this distance its hard to comprehend what trail and hut conditions are like and I had no idea that there are chains of serviced and self serviced huts along the mountain trails so I have been able to identify several long distance walks that I would like to undertake one day. The book has enabled me to work out which hiking maps I need and having bought these I am well on the way towards booking my next trip to Norway! I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 6 October 2013
The book is full of interesting walks. Just like other Cicerone walking guides they are very reliable.
Weight of the book is an added bonus as you would want to carry it with you.
on 17 January 2014
The book is well written and an enjoyable read. I visited the Hardangervidda in late August and hiked for 2 weeks and the description of the area is accurate.
on 4 April 2015
I hardly used it when I was there and I left it in a public library