on 13 March 2012
After reading far too many books on aero engines and their history, I came across this one. I must say I am surprised and pleased at the skill shown by the author in leading us through the history, the components, the metallurgy, etc.

He does this in a surprisingly easy read that covers the JET engine without boring the average reader, without burying us in math and without using deep technical terms. Starting with principles, he leads you into compressors, combustion, turbines, jetpipes, fans, systems, construction and installation.

Most pleasing was his inclusion in the second half (the history side) of some of the fascinating engine designs done within the Soviet Union and the later updates that include excellent discussion on the very latest engines like the GE90 and Trent 1000.

An excellent read.
on 3 July 2015
This book is an elementary text book on the theory and practice of making aero jet and turbines plus a a history of there development and production across the world.
I am a material scientist my degree and manufacturing operations manager so I understood much pf the materials side easily. The aerodynamics and combustion stuff was a little more challenging but the authors delivery brings you steadily to an understanding as to whats going on in each stage of an engine and why.
The historical part starts with Whittle and the German efforts but also covers other pioneers across the globe. The inter play of events that brought success and failure is cronicled in a way which is very absorbing and informative.
After the second world war engine development is broken down into engine types and military and commercial applications. Along the way one gets a potted history of aviation developments which gives the whole book pace and makes it very engagimg and informative.
Bill Gunston has written a tour de force.
I will read it again and understand why its into a third edition
on 3 May 2008
I'm no engineer but cannot wait for a possible future'5th Update'.
Gunston really does make it factual, readable and interesting. worth every penny.
on 14 January 2016
Takes you straight from the principle of how it works through the various developmental stages. Great book. Not as good as the same author's "Piston Aero Engines"..... but that's probably because I prefer SE5a's to Lightenings.
on 4 December 2014
A fitting legacy to a top author and journalist in the field of aviation. An absorbing read.