5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, comprehensive, and stimulating, 8 July 2011
This review is from: The Three Levels of Leadership: How to Develop Your Leadership Presence, Knowhow and Skill (Paperback)
There are a vast number of leadership books available. I have read a few of them over the 25 years that I have worked in financial services management. I confess I have often been tempted by the high profile leadership gurus/business celebrities that flood the market with their wisdom and especially those that offer quick solutions to becoming more successful as a leader and manager.
This book exceeded all of my expectations and it's written in an engaging, honest and practical style. It's easy to understand and the author helps by summarising the information he provides at the end of each chapter, which really helped me memorise it and remain focussed.
What I did not expect at all, was that this book would to take me on a journey of soul searching about how serious I am now, or ever have been, about being the best leader I can be, or indeed the best team member.
By covering psychology, it took me to places, where I have to say I felt distinctly uncomfortable about myself and my performance, not just in business but in my social, spiritual, and family life too.
As a self-help manual, I will be using this book as a reference point for some considerable time to come. Hopefully, familiarity and improvement on my part will ease the personal anxiety of the first encounter.
I am not an expert book reviewer, as you can no doubt tell but I do heartily recommend this book to any team member, manager or leader that wants to improve their business performance and perhaps their life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 10 Aug 2011
This book has allowed me to fully understand what leadership really is. Thinking of leadership as a process and having a clear definition has really enabled to me think about leadership in a clear manner.

James Scouller writes about the mind of a leader and this will allow you to develop in many areas of your life. I have read about self-mastery before and previous texts seem vague; however James Scouller offers a clear and concise picture of what self-mastery really is and what it truly involves.

This book has really added value to the way I think about things, allowing me to progress in an array of areas. I suggest that anyone who is interested in leadership or wants to progress in their career read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - comprehensive, accessible, enlightening, practical, 7 Jan 2013
I came across James Scouller's book "The Three Levels of Leadership - How to Develop Your Leadership Presence, Knowhow and Skill" via an Amazon review of a different leadership book. I'm very glad I did. Here's why...

James is superbly (and unusually) qualified to write this book - he has been a CEO for many years in his corporate career; he was a client of executive coaching during that time; he gained advanced coaching qualifications and accreditation, and started his own executive coaching business in 2004; and he underwent in-depth applied psychology training at the Institute of Psychosynthesis in London.

The book presents a holistic and integrated approach to leadership, is laid out in a comprehensive yet uncluttered manner with "The Key Points" listed at the end of each chapter, and provides an extensive notes section at the end of the book to ensure there is a good flow to the main body. Also there is a supporting website, Three-Levels-of-Leadership.com, with excellent free resources to complement the book.

The three levels are: Personal, Private (1:1 context) and Public Leadership. James sets out Four Dimensions - Motivating Purpose; Task Progress & Results; Upholding Group Unity; Attention to Individuals. The book outlines 14 key private leadership behaviours and 34 for the public leadership domain. It also talks about the difference between Presence and Charisma, as well as underlining the difference between an End Goal and a Performance Goal (I really liked the "ASPECT" Performance Goal-Setting model on page 99).

Crucially, James devotes most time to the personal domain, where he covers The Three Elements of Personal Leadership:
* Technical - knowing your technical weaknesses and continually updating your knowledge and skills
* Attitude toward others - believing other people to be as important as you - or learning to believe it
* Self-mastery - committing to self-awareness, self-integration, growth and flexible command of your psyche

The self-mastery element comprises "A Leader's Map of the Psyche" which presents complex subject matter in a highly accessible manner, including exercises to aid self-reflection, discovery, and action. This map includes Four Levels of Mind (Higher, Lower, Emotional, Physical), The Self (Self-awareness, Will, Imagination), False Self (essentially, a container for one's limiting beliefs), Conscious Mind, Collective Unconscious, and Fountainhead (the source of your life force).

I certainly agree with the author that undertaking the (lifelong) commitment to self-mastery is at the core of how a leader (and indeed, anyone for that matter) can truly become the best they can be, and by extension best serve those they lead. Buy this book and it will be a trusted companion on that deeply enriching voyage of discovery, and to making your highest contribution to self and others.

5.0 out of 5 stars New ideas on leadership, 31 Dec 2012
I have just finished reading the book and thought it was excellent. There are some new ideas that really struck a chord with me:
(1) The four-dimensional definition of leadership and the explanation of the purpose of a leader - the ideas are simple, but they are not obvious.
(2) The three levels model for developing leaders, which is different from what I have read elsewhere as it deals with the leader's psychology.
(3) The difference between leadership presence and charisma.
(4) The qualities of real presence.
(5) Why some leaders find it hard to adopt a servant-leadership mentality.
(6) The two lists of leadership behaviours, along with explanations of the knowhow and skills you need to support them.
(7) The difference between vision and mission and why it matters, plus how a team can together define a vision of their future.
(8) The leader's model of the psyche, which explains the difference between self and mind, how the mind works (especially the importance of beliefs) and how to practise self-mastery.

It is also surprisingly easy to read. Overall, it offers a complete framework for growing yourself as a leader, including techniques to develop your self-mastery and leadership presence and worksheets to help you see which leadership skills you need to improve first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 20 Nov 2013
This is probably an important book, in that it brings together the world of leadership as widely understood by leadership and management writers with the world of personal development and psychotherapy.

The author makes a lot of assertions - many of which I happen to agree with - so it didn't put me off. But that style of asserting things as truths might put some off.

The personal development section - which is long and full - seems to be based around the author's knowledge of psychosynthesis - if you buy into that approach you'll love it. But of course there are many other schools of psychology and you might do well to pick some that work better for you.

The approach is very self-centred - personally I prefer a more relational approach.

Personally I also find the emphasis on what seem to me to be largely cognitive exercises a bit too much like hard work. Although there are some real gems in there including dis-identification and meditation work. It turns into a great handbook of technique as you get nearer the end. But I think it's worth considering the work of people like my colleague Ben Fletcher on behaviour change as an alternative approach.

Overall, well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book., 22 Sep 2013
I found this book easy to read and I really liked the way that it brings together many of the theories of leadership in an understandable and useable way. Having read it it will continue to provide a really useful source of reference for my professional leadership development.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Three levels of leadership, 29 Dec 2012
Excellent book, really easy to read and understand, helps to clarify leadership methods and styles, each chapter ends with a summary, one of the best leadership books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 4 Dec 2012
While many of the ideas in The Three Levels of Leadership are fresh (and much needed in my view), I also liked the writing style. The author promises in the preface not to make the book longer than it needs to be and he keeps it clear and succinct.

In essence, this book offers a practical fifth-generation model of leadership development that builds on the first four generations (the traits, behavioural styles, situational and functional approaches) while bringing in the psychological angle. The ideas on what leadership is, the purpose of a leader and how to develop yourself as a leader - which are at the heart of The Three Levels of Leadership - are insightful and helpful. I found the psychological chapters - along with the explanations and supporting scientific data in the Notes section - especially useful and interesting.

More experienced leaders will find plenty in the book to reflect on if they want to take their leadership to the next level. Younger leaders will find a complete, modern model to accelerate not only their acquisition of leadership knowledge and skills, but also their growth on the more subtle but essential aspects of leadership like authenticity, presence and mental resilience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 15 May 2013
A must read book on leadership which explores leaders and leadership from the three dimensions of public, private and personal. James Scouller has a wonderful ability to introduce complex and multi-layered ideas in an accessible, practical and meaningful way. This book is a really thought-provoking guide for leaders, teams, organisations and those who coach leaders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite right for me, 17 Jun 2014
Susan A. Harris, Prints "Sue Green, St Marys ... (Isle of Man, British Isles) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an introduction to leadership and management and a friend lent me a copy of this book. Unfortunately it is pitched at too high a level though I'm sure it would be good for someone at a more senior level. I did read quite a lot of it and found it of interest but not relevant to my present needs. I had a look for something at the right level and found Who's Driving the Bus? : Leadership & Management in a Few Easy Steps by Sue Gee which I found very well written, informative and entertaining.

11.89