4.0 out of 5 stars Auld Reekie crawls..........., 11 Oct 2010
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
I'm originally from Edinburgh and visit often. Generally I tend to seek out the old haunts and decided it was time for a change....hence this book. Edinburgh is a great city to visit and the walks in this book will let you sample much of the old and new town. The pubs are chosen for both the quality of their beer and their impressive architectural heritage.
The walks don't appear to be to strenuous, although Edinburgh is built on several hills so there will be a fair bit of upping and downing, and most have 3 pub visits to refresh you. It is possible to link several of the walks if you fancy a longer day out.....or a bit of a session.
There are also walks in local towns to Edinburgh should you have time to venture further afield, most of these are accessible by bus or train. this brings me to what looks like my favoured "walk"! Actually it is via the loacl bus service, recently voted one of the best public transport systems in the UK. get yourself a day ticket and have a go on walk 25. 10 of the city's finest architectural pubs.
Cheers!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Edinburgh Pub Walks: Bob Steel - Invaluable, 23 Jan 2012
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
As lovers of good beer and fascinating buildings my girlfriend and I found this book to be invaluable on a recent trip to Edinburgh (our first time in that great city). It is a well set out book with a series of suggested short walks that show off the city and take you to some fascinating watering holes. It is also an excellent guide even if you don't want to do a walk. It has a decent potted history of each pub, clear maps and descriptions of how to find the pub, and a list of beers normally available. We were spoiled, as we happened to be there during a beer festival. The guide led us to some absolutely amazing places that we would never have found just wandering around, and also took us to parts of the city that we might not other wise have been to. Edinburgh is rich with historic and quite outstanding pub interiors, and this book allowed us to see the best that the city had to offer. An excellent and invaluable guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of a book for real ale fans, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
As a regular visitor to Edinburgh, I rate this book highly. Given that there are so many pubs in the city, this gives fans of real ale (and old interesting pub interiors) a good guide to where to go.
The fact that it links pubs into set routes, mainly within walking distance is a good idea too - and for someone making the odd visit it gives you the chance to get away from just the usual tourist streets. Some of the routes need to be done using transport, but most can be walked.
As a frequent visitor I have already visited some of these hostelries more than once, and am looking forward to the others which I have yet to encounter. I also like that fact that the pub prices are included along with food.
The Tass on the High Street (Royal Mile) has now been rebranded as the "No.I High Street", and is personally my favourite pub on The Mile (and I highly recommend their fish and chips which are consistent in their quality and now served wrapped in paper with a pickle!)....an excellent book and well worth the purchase price.
Of course there are many other pubs in Auld Reekie worth visiting, some in close proximity to those in the book - but for real ale, use this excellent guide.
It's interesting to note that most of the famous Rose Street pubs do NOT make the grade!

5.0 out of 5 stars An asset., 6 Jan 2012
D. J. Charnock "Pie Eater" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
As a regular visitor to the capital, I have long wanted a guide which provided me with a good walk and a couple of half decent pubs, something to aim at rather than just aimlessly wandering around the same old beer halls. This hits the mark, and having perused it throughly, I cannot wait for my next trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gift, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
Great walks and the recipient was delighted with it. Includes the areas surrounding Edinburgh to so covers a large area

5.0 out of 5 stars CAMRA Walking Guide Of Edinburgh - You'll Be Staggering After You Read This!, 1 April 2013
D. H. Rose "Rosey" (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) (Paperback)
A really useful little book for those of who like their Real Ale! Edinburgh is quite a hilly City but you soon forget the inclines when following some of the crawls listed in here! Depending on your beer capacity maybe a good idea to limit yourself to half pints but you'll know best!

Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides)
Edinburgh Pub Walks (Camra Walking Guides) by Bob Steel (Paperback - 26 July 2010)