5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong
This guide is great for sourcing out the gems in city, town and countryside alike, that I wouldn't know where there otherwise.

Published on 12 Oct 2010 by Beery Deery

3.0 out of 5 stars Well its the only guide
I live in Rutland and yet again my County pubs are linked with Leicestershire, not that we don't like Leics but we are independent, don't see Cornwall linked with Devon to make a SW entry. Apart from that the book is its usual usefull self and is the only reliable guide available.
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Jolly Jon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still going strong, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)

The Good Pub Guide is okay - but this wins out for me as I'm interested in sampling local produce (i.e beer) in beautiful pubs. This guide focuses on great beer before it considers the pubs - so I know my taste buds are in for a treat with every recommendation.

I also love that the guide makes use of a symbol system - highlighting pubs that are CAMRA award winning (and therefore the best ale pubs in the country) - but also letting me know if the pub has a real fire or serves food - great for plotting out those long cycle routes myself and my partner go on.

This is a winner for me! My grandfather introduced me to the guide and our family always use it when we are planning out an afternoon walk down a canal, or a trip to a national trust property.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy for the glovebox, 8 Oct 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
I get the Good Beer Guide every other year and keep it in the car glovebox. Whenever I'm in a town I'm unfamiliar with I know I'll easily be able to find a decent pub selling top quality beer. The guide is easy to follow and logically laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best there is!, 13 Oct 2010
Mr. P. M. Plumridge (Far North UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
The Good Beer Guide is, in my opinion, the best there is for finding good ales in a variety of pubs. I would not say it is infallible but then again it is just a guide and is compiled by humans writing about real ale that is served by other humans and human error is always possible as is a change of ownership of a pub or even a change of cellarman.

That said previous editions of the guide have taken me to some great pubs from Aberdeen to Penzance and I regard it as an essential when planning my holidays. Not only great pubs for beer but great pubs for food and accommodation. And the book is also well worth reading. Lots of interesting articles about beer, a guide to the breweries producing real ale and notes about many of the beers they produce.

Yes there will always be criticism that a particular pub is not included but the book includes details of how to nominate a pub for the next edition. Yes some people will moan about a pub being included or will claim the guide is biased against a particular brewery or that some areas with excellent pubs do not get a mention but various local factors may account for that.......areas with no CAMRA branch nearby may not be covered as well as those with a thriving branch.......but for all that the book is by far the best guide to real ale pubs that money can buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for BEER, 21 Oct 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
Indispensable if you are looking for good BEER. I personally find that if the beer is good chances are the pub will be too. Going to York for half-term this week and the book has thrown up some gems which I shall definitely be trying to find the time to visit. Heard on the radio the other day that cask ale has shown growth in sales this last year and that numerous new micro-brewereies are opening up: this is why this book is so useful as it lists the breweries too so if you are, for example, on holiday in Cornwall and you come across a beer and brewery you have not heard of before, the guide comes into its own providing background on both. I note the comments re: Youngs on an earlier review. Personally speaking, I'd take a Fullers pub over Youngs every time! All a matter of taste I guess. Great book though - well worth buying

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for the travelling beer drinker, 5 Nov 2010
Brian Jones "beesjay" (Reading, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
Those who enjoy a 'good' pint no doubt know where to find one near home. Where this guide comes in to its own is when you are travelling. Perhaps you are going to a big city to meet someone / see a show / be a tourist - the guide tells you where to find a reliably good pint. It gives a short (around 80 word) review, lists the beers normally served and the opening times and has codes for various features and facilities, such as whether it serves food and is wheelchair friendly. Then again, if you are having a UK holiday the same information can give you ideas for where to eat or start your ramble from. It will also give you details of the local breweries and their beers.

Do remember - it is the Good BEER Guide, not the Good PUB Guide, so the key requirement to gain entry is to satisfy the local branch of CAMRA that a visitor can rely on getting good beer. It might be a back-street boozer serving only one beer with no parking or a country mansion pub with a choice of 8 beers and an adventure playground. But the beer should be good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better all the time, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
I buy the Good Beer Guide every 2 to 3 years.

CAMRA seem to be putting a lot of effort into updating the accuracy of the guide, and I did not have the problem ov visiting pubs that had changed completely from the description or worse - closed.

A great guide with loads of useful information.

A couple of years ago CAMRA seemed to be losing their way and the Good Beer Guide was in danger of being full of adverts. This seems to be under control now.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE guide to good beer, 28 Nov 2010
Wiltshire Bookworm (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
The Good Beer Guide hit on a winning formula many years ago and is still going strong.

If you want to find the best places for a decent pint no matter where you are in the country, then this is the guide for you. The emphasis may be on the quality of the beer, but the symbols accompanying each entry will enable you to decide whether the pub will be just right for you, whether you're wanting a quiet pint or a place which caters for the whole family.

Each CAMRA region independently researches and visits the pubs in their area, so it's the opinions of people who really know their beer which count in this publication. Each entry is just a thumbnail sketch, but CAMRA members are experts at summing up a place in just a few sentences and the symbols show all the pub's facilities is just one line instead of in many sentences. This approach maximises the number of entries the guide can hold, which amounts to many hundreds.

There's also a detailed guide to every real ale brewery in the country with tasting notes for the ales they produce.

We have bought every guide since it first started and this year is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Drinking, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
I buy this book every year because it's a great read. It's useful for when I go away to different places to see which real ale pubs are in that area. Also it's great for looking up the different breweries and beers to see where they are and what their products are like. It should definitely have a place in any beer afficionado's bookcase.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BEER GUIDE 2011, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
This is the best guide to buy for people seeking out pubs that sell high quality real ale. It has various articles that are beer pub and brewery related at the front of the book before you go onto the guide proper.

Pubs listed in the guide are from all corners of the U.K and are very easy to find as the post code to every pub is included, 4,500 pubs are listed in the guide.To the rear of the guide is a list of of brewerys that brew real ale and full address and web sites of brewerys included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beer Guide 2011, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2011 (Paperback)
Invaluable. Where the GBG scores over its inferior rivals is the scrupulous selection mechanism by local unpaid volunteers and the, I think, unique listing of British breweries plus of course a host of articles on the historical and contemporary beer and pub scene.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Good Beer Guide 2011
Good Beer Guide 2011 by Roger Protz (Paperback - 16 Sep 2010)