5.0 out of 5 stars THE pub guide to the best of British beer, 21 Dec. 2008
Wiltshire Bookworm (Chippenham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2009 (Paperback)
2010 update: A must-buy purchase again this year. This guide never fails to deliver.

My husband has every edition of this guide, and used to contribute to the reviews of our local pubs until recently. Lots of CAMRA volunteers each year are needed to survey the real ales of over 4,000 pubs committed to preserving our nation's beer heritage. Well, someone has to do it.

What results is an independent, definitive guide to the nation's pubs serving real ale. It's good for finding a pub locally that you've not tried before and comes into its own on holiday and weekends, when you're new to an area and need to find a decent pub fast.

In addition to the details of the beer served, the guide will tell you whether it's quiet pub, has a real fire, when it serves food, if it has accommodation and a host of other details in addition to a thumbnail sketch of each venue. A separate section provides information on each real ale brewery and beers, complete with tasting notes.

One to keep to hand throughout the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for those who like 'Best', 16 Nov. 2008
J. DARBY (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2009 (Paperback)
I have bought this guide every yeat since '96 and it is still the best guide you can buy. This is not a pub guide but a beer guide, the logic being that a landlord who looks after their beer makes sure everything else falls into place. It is also a surprisingly interesting read (really!) and I don't go away without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original and Still the Best, 17 Oct. 2008
Mr. Thomas Watts (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2009 (Paperback)
By far the best pub guide for the UK, easy to use good info on the pubs, maps for inner city locations, and above all details on what guest and house ales are on offer in each. I've found many a brilliant pub using this guide and its predecessors and hopefully I will continue to.

The only bad thing about it is that its not exactly pocketable, make sure you decide which pubs you're going to visit before you head out, because you probably won't want to take this with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beer In Good Pubs, 15 Nov. 2009
D. H. Rose "Rosey" (NW England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
A CAMRA production. CAMRA= Campaign For Real Ale.
If your partner is into Real Ale this is the ESSENTIAL book for them! It lists local CAMRA groups' choice of pubs that sell Real Ale to a high quality.From all these local groups a county by county list of pubs is assembled for England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands and The Isle of Man.
I regularly consult my GBG at least twice a week and I find it really useful when visiting a new place. Sometimes the choice of pubs is "interesting", especially when you take a group of friends on a GBG pub crawl of a city or town. It always leads to a good debate as to why some choices are made. If you wish to take your partner to "somewhere different", this is the book for you!
I think of my Good Beer Guide as a sort of "Michelin Guide" of pubs!
It lists each pub under LOCALITY, PUB NAME, ADDRESS, OPENING HOURS, TELEPHONE NUMBER, DRAUGHT BEER AVAILABLE IN RISING ORDER OF STRENGTH AND DISPENSE METHOD. There is a really useful set of Symbols listed. The key to these symbols can be found inside the front cover.
In conclusion, if your partner loves Real Ale and you you love him/her, then this is the PERFECT present!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Pub Guide, Year After Year, 15 Oct. 2009
David Palmer (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
I have been buying the Good Beer Guide every year for many years now and it is always the best of the many guides available. It is written and reviewed by the Campaign for Real Ale, with reviews by the local CAMRA branches, so they know what they are talking about, having all the local knowledge and they keep it up to date. I have used the guide over many years in many parts of the country and it has not let me down; all types of pub are listed, from twee country pubs to back street boozers, so make sure you read the information in the listing if you are taking your mother out for Sunday lunch! The other thing you can guarantee is that the beer and cider will always be good - what else would you expect from CAMRA. I even use the guide when I am going away for a few nights - the listings include pubs offering accomodation and I have not been disappointed when I have used them. All in all, the best of the pub guides and the only one you will ever need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ale and Hearty, 10 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2009 (Paperback)
This is a good deal on the Good Beer Guide. Buy it and support Camra. Our pubs are closing and we need a great support organisation like CAMRA who try to prevent the ruination of a great British tradition. This is a great guide which you will enjoy exploring with. Buy the book and join CAMRA. You won't regret either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 14 Jan. 2010
D. J. Charnock "Pie Eater" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
This is not the first edition of the Good Beer Guide I have had, and it will not be the last. All those years I wandered about trying to find a decent pub with beer that I could drink, and what was needed was this guide. Even better, download it into your Satnav! Staying in a strange hotel, a couple of taps of the screen and you have the location, name and route to a decent pint! I'm sorry, but what is there not to like about this?
The real question is, how many pubs can you visit which score a perfect ten out of ten? Last year I found two, plus a whole host of pubs scoring nine and half out of ten. Without the Good Beer Guide I wouldn't have found any of them.

By the way the Star System at the top of this page is wrong, I scored this book six Stars for "I have a copy perminantly welded to me at all times, that's how much I love this book, if I big enough arms I would have it tatooed on them".

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beer Guide 2010, 6 Nov. 2009
Graeme (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
Essential reading for anyone who travels the UK and wants to avoid wasting time and money in awful pubs. This book, as always, contains an amazing amount of knowledge, summarised in easy-to-find sections, and is excellent value for money. And all this for the price of a very small number of pints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Oct. 2009
Mr. P. M. Plumridge (Far North UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
Issued every year the Good beer Guide lists a selection of pubs throughout the UK with just one thing in common. They all sell real ale and the ale meets the quality standard demanded by CAMRA members. I have found some fantastic pubs by using the guide and always read the relevant pages when I am going to visit a new town.

As well as listing pubs the guide lists breweries with details of the real ales brewed and it provides some informative pages on topics related to beer. Another section covers CAMRA's "National Inventory" of pubs that are worth preserving for historical interest.

Two warnings!. Do not buy this for someone who does not like real ale unless you are trying to convert them and remember that like all guides there will have been changes since the book was published. Some for the better and some for the worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST BUY, 18 Nov. 2009
Mark T. Waring (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good Beer Guide 2010 (Paperback)
A must buy for anyone that enjoys pubs and good beer. A truly excellent guide packed with info - so much that it takes a little while to get used to the symbols.

If you enjoy days out or week-ends away this should be by your side if you intend to visit a pub or two.

Good Beer Guide 2010
Good Beer Guide 2010 by Roger Protz (Paperback - 10 Sept. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01