5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, shocking, disturbing masterpiece
Having heard people rave about this book for years, I finally got round to reading it, and I can now see why barely ten years after first publication it is already being described as a 'classic'. It is brilliantly written, deeply disturbing and powerful, and the sort of book you will be thinking about for weeks after finishing, if not longer. I have read other books by...
Published 20 months ago by BookWorm

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long, lots of patience needed to finish it.
I bought this book on the back of all the hype and the movie. As other readers have said, its a hard read. Even if like me you enjoy literary novels and actively seek them out as I do. For about 200+ pages, Eva, the self absorbed narrator tells us her every thought and feeling, after a while we are almost pleading with her to narrate the story of the evil Kevin and his...
Published on 28 Oct. 2011 by mental_nomad

‹ Previous | 166 67 6876 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying narrator., 13 Dec. 2011
I kept reading, hoping that the narrator would change, but it never varied from being a neurotic character's rantings in a letter to someone called Franklin. To be honest, I hate giving up on a book, especially one which was so highly recommended to me, but I had to put this one back on the shelf. No-one would ever write a letter like the one in the book. At least no-one that I know. I think the plot of the novel is probably very imaginative but I couldn't face it being relayed over hundreds of pages written from such an annoying narrator. Also, her style was very frustrating and would constantly allude to events later on in the plot e.g. ' that terrible thing Kevin did...' but we have to wait pages to find out what it was and endure her almost stream-of-consciousness babble in the meantime. Not for me, sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 4 Jun. 2008
H. MACLEAN (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I finished this book a couple of weeks ago and it's one of the best I've read (and I'm not usually a fan of fiction). I know some people have struggled to get into it but I found it interesting from the start. I've read a few reviews and it's a shame that some people who started this were unable to stick it out - I really think they've missed out on an excellent read. It's rare for me to wish a book never ended but with this one I could have happily read on and on. However it did end, and what an ending! Yes sometimes the author does trudge on a bit but if you've been put off by some reviews, please still give it a go - you seriously will be glad you did as it such a cleverly written book. A fortnight after finishing it I'm still thinking about it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype - this book is utter bilge!, 16 July 2007
I am absolutely amazed that this book has got so many rave reviews!
The characterisation is really terrible and the phrasing full of pretentious, empty guff. The other reviewer is absolutely right; the writer clearly knows nothing at all about the dynamics of parenthood! As a result, the book lacks depth and veracity.
It seems to me that the hysteria surrounding books like this reflects the effectiveness of PR and marketing, especially "the Richard and Judy fillip". Shriver has done very well in selling herself after the success of her book but I for one am fed up with her baby-doll dress sense and her vacuous insights on the bleeding obvious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Drag on and on indeed ..., 29 Jan. 2009
I agree indeed with the people who rated this item as 1 Star. My wife loved it (and we usually like the same kind of authors and books), but I must say: I really struggled to read this book, and I was also told that it is getting better after the first 100 pages. I got past that point, it didn't. I gave up shortly after. The story sounds exciting, the book isn't unfortunately ... Too many long unecessary descriptions. It is a shame, as the potential was there for this book to be a great novel !

1.0 out of 5 stars hard going and self indulgent, 24 Oct. 2007
after starting this book and trying my very best to get into it, i had to give up in the end. maybe i'm not 'intelligent' enough to get how 'clever' the writing is, but to be honest i couldn't care less and just thought it was boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth getting into..., 24 Oct. 2007
I read this book on holiday as I had been recommended it by a friend (she read it while she was pregnant and it scared the Hell out of her!) It is quite hard to 'get into' but to everyone out there who struggles...it really is worth it. As you get deeper into the storyline you can't put it down as it slowly dawns on you exactly what Kevin plans to do. Cleverly written right up to the end...almost puts me off having kids!! Tried to give it to my sister but she refused it saying as a clinical psychologist she saw enough of this kind of stuff at work!!!But don't let that put you off....

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have ever read, 5 Mar. 2007
Mrs. Nt Clayton "Nicol" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
Although difficult to start (at times you feel that Shriver has sat with a thesaurus trying to find the longest possible word to use)it was worth the effort, as the story builds so beautifully to a conclusion that will stay with me forever. I think I did actually say "no no no" out aloud as it unfolded. As with "Double Fault" the characters are real and therefore not always likeable, however once you have read Shriver all other books seem supeficial. I've pre-ordered the next ones...

5.0 out of 5 stars You must read this book, 28 Aug. 2009
Read this as part of our reading group. It received mixed reviews - you either love it or hate it. I think it is one of the best books I have read. Sometimes you need to re-read passages of Shriver's prose to get her meaning but surely a good book is worth lingering over and savouring. It blew me away and shocked me in equal measures. I don't keep many of our reading group books on my shelf once they are finished but this one is here to stay. I have since read many of Ms. Shriver's books on the strength of this. They are all excellent but this is definitely the best. Prepare to gasp at the twist. I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea!, 13 July 2013
This was chosen for our Bookclub on the recommendation of a members friend. We will not listen to her again! This book dragged on for the first 100 pages and even then it was only tolerable and I struggled to finish it.........which may I add is a first! I disliked the mother within the first 5 pages! The book dragged on, for me it was too fancily written & pretentious! At our meeting we all agreed we didn't like the way it was written, way too fancy & boring which was a shame as the underlining story was interesting. 3/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshingly un-patronising read, 14 Nov. 2006
Lent and recommended by a friend. Being a Raymond Carver devotee, twist-in-the-tale endings are a real bug-bear, but if you can forgive this all-too-common literary failing then the book is engrossing and unsettling in equal measures. Asking big questions about modern motherhood, responsibility and nature vs nurture, without spoon-feeding any answers or even reaching any conclusions. It is a refreshingly un-patronising read. In the canon of post-Columbine storytelling, like the print and screen offerings from Coupland, DBC Pierre and Van Sant, it is well worth making time for.

‹ Previous | 166 67 6876 | Next ›

We Need To Talk About Kevin
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2005)