on 30 June 2010
I can't remember what made me get this book, but I'm very glad I did. Anyone who has an interest in music from the 'avante garde', or any of these multiplicity of categories to describe new or progressive type music should enjoy this book. He talks about an incredible range of styles and artists and individual recordings. It is also very readable, he achieves this in a number of ways - personal reminiscences of concerts or even just sounds, quoting other authors and artists so as to reflect a multiplicity of voices, but mainly just by being a fantastic writer - there are times when it reads like a book by JG Ballard - the phrase 'chant of my own nostalgia' has definitely entered my consciousness!

This book has made me want to listen to an amazing breadth of artists, most I have never heard of or only their names, and even those I am familiar with, reading this has made me want to listen again in a new light. I've just ordered 'Ocean of Sound', reading this has almost made me look forward to long train journeys!
on 19 August 2015
came quick great read
on 9 December 2014
good copy
on 3 January 2012
This book was a present for my husband. It arrived in very good condition and very promptly. As he hasn't had a chance to read it yet, I cannot comment on the actual book.