4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reads
I disagree totally with the person who wrote the blurb at the back of my copy of this book, as I didn't find Quicksand to be about a woman 'trapped in the conflict between an active and passive sexual behaviour, between sexual fulfilment and middle-class respectability.'

Published 4 months ago by Steffanie Edward

3.0 out of 5 stars Two important novels of the Harlem Renaissance
Published on 3 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Two important novels of the Harlem Renaissance, 3 May 2001
By A Customer
These are two important novels about the African American middle class of the 1920's. "Quicksand" is about a mulatto woman who struggles to fit into society. "Passing" deals with an African American who pretends to be white. "Passing" is the better of the two novels, but both are pretty good. The introduction to this edition provides interesting ways to interpret these two novels (including reading "Passing" as a lesbian novel).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reads, 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Quicksand and Passing (Paperback)

The story, to me is broadly about a young woman, Helga Crane's, search for happiness, contentment and a sense of belonging.

Passing is about two old friends, Irene and Claire, who are mixed parentage, but light skinned enough to 'pass' as white. Claire has taken this option, whilst Irene has not. On a hot summer’s day, the two women run into each other and Claire manoeuvres her way into Irene’s black middle-class life, bringing disastrous consequences.

Quicksand & Passing are both set in racially segregated America in the 1920's. They have complex and emotionally loaded plots with deep psychological and political undertones. The vocabulary and writing style reflect the period in which they were written, making them even more interesting and intriguing reads. Both novels are short, but pacy and allow the reader get a taste of some of the injustices, pain and destruction suffered by people of colour living under America’s Jim Crow laws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a Read, 28 May 2002
This review is from: Quicksand and Passing (Paperback)
I was "forced" into reading this book for my course but after settling down with it, I found I really enjoyed it. Quicksand is an episodic novel about a mixed race woman's quest for happiness and despite her problems faced because of her colouring, many of the problems within the novel are related to human nature also. In Passing, the same idea comes up again but with a mixed race woman "passing" for white. The two main characters are both beautifully written and the storyline is compact enough to be admired. The book is worth reading alone simply for the descriptions of the materials and colours worn by the three women in both novels and the expression of emotion. The only gripe was that both novel could get quite melodramatic and cut the story short, but I still found it a good read. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't pass it up., 23 July 2007
This review is from: Quicksand and Passing (Paperback)
I had to read 'passing' for my literature and it was the first I read. It was a great read and it truly is an absorbing book. I think it gives you a lot to think about when you've finished it too. It definetly inspired me to read more books of the Harlem renaissance. It has gone into the favourites list for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Dec. 2014
Great. Fast delivery

3.0 out of 5 stars Took me a long while to get in to it, 6 July 2013
lianne coates (Bangor, Down United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I gave it a rating of 3 as I didnt hate it but didnt love it either.
I had to come back to the book a number of times to finish it and really I wasnt tweeting my love of this book when I finished.
It would maybe be a great book for people who wanted more of an social history of the time than actually being a 'suck you in and hold you book'.

Quicksand and Passing
Quicksand and Passing by Nella Larsen (Paperback - 19 April 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01