on 2 October 2001
As a experienced telescope user, committed astronomer and Astro Student, I would suggest that every serious user get a copy of this book. You might not own a "light-bucket" ... and have a simple 70mm ... but the tips and tricks are so very useful. I would not hesitate to recommend this publication to all who "know it all". My only hope that Mr Mollise write more like this. It sits proudly on my shelf .. and very well thumbed.
on 19 October 2010
Rod Mollise is well known in the Astronomy community, for his frequent field trips, which he publishes weekly on his own blogspot.
His writings are educational, and often humorous. Most amature astronomers will be able to relate to his tribulations easily.

His book, ""Choosing and using a Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope", is clear, and covers all aspects of the title very adequately.
There are very few books which seek to enlighten and educate on this subject to any depth, and Rod's book helps fill the literal vacuum on this subject.
Completely recommended to all Amature Astronomers of all capabilities.
Because I was so impressed with it, I also purchased his other book "The Urban Astronomers Guide", which I also recommend without reservation.
on 10 March 2014
Absolutely do not buy this book! Rod Mollise is a fabulously engaging writer and his books are always worth reading, but this is the first edition of this book and it is now so hopelessly out of date as to render it of no other than historical value. I note the following details listed under Amazon's product details for the publisher: "Springer 2001 edition (4 October 2013)" - whatever its meaning, what purpose does the "4 October 2013" date serve, except to mislead the buyer? The edition dated 29 December 2008 is now somewhat out of date but is still useful, and less than half the price listed for this edition. As regards this edition, what is the justification for charging nearly £35 for a book that ought to be pulped? I've spent thousands of pounds via Amazon over the last ten years and have never once felt the urge to write a negative review, but this is the first time that I have felt misled by them, indeed, so thoroughly cheated. One star is one too many.
on 21 July 2011
Great book if you want to know all about the smith-cass type of optical system and how to take care of it. Easy to understand and well written in plain speak. I bought it to get more knowledge on the subject and thanks to this book I went away and bought a different optical system. So in a way it saved me a lot of grief by buying the wrong optical system for my needs. Out of interest I bought a Newtonian system instead. Great book, expensive to buy, but saved me lots of money in the end.
on 12 April 2015