on 4 February 2009
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my children but I've read it more than they have! It brought me right back to my own childhood. I was surprised at how many of the poems I remembered verbatim.

Onto the review! This a beautifully presented and illustrated collection of Milligan's finest silly verse and is a must-see. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Adults will enjoy reading the poems and stories to younger children, older children will have fun on their own... and I bet a lot of adults will be sneaking a peek from time to time.

Milligan's finest work, I think.
on 13 October 2001
Yet again another example fo Spike's excellent works, this time in verse.
Spike Milligan has created laughter for the whole of his life and this is no exception.
No matter what your age, this is the book to raise your spirits in the long winter nights, or to keep you happily amused while lying on that beach.
Definitely one for the library
on 13 January 2000
I love the poems and stories whether I'm reading out load or just entertaining myself. As for my daughter she definately loves the drawings and ROARS at the lions and MOOS with the cows but she is still working on the Pygmy Hippo.
on 1 May 2009
I bought this for my 6 year old daughter as a treat and she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed it at her age and again now. All the favourites are in there, well presented, with original Milligan drawings to compliment the poems and stories. A great present that has inspired my daugther and me all over again!
on 9 May 2003
I work with a class of 6 and 7 year olds, and after reading a selection of these poems to them, I know it was money well spend. I can't think of a better collection of poems to help children hear, understand and appreciate humour within poetry. The nonsense rhymes have provided hours of amusement to the children (and myself), and frequent requests to re-read their favourite, currently "I've just been attacked by wild bananas"! I much valued book from my collection!
on 15 March 2001
Well what can I say, it is exactly what it says on the cover, silly and yet fun. This however one feels is more than a book of his literary wit, but of his great life as well. It is poems for people of all ages, not just for kids, and so it must be enjoyed. I myself for example find it sheer joy just to sit back and read some lines from this books, for example the"Ying tong idle I po is one of my favourites which I often find myself reciting, If you buy this you will lagh from cover to cover!
on 10 February 2003
This is a wonderful book offering something for everyone. The imagary and the language is unique, funny, and touching. It comes from a mind that has seen the very worst that mankind offers and seeks, through poetry to shield these things from children in a world of amusement and thought provoking messages.
I met Spike once, and made him laugh - very proud of that - although he must have been very proud to think that children and adults all over the world will continue to laugh at is writing.
on 25 August 2012
A beautiful compilation of all of Milligans Childrens poetry and stories, if - like me - you were brought up on Milligan this book will bring the memories flooding back.

A wonderful book for children of all ages and adults too.

'Today I saw a little worm, wriggling on its belly. Perhaps he'd like to come inside and see whats on the telly'

The first poem I ever learned and one that has always stayed with me.

Essential reading, I cant wait til my daughters old enough to enjoy them.

Wonderful stuff.
on 1 July 2009
You can't criticise this volume in any way - Milligan still appeals to all ages and this, with it's original Milligan illustrations, is as popular with my 7 year old as it was with me when I was a child - furthermore, the fact I am no longer a child in now way diminishes the pleasure.
on 11 February 2015
I bought this for my 6 year old who announced one night that she didn't like poems. I introduced her to the Ning Nang Nong and that was the turning point. I'd forgotten just how funny Spike Milligan was, we've all laughed out loud reading this book. She's currently desperately trying to memorise the poem "Monkey, Monkey, Monkey" - as it's quite naughty. Great book, I'd thoroughly recommend it.