5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book From The Late Carry On Legend
Published on 9 Oct 2001 by tjc77@btinternet.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Spirited but not quite 100%
I came to this book some 7 years after Joan Sims death. Perhaps that is why I am looking at this book in a different light.

It was entertaining, and some of the Carry On tales were amusing, though I had heard some before. However there was very little on Joan herself, I felt it read more like a CV of work, and this is an extensive list. It was smattered with a...
Published on 17 Jan 2008 by Jo D'Arcy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book From The Late Carry On Legend, 9 Oct 2001
This review is from: High Spirits (Paperback)
I bought this book last year as I have been a huge fan of Joan's since watching the Carry On films. It follows her life from a child all the way through until the year 2000 where she appered in the BBC comedy film "The Last Of The Blond Bombshells". It tells of the battles she had through her life and the great people she worked with. Saldy Joan died in June 2001, she will be sadly missed - one of our last great's!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classy Lady Carries On, 31 Jan 2003
D. Clancy (Portland, Or USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: High Spirits (Paperback)
I have been a great fan of Joan Sims since I first saw "Carry On Nurse" in 1959. When possible I tried to see every "Carry On" film that came out. Sadly not all of them had Ms. Sims wonderful talents. Also sad is the fact that most of her films were never shown in the U.S. Her autobiography is a delight. With intelligence and warmth she tells us of her life in show business. We learn of her very private life and her relationship with her Carry On co-stars. There was sadness in her life, but she never feels sorry for herself. A very endearing and funny lady. Most if not all of the "Carry On" cast have died. Joan Sims passing last year was a sad day. A real lady with class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad Life Of Comic Actress, 12 Dec 2010
This review is from: High Spirits (Paperback)
Joan Sims was one of the great comic actresses of the second half of the 20th Century.Alas she had a rather sad private life.Often lacking in love from her parents she had rows with them over her decision to live "in sin" with her lover rather than get married.She to a small extent indulged in drugs,uppers,but by her own admission overindulged in food and alchohol.Eventually her depression landed her in a sanitorium which sounds rather like an asylm.She never married or had children which she very much wanted.It is curious how many of the Carry On team also rather suffered a sad and in many cases an early demise such as Kenneth williams,Sid James,Charles Hawtry and Hattie Jacques.One can only wonder what might have been the scenario if Peter Rogers had,as he claimed,offered the stars a share of the profits.So whilst he lived the life of luxury they sometimes ended their lives in dire straits.A real shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars National treasure, 1 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: High Spirits (Hardcover)
At one point, early in her career, Joan Sims was told that she waould never succeed in tragedy as she had "too happy a face" and how true that is. Even saying the words "Joan Sims" brings a smile to the face as you imagine her in one of her trademark matron roles but sadly her career hit a rocky patch and her personal life was at times unhappy. To read in the later chapters of her being passed over for other actors for recent BBC costume dramas is sad indeed: what a waste of a unique talent in British theatre. I bought and read this book as a tribute to Joan Sims who gave me so much pleasure on film. It's a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: High Spirits (Paperback)
I enjoyed this biography as it gave a great insight into the young Joan Sims which is not available from any other sources.
I agree with other reviewers that there is not much depth to the book after she had become established as an actor. The thick pages and large print meant that I was turning the last few pages before I knew it, (I think that I actually read it in one morning sitting).

Joan admits in the foreword that unlike others she hadn't kept a diary, (I wonder was she referring to Kenneth Williams?). She therefore admits that she has had to rely on others to help her fill in the details and to help her remember interesting anecdotes and stories. This is evident in the biography as some of the stories are almost verbatim copies of other stories that have been told by others previously.

I still was very glad to read this book and did feel that I learned a lot about the real Joan Sims. She came across as the nice, kind person I always thought her to be. It was also clear, as so many others have said, why she was considered to be sure a professional, versatile actor and good friend.

It was interesting to read her matter of fact description of what happened to her in her later years. Sad to read about this side of her life and sad that it happened to her after the similar experiences of some of her fellow actors and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars High spirits from a lovely lady, 7 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: High Spirits (Hardcover)
This book is an entertaining read. Joan Sims the tv, film and theatre actress really comes to life on the printed page. We learn about her formative years (an original Essex girl?) and her efforts to get into RADA in the early days of her career. After so many successful years as a stalwart of the Carry On genre, Joan's maturity of character shines through and the reader can't help but share with her her delight at landing other roles which test her acting ability. I'd long wanted to read about Joan Sims and ordered the book from Amazon as soon as I heard it that an autobiography had been published. I wasn't disappointed. I'd really like to meet Joan but I guess I never will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oooh stop messin' about!, 22 Jun 2000
This review is from: High Spirits (Hardcover)
Take a teaspoon of delightfullness, add two drops of coziness, sprinkle on some warmth and joy, leave to simmer in harmless and entertaining bubbliness, and bring to the boil for 15 laughs! This is a guaranteed good buy and Joan, if you read this please drop me a line!

4.0 out of 5 stars not long before she passed away;so it was up to date!, 4 May 2013
This review is from: High Spirits (Paperback)
Written in an understandable phrasing,this is an interesting account of an interesting life. Some of the life events do seem to have been hastily bunched together.It is if Joan seems to be in rush to get the book finished.I do like the simple language because it is clear and easy.I read the book in one sitting.That must mean that it was hard to place down and this fact alone is commendable.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A READ!!!, 14 Jan 2001
This review is from: High Spirits (Hardcover)
this book shows the life of one of englands best loved actress , it was such a good book i miss my stop on the tube!!!! it shows the good, the bad and the sad real life story of "our joanie" and a look at what it was like to make them wonderful carry-on films it is a great book to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 April 2013
This review is from: High Spirits (Hardcover)
Thank you for delivering to my door this great book,which I am delighted to have and looking forward so much to reading.
I was dissappointed with the amount of time it took to receive this book,as I ordered 5 items that day and this was the last one to arrive.
Kevin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

High Spirits
High Spirits by Joan Sims (Hardcover - 1 Jun 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01