on 15 April 2005
A fantastic poetry book for those that love nature. Easy to read (even last thing at night), a real way with words that both gives pleasure and makes you think about the world and your place in it
on 9 July 2012
Mary Oliver is my favourite poet. Apart from my daughter that is. I think she is probably fairly near the top of the list for anyone who is familiar with her work.

Mary's capacity for finding immense beauty in even the smallest or ordinary elements of the world around her is so uplifting that I have found myself crying tears of joy even at times when life has been anything but joyful. She is clearly someone who has experienced deep pain too and expresses it in ways that the reader can both identify with but also feel their soul nurtured.

'Wild Geese' is a great place to experience Mary's uniquely personal yet wonderfully open and warm take on the world. It is a collection of some of her most sublime work, gleaned from other publications and, as the eponymous poem itself says - 'Whoever you are, no matter how lonely, the world offers itself to your imagination, calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting - over and over announcing your place in the family of things.'

Read them to yourself alone or read them aloud with others - her love of life is infectious and beautifully crafted.
on 15 January 2014
I love the poems in this volume. They all generate the spark of connection from the written word to the heart. 'Wild Geese' is a poem I read frequently, particularly when the dark times hit, when you've got to pick yourself up. Even just when it's a winter Monday morning and you just don't want to go out into that dark sky.

Read this book and keep it with you always.
on 8 February 2014
I love this book of poems. My favourite at the moment is The Journey as it is so relevant to life. I have even given copies to people I know who are going through a challenging time due to historical issues and they find it a comfort. I love Mary's ability to be present with the world around her and capture that presence in words.
on 4 June 2014
I love Mary Oliver's simplicity and honesty- she responds emotionally to the beauty and rawness of nature and writes tenderly about life's biggest issues
on 19 October 2012
Mary Oliver observes the present moment in Nature and its significance for the individual with such richness. Nothing is laboured in her writing it just 'is' and she allows a space for the reader to engage with her.
on 30 October 2013
I love this book of poems because I love the subject matters Mary Oliver writes about and her poems are very inspiring and nourishing. A couple of poems from this book first thing in the morning helps me to have a positive outlook on life for the rest of the day. I just love her lyrical and down to earth way of writing.
on 19 July 2014
I love the poetry of Mary Oliver, and this is a beautiful collection, I would highly recommend it.
on 26 February 2015