5.0 out of 5 stars Great poetry, 3 April 2006
Markus Isch "mege1" (Schweiz) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyond Calling Distance (Paperback)
I came across Esther Morgan in a poetry anthology. It was her poem "Hints for Outback Motoring" that crept under my skin because of the atmosphere and the downwards spiral. There are many other poems in this book that are just as good. In many instances, Esther Morgan does tricky things with her language, and then covers them up with making the poems look straightforward. As a reader, the deeper I delved, the more I discovered. I've read all of the poems at least five times, but I don't think I've finished reading the book. It's one of many poetry books I own that I go back to when I want to read something seemingly familiar in a new way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some sublime moments amidst the communication breakdown of ordinary lives, 20 Oct 2007
Jeremy Bevan (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Beyond Calling Distance (Paperback)
Beyond Calling Distance is loosely themed on what we might call `communication difficulties'. At times - and in occasionally unexpected ways - the difficulties stretch the poetry taut, and bring it to a pitch of intensity all the more remarkable for its being borne of ordinary situations. So for example, a small girl stands among cows `like a priest or sacrifice/in the midst of their steaming henge'. A couple are `guillotined' by newly fitted double glazing that cuts them off first from each other and then from the elements outside. Poems like `Neighbours' and `Last Summer' suggest an undercurrent of unfathomable otherness and regret at the heart of social relationships, while the poignant `Office Angel' and `Miserere' are, in their different ways, laments on the silence of routine and privately-borne suffering. Rich and rewarding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finding Her Voice., 6 April 2014
This review is from: Beyond Calling Distance (Paperback)
If you've never read Esther Morgan's work before, start here. If, like me, you've previously read her later work, then don't expect this to be quite as polished or consistent - it isn't. Having said that, for a first collection it's still very, very good - I'm guessing that seeing her work published gave her the inspiration and confidence to develop further: which she certainly did. Her, to date, latest collection, "Grace", is simply stunning: this is more "a poet in progress".

Beyond Calling Distance
Beyond Calling Distance by Esther Morgan (Paperback - 27 Sep 2001)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available